• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cancelled cruises and insurance claims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cancelled cruises and insurance claims

Hi All, we were meant to be boarding Queen Elizabeth today for a well needed 4 day cruise, but I heard just before 10am this morning that it has been cancelled due to Storm Arwen. Cunard say we'll get a full refund, which is fair enough, but does anyone know what the situation is about claiming on insurance? Our out of pocket expenses aren't huge (non refundable coach tickets to the port, day 2 lateral flow tests etc), but the amount of time we've spent completing the now necessary online forms, check in (which kept telling me the credit card I was trying to attach to my onboard account had been 'declined', rather than there had been a glitch in their system since August!) and declarations, as well as applying for two lots of passenger locator forms (and the ink and paper to print them all off, just to be safe), is considerable. Can you only claim for a cancelled cruise when no refund is offered or given or are other claims, such as for the above and the inconvenience and stress that it has caused, be taken into account too? Any help, advice or experiences would be really appreciated.
    Last edited by kwoozahhh, London; 28th November 2021, 02:35 PM.

After I was denied boarding in Nov after having driven to s'ton and obvs all the paperwork etc etc we were offered nothing, but I will use my 2 day test when I come off our xmas cruise, although for the the past two weeks I have had emails from T&T asking about my tests... there is nowhere to fill in that your cruise was cancelled etc etc... Having said that when I rebooked my cruise with fred I got 25% extra for booking plus £400 goodwill gesture and OBC... Probably not much help to you but that was my experience x heather

Comment

• kwoozahhh, London
      kwoozahhh, London commented
      Editing a comment
      That's really good to hear, thanks Heather.

Originally posted by kwoozahhh, London View Post
    Hi All, we were meant to be boarding Queen Elizabeth today for a well needed 4 day cruise, but I heard just before 10am this morning that it has been cancelled due to Storm Arwen. Cunard say we'll get a full refund, which is fair enough, but does anyone know what the situation is about claiming on insurance? Our out of pocket expenses aren't huge (non refundable coach tickets to the port, day 2 lateral flow tests etc), but the amount of time we've spent completing the now necessary online forms, check in and declarations, as well as applying for two lots of passenger locator forms (and the ink and paper to print them all off, just to be safe), is considerable. Can you only claim for a cancelled cruise when no refund is offered or given or are other claims, such as for the above and the inconvenience and stress that it has caused, be taken into account too? Any help, advice or experiences would be really appreciated.
    We were meant to be going on the same cruise. I worked out that I paid out £220 on insurance, car parking and the lateral flows altogether plus a couple of extra bits and pieces. I've requested a parking credit for our next Southampton cruise but will have to suck up the other costs.

As you says though, all that time getting the paper work sorted 😏
    BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

I know you can't help the weather, and of course they have to cancel if they can't get into port, but Iona didn't arrive yesterday, P&O and Cunard are both owned by Carnival.
      I don't think a full refund is enough, they should have offered a refund, and OBC for a future cruise. Haven't even got the option for FCC +25%. Yep, I'm still annoyed, disappointed and upset. Give me a couple of days and I'll be fine! ...........................................Carol

Comment

06:20 Sunday Queen Elizabeth has not docked and is still sailing up Southampton Water. Iona docked earlier this morning. Don’t know why QE didn’t either, she was in the vicinity of the IOW yesterday afternoon. Maybe other problems as well as the weather.

No doubt a lot of unhappy bunnies on board having been bounced about for a couple of days and being late.

Comment

The law just requires full refund for a weather related cancellation.

No further compensation required for incidentals.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

The legal standpoint is useful to know, thanks Topdeck.

But does that also apply to insurers paying out for incidentals etc, or do they use the famous 'Act of God' excuse?

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                I know you can't help the weather, and of course they have to cancel if they can't get into port, but Iona didn't arrive yesterday, P&O and Cunard are both owned by Carnival.
                I don't think a full refund is enough, they should have offered a refund, and OBC for a future cruise. Haven't even got the option for FCC +25%. Yep, I'm still annoyed, disappointed and upset. Give me a couple of days and I'll be fine! ...........................................Carol
                I completely agree, Carol. As Topdeck says, they are only obliged to give us a full refund in this case... but there's nothing to stop them offering a gesture of goodwill or other sweeteners too, especially as this all happened on the actual day of departure, when many people would have already left or, worse still, been in Southampton. After all, they offered a $30 onboard credit when saying that embarkation would be delayed by 4 hours, so people would miss lunch, and although we're now not being charged for the cruise we weren't allowed to take...!
                Last edited by kwoozahhh, London; 28th November 2021, 02:32 PM.

Comment

I heard from a post on another room in this forum that Queen Elizabeth arrived back at the Mayflower Terminal at around 8am this morning. What a shame they cancelled totally, rather than delaying it by a day. We would have settled for 3 nights at the same price, instead of no nights, even if we were just moored in Southampton. Ah well!

Originally posted by kwoozahhh, London View Post
                  Does anyone know whether Queen Elizabeth has docked in Southampton yet, after yesterday's 4 day cruise was cancelled due to Storm Arwen? It apparently hadn't this morning and Cunard's website isn't giving anything away. Hope those who were on the last cruise are alright and aren't going too stir crazy, if they're still onboard.
                  According to the Port of Southampton, she arrived around 8am and is alongside at the Mayflower terminal.

Comment

In addition to Marine Watch another website Vessel Finder is also useful.

Before departing for Southampton I always check to see where my ship is. Moored alongside “Great”. Not moored alongside “ Mmmm, where is she and will she be in in time? Better check the emails”

Comment

I like myshiptracking

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                      X