• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cunard query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cunard query

I tried to post a comment on the very interesting review posted by Jones of Wellingborough on 6 September, but I couldn't submit a response, so I'll ask here...

Their excellent review told me a lot, as my partner and I are thinking of booking to go on Cunard again for the first time since the Pandemic in October, but reading it might make a difference. We went on our first Princess cruise 5 weeks ago, which was OK, but far from spectacular (to say the least), but we felt very stifled, having to be masked wherever we were on the ship, which was offputting, especially as we had all been double jabbed and had negative tests before boarding. However, what Jones said seems to imply that, as there is no official buffet on Queen Elizabeth anymore (which there was on Princess), you can no longer eat whenever you want to and just get waiter service at allotted meal times, like in the Britannia, with an enhanced afternoon tea on embarkation day. Is this right, or have I got this wrong? If it's right, it seems very restrictive, especially if you aren't an early riser or eat at conventional meal times. Is the grill next to the pool still open or are there alternative venues? (I don't remember any others on the Elizabeth). I appreciate things may be evolving, so might change as the weeks and months go on, but any clarification or advice would be really appreciated. Thanks again to Jones for a really comprehensive review, which is well worth reading.
    Last edited by kwoozahhh, London; 9th September 2021, 07:40 PM.

As far as I can make out from reading comments on a Cunard FB group, most things in QE are running as per normal.

Mask wearing is required except when eating and drinking and I'm sure I've read that the buffet is open but with servers plating your food and a waiter is dispensing drinks, you can't make your own.

I hope this has reassured you. Meal times have changed but I think they are changing again if the emails I've had about our November cruise are anything to go by. Early was or is 5.30pm but will be 6pm when we go.
    BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

I don’t know when you’re thinking of booking for but I can’t see all the Covid changes onboard lasting forever. There have been a daily reports from QE from various passengers which you might find of interest, on Cruise Critic.

Comment

Originally posted by kwoozahhh, London View Post
        I tried to post a comment on the very interesting review posted by Jones of Wellingborough on 6 September, but I couldn't submit a response, so I'll ask here...

Their excellent review told me a lot, as my partner and I are thinking of booking to go on Cunard again for the first time since the Pandemic in October, but reading it might make a difference. We went on our first Princess cruise 5 weeks ago, which was OK, but far from spectacular (to say the least), but we felt very stifled, having to be masked wherever we were on the ship, which was offputting, even though we had all been double jabbed and had negative tests. However, what Jones said seems to imply that, as there is no official buffet on Queen Elizabeth anymore (which there was on Princess), you can no longer eat whenever you want to and just get waiter service at allotted meal times, like in the Britannia, with an enhanced afternoon tea on embarkation day. Is this right, or have I got this wrong? If it's right, it seems very restrictive, especially if you aren't an early riser or eat at conventional meal times. Is the grill next to the pool still open or are there alternative venues? (I don't remember any others on the Elizabeth). I appreciate things may be evolving, so might change as the weeks and months go on, but any clarification or advice would be really appreciated. Thanks again to Jones for a really comprehensive review, which is well worth reading.
        I disembarked from the first QE staycation cruise on the 13th August . As a seasoned Cunard customer I can assure you there are not many restrictions that are affecting the delivery of the usual fine Cunard service from our pre covid days.

You are quite correct, there is no self service in the buffet area , however, that's a sensible decision taken by Cunard in this present climate.
        The Lido ( for the time being) is waiter service only. All tables have been dressed in fine linen, china with waiter service. The atmosphere is still informal and the menu/food items are no different than what would normally be on offer during breakfast, lunch and dinner ....the only difference is the guest cannot help them self. The Lido is open ALL day and is on a rolling cycle eg ; from breakfast to lunch and into evening meal ...Throughout the day hot beverages ( Tea/coffee etc) and snacks are still available , these are dispensed by a crew member.
        In addition, there is a jolly good lunch menu in the Golden Lion Pub or a wide assortment of light snacks in Cafe Carinthia . No one has ever been known to starve on a cruise ship .

You might find all this restrictive, however, it's certainly better than the shambles we've been hearing recently from Princess cruises.
        Last edited by Cunardcruiser, at sea; 9th September 2021, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• kwoozahhh, London
          kwoozahhh, London commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for a really informative reply, Cunardcruiser. Very useful to know that at least The Lido is open all day (and, I assume, evening too?) I do love the Golden Lion fish and chips, I have to say. Hopefully things will open up more as time goes on. (and yes, Princess was far from good, masks not withstanding)!
          Last edited by kwoozahhh, London; 9th September 2021, 07:58 PM.

Just done 11 Days on a ship with mask wearing inside except when seated just becomes second nature if you have a comfortable one.

Pretty much 100% compliance by passengers with the occasional woops and stop to put it on.

crew manage 100% even outside I can do my bit did not find it a burden

Masks and serviced buffet rest was business as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
          Just done 11 Days on a ship with mask wearing inside except when seated just becomes second nature if you have a comfortable one.

Pretty much 100% compliance by passengers with the occasional woops and stop to put it on.

crew manage 100% even outside I can do my bit did not find it a burden

Masks and serviced buffet rest was business as usual.
          I have complied with mask wearing as required throughout, and I can assure you I find it anything but second nature. I have tried all manner of masks, and find them all pure torture. We are coming to the end of a week on the North Norfolk coast. Granted, the weather has been exceptionally good, but I can't imagine a cruise under present conditions being more enjoyable. The thought of having to wear a mask for significant parts of the day does not appeal at all.

Comment

• kwoozahhh, London
            kwoozahhh, London commented
            Editing a comment
            We also complied with wearing masks, but, as my partner put it, I'd prefer to be at home and go out for dinner every night!

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post

I have complied with mask wearing as required throughout, and I can assure you I find it anything but second nature. I have tried all manner of masks, and find them all pure torture. We are coming to the end of a week on the North Norfolk coast. Granted, the weather has been exceptionally good, but I can't imagine a cruise under present conditions being more enjoyable. The thought of having to wear a mask for significant parts of the day does not appeal at all.
          Significant parts of the day ?
          You are only wearing it for a couple 'of minutes' walking (indoors) from venue to another .
          You spend more time wearing it in Tesco doing the weekly shop .

Comment

Originally posted by Cunardcruiser, at sea View Post

Significant parts of the day ?
            You are only wearing it for a couple 'of minutes' walking (indoors) from venue to another .
            You spend more time wearing it in Tesco doing the weekly shop .
            That's the point. I rarely wear one now. Food shopping is delivered, and non-food items are bought online. Most of my leisure time is spent outdoors, and if we go out for a meal, it's only a few seconds from walking into the restaurant to being seated. I recon we would have to wear a mask on board ship for at least an hour a day, and that's a price I'm not prepared to pay for the sake of a cruise. It's not as though we haven't cruised many times before.

Comment

Personally I very rarely wear a mask these days other than when entering a store or shop, outside never.

Its not necessary that I don’t like masks but they certainly do not like me, the relief I feel every time I remove one.

Most holiday venue’s including hotels ask that you wear one inside when moving around but not when seated, cannot comment regarding Cunard but these are the requirement for those on Pand O’s Iona.

”All guests will be required to wear a face mask (with no exemptions) in specific areas including the terminal, when moving around indoors on board, and when seated in the theatre. You’re free to remove your mask when seated elsewhere around the ship, when out on deck and when exercising. We’d always recommend you wash your mask daily and choose a good quality, ideally medical grade, standard. Please note that visors and face shields will not be accepted as a substitute for a face mask”
              Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 9th September 2021, 09:35 PM.
              Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

I wear a mask in indoor public spaces.

As 'my' public spaces are either a medical situation or M&S, I'm pretty much maskless. However, I would :LOVE to have to wear a mask if it meant I was on a Cunard ship.

Comment

I know I keep mentioning Scarlet Lady but we had such a great time. Just to let you know we have been home almost 3 weeks now and no covid symptoms. Passengers were not required to wear masks anywhere on the ship. All the crew wore them I felt perfectly safe. Granted we didn't visit any ports. May have been different if we had done. But it shows you can cruise maskless. We also survived a week in Jersey earlier this year where masks not required.
                  I have no objectin to wearing a mask and still do wear one in supermarkets and other risky places. My masks are very comfortable. I have actually made and sold more than 1,000 during the pandemic and have many repeat customers.

Comment

I have sailed on 3 short cruises this year: MSC Virtuosa, Celebrity Silhouette and Virgin Scarlet Lady. I didn't find mask wearing restrictive at all. Possibly the all inclusive nature of the first two cruises helped, because I often had a drink in front of me!

I was just pleased to be away from home, albeit for short periods of time.
                    2018-
                    Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                    NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                    Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                    Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                    Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post

That's the point. I rarely wear one now. Food shopping is delivered, and non-food items are bought online. Most of my leisure time is spent outdoors, and if we go out for a meal, it's only a few seconds from walking into the restaurant to being seated. I recon we would have to wear a mask on board ship for at least an hour a day, and that's a price I'm not prepared to pay for the sake of a cruise. It's not as though we haven't cruised many times before.
                      The longest single trip on Marella explorer inside was the back lounge to theatre at the front and that was just under 2:30, 24 trips to make an hour
                      The other time you would be masked would be while collecting food in the buffet but that is optional as you have waiter service restaurants.
                      typical day probably struggle to get to 30mins total.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

The longest single trip on Marella explorer inside was the back lounge to theatre at the front and that was just under 2:30, 24 trips to make an hour
                        The other time you would be masked would be while collecting food in the buffet but that is optional as you have waiter service restaurants.
                        typical day probably struggle to get to 30mins total.
                        The other issue for us is that we only do fly cruises. We have tried home port cruises before and just don't enjoy them, usually because of cool cloudy weather. We go abroad on holiday for the sun and warm/hot temperatures. 10 hours on an aircraft in a mask? No thank you. Ditto hanging round an airport waiting to board for several hours.

Comment

Masks are still required by law in most places in Wales.

I find them uncomfortable.
                          As I have a hearing problem I also find it very difficult to understand anyone wearing one, making conversation and transactions a problem.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X