• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masked cruisers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Masked cruisers

Hi, can anybody help me please? I have seen a short cruise on Cunard Queen Elizabeth for October, which is reasonably priced and fits in with our working schedules. The only thing that is putting us off, is not knowing whether or not the wearing of masks in indoor public areas (such as the atrium, theatre, Queens Room etc is still (or will still be) compulsory, even though all passengers will be double vaxed and presumably have a negative Covid-19 test. This was the case on the Princess Seacation we went on at the beginning of August, where mask wearing was obligatory in all venues except one, where you were allowed to drink while watching the show, and it really spoiled things for us. Also, when we get to Amsterdam for our overnight stay, will we be allowed to do our own thing, or have to purchase expensive group excursions in order to leave the ship? I've tried phoning Cunard to check this and yesterday (Saturday) they were too busy to speak to me and cut me off, and they're closed on Sundays (shrewd move!) I appreciate that things might change for the better or worse in the next two months, but any thoughts or experiences would be gratefully received. Thanks so much!

Remember from the 13 Oct Cunard are no longer fully vaccinated cruises.

A lot can change in 7 weeks(and needs to!.

Have you checked the entry requirement for Netherlands?

https://www.government.nl/topics/cor...ds-from-abroad

UK is very high risk category so you won't be going to Amsterdam if nothing changes in those 7 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
      Remember from the 13 Oct Cunard are no longer fully vaccinated cruises.

A lot can change in 7 weeks(and needs to!.

Have you checked the entry requirement for Netherlands?

https://www.government.nl/topics/cor...ds-from-abroad

UK is very high risk category so you won't be going to Amsterdam if nothing changes in those 7 weeks.

Thank you so much, Topdeck, I didn't know or think of any of these things, but will keep my eyes open and look before I book. No wonder the cruise for the 13th October is so cheap!!! Much appreciated warnings there.

Comment

Have been watching a vlog of a couple who were on the Iona Maiden and it would appear at present all passengers are required to wear masks in all indoor public areas, unless sitting down eating or drinking. This appears to be the requirement in a lot of holiday venues.

Obviously have no idea what the situation will be in October.

Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

I have just disembarked from Queen Elizabeth on Friday from her first staycation cruise, although face masks were mandatory, unlike Princess cruises they only need to be worn when waking from one venue to another or in an elevator.
          Masks could be removed when 'seated in any venue' with the exception of the Theatre. Having to wear a mask wasn't such a big hassle as most of the time one would be either out on the open decks or enjoying the public venues, eating, drinking or interacting with fellow passengers .In the evenings many people took to the dance floor and masks were not even worn.

Masks were not worn for Line Dancing, Zumba Class, Dance Lessons, attending a Quiz or if one was just sitting around reading a book or interacting with others.
          Last edited by Cunardcruiser, at sea; 22nd August 2021, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• kwoozahhh, London
            kwoozahhh, London commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you so much, Cunardcruiser, this is really useful to read. How different was the cruise you've just disembarked from than other Cunard cruises you've taken? Was it better or worse and was anything majorly different? We love Cunard, but are a little sceptical about going back so soon, especially after our recent experiences on Regal Princess for the first time.

• gloandgeoff, Manchester
            Editing a comment
            I am confused.Is there dancing in the night spots ?.I was told there was no dancing allowed

I'm an avid Cunard customer and never step out of my Cunard comfort zone ( with the exception of an occasional cruise with Seabourn)
          I can honestly say, even with some minor covid procedures in place there was very little difference. The onboard product and the usual daily activities remained exactly the same, with the exception of the Lido where there was no self service, however, for breakfast/lunch & dinner it was waiter service and tables dressed in fine linen & china.

There was one small change ( which I believe is only temporary during these staycation itineraries) The evening times for dining in Britannia were open dining and apparently needed to be booked if one wanted a specific time, otherwise turn up and be prepared to wait and return later. One did not have their dedicated table & waiter.
          I was travelling in the grills where there was no change to the dining arrangements. ( there was no change to the dining arrangements in Britannia Club either)

Other than occasionally having to wear a mask when walking from one venue to another, I didn't encounter any problems at all.

Just to add, there was limited guest capacity , a total 959 guests and approx 1,500 crew members . All guests had to be fully vaccinated and I understand the majority of the crew were vaccinated , with arrangements being made for the others .

I met two couples onboard QE who had recently cruised with Princess on one of their staycation cruise and they confirmed what a shambles it had been for them.
          Last edited by Cunardcruiser, at sea; 22nd August 2021, 09:55 PM.

Comment

• kwoozahhh, London
            Editing a comment
            Thank you so much Cunardcruiser that's all really interesting, including the new rules on dancing etc. it certainly sounds somewhat more relaxed than our Princess Seacation was, but we've never had a bad time on Cunard, and have cruised with them the most. Here's to things getting better and fully back to normal in the coming weeks and months!

Clarification on dancing for the Cunard staycation cruises; The original restrictions on dancing have now been lifted ( as of 13th August) There are the usual daily dance lessons ( by a professional couple) twice a day at 10am and 12,30pm.
          There is Ballroom/Latin dancing in the Queens Room in the evenings, however, for the time being there is no 'disco dancing' in the night club, although there is still a live band and a DJ providing music and bar service until the early hours of the morning. Weather permitting at the 'sail away' dancing is permitted outside on the open deck.
          Last edited by Cunardcruiser, at sea; 23rd August 2021, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• gloandgeoff, Manchester
            Editing a comment
            Do you have any idea why ballroom dancing is permitted and not ‘disco dancing’ ?

Comment

• kwoozahhh, London
            Editing a comment
            Now that's my kind of mask!

Comment

We were on a staycation on Britannia earlier this month and very much enjoyed the experience, dining was a breeze and you were only required to wear a mask when moving around the inside of the ship and in the theatre. The buffet wasn't self service, no dancing was allowed in music venues and you couldn't take drinks into the theatre, other than that it was pretty much business as usual. We are on Regal Princess tomorrow, hopefully they have ironed out the issues mentioned by other cruisers, i would say that Princess are nowhere near as good as P&O as far as explaining what to expect on arrival at Southampton, we still have no idea if we are having to test at the port or just show evidence of a test, the information on the website is unclear and out of date.

Comment

• kwoozahhh, London
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for your views on Britannia, Philnjay, really interesting and useful. I hope your time on Princess is better than ours was and would be very interested to hear the differences between this cruise and the one you took on Britannia. I'm assuming that testing is still in place, which is done in a marquee across the road from the terminal building. When we went, it was very efficient. We arrived quite a while before our late--ish allotted time, handed in our bags, as normal, and were told to go across the road to get tested. Nobody checked what time we should have been there (despite signs telling people not to arrive more than five minutes before the time they had been allotted), just checking our NHS double vaccination certificate and telling us to go in for the test. This, took under 40 minutes in total (we were sent a text message to say that we were negative and to proceed to the terminal building to check in (most of which we had already done on the Princess app beforehand). No more than 10 to 15 minutes later we were on the ship, with cabins already prepared (as, we were told, only 50% were in use, so the other half had been sanitised ready for us to move into). We were in our cabin and unpacking well before our allotted time, always a good thing, especially on a short cruise. Hope you have a great time and I hope to hear all about it when you return.

That has cleared up a few concerns so thanks for the info, i suppose our experience with P&O differed on testing as we entered through gate 20 and went through a drive in test centre, we then drove to the terminal and checked in. It looks like Princess have a different procedure. I will post a review on both experiences once back from this latest one.

Comment

• kwoozahhh, London
              Editing a comment
              I'm not sure if they do both drive in and walk in testing there, as we got the train to Southampton and walked to the terminal, as the weather was good, and the only other people I spoke to about it had been dropped off and so also went to the marquee.

Clarification as to why (for the time being) there is no 'late night disco dancing in the night club' ........The venue is small for 'social distancing' and there is limited air 'circulating' unlike the large Ballroom or outside on an open deck ......Unlike the shambles on Princess and other greedy cruise lines , Cunard are lifting things slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by Cunardcruiser, at sea View Post
              Clarification as to why (for the time being) there is no 'late night disco dancing in the night club' ........The venue is small for 'social distancing' and there is limited air 'circulating' unlike the large Ballroom or outside on an open deck ......Unlike the shambles on Princess and other greedy cruise lines , Cunard are lifting things slowly.
              Greedy cruise lines?

you will have to name them and what makes them greedy.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

Greedy cruise lines?

you will have to name them and what makes them greedy.

Ok , Carnival Cruise line out of Miami ( with their two tier guest system - vaccinated and non vaccinated guests) and MSC to name a few , we now hear have had their fare share of 'covid guest related incidents' Eager just to get back into service $$$$... what ever the consequences .

Comment

Florida cruise lines got forced into a corner to allow unvaccinated on the ships, I have no problems with them making the unvaccinated take extra precautions nothing greedy about protecting passengers.

MSC did a pretty good job showing you can run safe cruises.

The covid cases on ship are fairly common knowledge and to be expected even with proper fully vaccinated.

Cunard start letting unvaccinated on their ships in a few weeks see how it goes then.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                  best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                  agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                  X