• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Royal Caribbean Sep & Oct itinerary changes - anyone else affected? Worth going to ABTA for?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Caribbean Sep & Oct itinerary changes - anyone else affected? Worth going to ABTA for?

Dear Forum members,

Anyone else here affected by the recent (first week of Aug) itinerary changes that Royal Caribbean brought about. We were booked onto Anthem OTS from Southampton, headed for Spain and Portugal in October. Had hoped to get some autumn sun. Le Havre had already been taken off as a port of call and we had been given another Spanish port instead.. We were fine with that, a minor change, plus Le Havre isn't that exciting after all. As many of you know, since the start of Aug RC removed these sailings/itineraries and replaced them with further UK staycation sailings.

My issue with the matter is that Royal are calling this a minor itinerary change and not a cancellation. I believe that as per Package Travel Rules I have the right to cancel for a full refund. And that any vouchers should be refunded too. Royal are allowing us to cancel but insist that any FCC is refunded as FCC, not cash. We took FCC for Odyssey and Harmony deposits in the spring as we knew we could use them towards Anthem. Now we have no RC sailings booked and the 'refunded back to" FCC will expire Sep 2022. No good to us since we have a selection of non-RCL cruises booked for next year.

I have reached out to local CItz Advice but can't get an appointment anytime soon. Anyone else been affected and spoken to them or gone to ABTA? I consider this a major change and we should be given the option to have everything refunded to cash.

Thanks,
    Sanna

We have FCC from cancelled cruises and our agent pointed out it has to be used in a booking, not actually 'used up', by the end of the year. Like you, we have '22 sewn up but no worries as the '23 itineraries will be published in the next month or so and we will use it for '23 bookings.

If we couldn't use the credits, we'd get a refund of monies paid but the 25% contribution by Cunard to our account makes it a no brainer for us.

Comment

I have not seen the detailed change but if it is Spain ports to UK ports that's a major change.

Previous guidelines for a few cruise lines had 2 ports changes as major, but in practice it should be relative to cruise length/ports

I think there were some cases last years and ABTA I think have gone with this as well(they protect the industry not the passenger).

Package regulations refunds are to the source of funds for the booking, that means

If you paid cash or with a refund credit(where you kept your right to convert back to cash) you should get your money back.

If you used a future cruise credit that should be reinstated at least the same value(most had uplifts of x%) or higher value.
      ( I think they should also reset the expiry date relative to the latest cancellation date not keep it at th previous ones)

As Mrs M says check the conditions carefully for booking/sailing dates and as RCI(re check) let you move bookings one trick is to pick something as far out as you can when it gets close to expire then review closer to the time of that sailing if there is something you prefer

Comment

Just look at Anthem Oct cruises they are all but one 5/6 nights were the previous offering also that length?

Comment

Even if I still wanted to go I would reprice as there is senior discount on at least one of the 6n.

£66pppn lead in is not to shabby.

Comment

They are offering a price drop refund and 100USD OBC but we don't want to do 7 days around the UK (length is the same). We'd get back a fair bit as our virtual inside was more than balcony on this UK sailing.

Have two emails where one says FCC is refunded as FCC and another where they agree to a 100% refund - yet my TA wasn't able to get our Harmony FCC refunded, she says. No money has been refunded yet, of course, as it has been only two weeks.

Current terms for FCC refund says book by spring 2022 and sail by Sep 2022 so that is too soon for us. If they offered a longer expiry it wouldn't be a problem at all. I guess I need to wait and see what happens in 30 or so days (what they refund and fight them for the rest).

Comment

Doesnt it depend on the cancellation fees and how many days you are out. Without me researching to much detail I know some lines such as princess were offering part of the refund as a payment reimbursement but part as a FCC which would be the equivalent of the cancellation window

Comment

Another point worth considering - as you had booked a cruise you may have enhance cruise cover on your policy - some pay out £100 pp for a port change. Might be worth checking what cover you have

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
                  Doesnt it depend on the cancellation fees and how many days you are out. Without me researching to much detail I know some lines such as princess were offering part of the refund as a payment reimbursement but part as a FCC which would be the equivalent of the cancellation window
                  When the cruise lines cancel/major change refunds should be 100% back to source in 14 days.

Where you choose not to sail they can make their own rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

When the cruise lines cancel/major change refunds should be 100% back to source in 14 days.

Where you choose not to sail they can make their own rules.

RC don't consider this a 'major' change so no 14-day refund. We are choosing not to sail.. because we think this IS a major change. Cancellation fees/dates do not apply as they acknowledge they've made a change. Just that they don't call this a major and thus allow straight off refund for all payments.

Our photo package and drinks have been cancelled but rest are still pending.

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserGrill, Glasgow View Post

RC don't consider this a 'major' change so no 14-day refund. We are choosing not to sail.. because we think this IS a major change. Cancellation fees/dates do not apply as they acknowledge they've made a change. Just that they don't call this a major and thus allow straight off refund for all payments.

Our photo package and drinks have been cancelled but rest are still pending.
                      Report to ABTA for failure to comply with package holiday regulations and a letter before action.

If booked through a travel agent they should be included in any claims

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                      X