• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Passport Expiry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passport Expiry

I just thought I would remind everyone, or let you know in case you were not aware!.. ... Passport renewal dates changed. For any that have an extended expiry date this is no longer valid. The renewal date is based on ISSUE Date , so if you are going away soon please check yours especially if you are travelling in Europe where you need at least 6 month validity.
    It took me a while to get my head around it but you might think you have plenty of time left on your passport where you may not
    Example:
    Issue date March 2013
    Expiry Date Sept 2023

Actually requires a renewal Sept 2022 ( A year ahead of expiry date)

Because you ignore the 6 month extension and then count 6 months back from issue date

There is a checker on the .gov website Check passport for travel

Should remain valid for UK cruises so can let it run if that's all you are thinking of doing

We did one that was expiring beginning of June turn around was week renewal date past the expiry

That turn around may vary, the one we did JAn 20 was also a week but not been used yet that was 18months+ no wasted

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
      Should remain valid for UK cruises so can let it run if that's all you are thinking of doing

We did one that was expiring beginning of June turn around was week renewal date past the expiry

That turn around may vary, the one we did JAn 20 was also a week but not been used yet that was 18months+ no wasted
      I thought it did count for the Staycations, some people on the P&O Facebook were saying they had to quickly get passports sent of, as they weren't honouring the extra date! .....................................Carol

Comment

That will probably be a P&O policy/requirement other cruise lines may also impose their own policies

If only re entering UK with a UK passport should still be valid till expiry date.

UK has no restrictions other than valid for duration of stay
        (which should not apply to a UK citizen as you have the right to stay indefinitely)

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post

I thought it did count for the Staycations, some people on the P&O Facebook were saying they had to quickly get passports sent of, as they weren't honouring the extra date! .....................................Carol
          Cunard haven't relaxed their 6mth validity for staycation cruises either and neither have Fred.

Comment

https://www.gov.uk/check-a-passport-travel-europe
            www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
              I just thought I would remind everyone, or let you know in case you were not aware!.. ... Passport renewal dates changed. For any that have an extended expiry date this is no longer valid. The renewal date is based on ISSUE Date , so if you are going away soon please check yours especially if you are travelling in Europe where you need at least 6 month validity.
              It took me a while to get my head around it but you might think you have plenty of time left on your passport where you may not
              Example:
              Issue date March 2013
              Expiry Date Sept 2023

Actually requires a renewal Sept 2022 ( A year ahead of expiry date)

Because you ignore the 6 month extension and then count 6 months back from issue date

There is a checker on the .gov website Check passport for travel
              I am a bit confused. We renewed our passport last time in good time which meant we had a few months to go before expiry. We had our normal 10 years plus 5 months on the actual date on the passport. when it got returned. Does this mean that we have to ignore the extra we were given?

Does this mean that you will only effectively get 9 1/2 years going forward every time you renew as you have to have 6months on your passport to travel anyway, so have to renew before 9 1/2 years on passport has elapsed.

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post

I am a bit confused. We renewed our passport last time in good time which meant we had a few months to go before expiry. We had our normal 10 years plus 5 months on the actual date on the passport. when it got returned. Does this mean that we have to ignore the extra we were given?

Does this mean that you will only effectively get 9 1/2 years going forward every time you renew as you have to have 6months on your passport to travel anyway, so have to renew before 9 1/2 years on passport has elapsed.
                It depends on where you want to travel.
                Some countries eg the US, just require validity of passport for duration of stay, some a month validity after leaving, some three months and some six months.

Comment

I think for EU you need to think Schengen rules not all of the EU

eg Ireland and cyrus have their own rules.

Passport renewals stopped getting the extension(max 9 months) for unused time 10 Sept 2019

Anyone that renewed before then can have up to 10y 9m validity

That still leaves a lot of people with potential for passports that have a time of more than 10 years

The second issue is EU only recognized 10 year from date of issue .

Then EU requires 6 month validity.

Ireland is not included in that requirement(its just

A Schengen visa only required 3 months from leaving.

stays are also limited to 90 days in 180 which probably where the 6 months comes from as you can stay for up to 3 months

late next year they are introducing electronic travel system(ETIAS) like the US and Canada.

Yet another fee paying system that need aligning with passport renewals.

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post

Pretty much, but its best to use the checker on the .gov website as Wansborough quoted above

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                      I think for EU you need to think Schengen rules not all of the EU

eg Ireland and cyrus have their own rules.

Passport renewals stopped getting the extension(max 9 months) for unused time 10 Sept 2019

Anyone that renewed before then can have up to 10y 9m validity

That still leaves a lot of people with potential for passports that have a time of more than 10 years

The second issue is EU only recognized 10 year from date of issue .

Then EU requires 6 month validity.

Ireland is not included in that requirement(its just

A Schengen visa only required 3 months from leaving.

stays are also limited to 90 days in 180 which probably where the 6 months comes from as you can stay for up to 3 months

late next year they are introducing electronic travel system(ETIAS) like the US and Canada.

Yet another fee paying system that need aligning with passport renewals.
                      Whilst I have vaguely seen Schengen mentioned, can you explain what it means/is?

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post

Whilst I have vaguely seen Schengen mentioned, can you explain what it means/is?
                        It's the subset of Europe that has no(ish) border control.
                        and a couple of non EU states are included.

The UK was never part of it, we still had border control.

I think this link is a reasonable explanation before Brexit of the country's included.

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/wh...hengen_visa_en

Comment

Marella at it with the 6 month required....

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-b1888735.html

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X