• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Venice - Port arrangements for 2022

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venice - Port arrangements for 2022

Hi All

Looking for some advice about cruises originating in Venice for the next year or so.

As was advised here and elsewhere fairly recently, the authorities in Italy have decided that cruise ships above a certain size can no longer operate from Venice in the way they have in the last 20 years or so. Reports vary, but my partner read that the effect of the ruling is that ships cannot dock in the entire lagoon, making the current/established facilities off limits. There is a suggestion that a whole new facility will be built on the mainland close by, but it seems nothing is concrete.

Does anyone have any news about what will be the arrangements for 2022 (and maybe longer given that nothing’s started yet)? Presumably the popularity of Venice as a turnaround port means a solution will be found long term, but what about until then? Any and all advice welcome. Thanks

Originally posted by Tiptopships, Paris View Post
    Hi All

Looking for some advice about cruises originating in Venice for the next year or so.

As was advised here and elsewhere fairly recently, the authorities in Italy have decided that cruise ships above a certain size can no longer operate from Venice in the way they have in the last 20 years or so. Reports vary, but my partner read that the effect of the ruling is that ships cannot dock in the entire lagoon, making the current/established facilities off limits. There is a suggestion that a whole new facility will be built on the mainland close by, but it seems nothing is concrete.

Does anyone have any news about what will be the arrangements for 2022 (and maybe longer given that nothing’s started yet)? Presumably the popularity of Venice as a turnaround port means a solution will be found long term, but what about until then? Any and all advice welcome. Thanks
    I wonder what they'll make it from if not concrete?..

Garf

Comment

Originally posted by Tiptopships, Paris View Post
      Hi All

An article from CNN:

Venice employs armed guards to deal with overcrowding on ferries | CNN Travel

Does Venice need the cruise ships??

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Does Venice need the cruise ships??

Annie
        I think so Annie if they are going to get my juices flowing to restart cruising.

Venice is my first choice for starting a European cruise.

A few days pre cruise stay, a Venice departure for a Greek Isles cruise is as good as it gets for me without going long haul............Wilba

Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post

I think so Annie if they are going to get my juices flowing to restart cruising.

Venice is my first choice for starting a European cruise.

A few days pre cruise stay, a Venice departure for a Greek Isles cruise is as good as it gets for me without going long haul............Wilba
          Morning Wilba

You make the case for the cruise lines needing Venice but does the city NEED the cruise lines??

Like yourself, I have made multiple visits to Venice but unlike yourself never by a cruise ship and never been unfortunate enough to visit the city with a cruise ship in port.

Annie
          Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 31st August 2021, 09:15 AM.

Comment

CElebrity cruises are not going to use Venice as a home port in 2022 but Ravenna , Italy instead - 2.30 drive from Venice. Found out today 8/9/21 from cruise line for oue June 22 cruise. Not a happy cruiser.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post

I wonder what they'll make it from if not concrete?..

Garf

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂, brilliant

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Sailor, London View Post
                CElebrity cruises are not going to use Venice as a home port in 2022 but Ravenna , Italy instead - 2.30 drive from Venice. Found out today 8/9/21 from cruise line for oue June 22 cruise. Not a happy cruiser.
                I like Ravenna but it is NOT Venice. The nearest airport to Ravenna is Bologna.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

I like Ravenna but it is NOT Venice. The nearest airport to Ravenna is Bologna.

Annie
                  I have just checked the cost of taxi transfers from Bologna airport to Ravenna cruise port. A return trip for 1-3 pax is quoted as 275 Euro, travel time 80 minutes. If Celebrity do not include flights and transfers, that’s a large extra expense.

I have only ever sailed from Southampton with Celebrity.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie, Oxford View Post

I have just checked the cost of taxi transfers from Bologna airport to Ravenna cruise port. A return trip for 1-3 pax is quoted as 275 Euro, travel time 80 minutes. If Celebrity do not include flights and transfers, that’s a large extra expense.

I have only ever sailed from Southampton with Celebrity.
                    There is a local company who offers shared transfers to/from Bologna Airport to various towns. I used them for my return transfer to Bologna from Ravenna.

i paid 20 Euros for a o/w transfer from Ravenna to Bologna Airport in 2019.

the company is Shuttledirect.com

i will research my emails.

Annie
                    Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 9th September 2021, 01:00 PM.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X