• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were a cruise line what shop or car would you be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by janey2, southampton View Post
    Have found this thread very interesting as cant decide which cruise to do, so maybe you kind people could match a ship for me I shop at Tesco and drive an MG, have only done one short cruise onboard the vision of the seas but that was enough to make me want to do another but there are just too many ships to choose from. Was thinking of transatlantic with ventura but as im new to cruising will the days at sea be a bit too much for a newbie
    My hubby + I really enjoy P&O cruises but would choose our ship carefully and go with the more modern, contemporary offerings from Ventura, Azura, Oceana + there is 1 more adults only one, i forget the name....I avoid the others as they are not for me. I would also recommend either the Med or the Canaries or Baltic etc. from your hometown for the 1st cruise for 10 days - 2 weeks and see how you get on. I find P&O offer very good value especially if you are booking closer to the time of sailing, if you are flexible.

Then again Ocean Village (is perhaps more Tesco) and is extremely good value and do nice cruises all over....if they are still going, I believe they are coming to an end which surprises me. That is a good start for a newbie. The buffet service is very good but you can opt to use the other restaurants for a nominal charge and have plated service. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by the mumfords, Nr. rotherham View Post
      Fred Olsen............... Tesco and a Volvo.
      Well that's what my sil. do, do and drive.
      Wrong! Fred Olsen is certainly M&S and a Ford Mondeo all you want without the Glitz and noise but style and comfort with plenty always going on. Not an oldies cruise line as some seem to think.
      P&O is Tesco and a Range Rover multi purpose and large and a bit brash
      Royal Caribbean is Asda and again a large Range Rover with bull bars
      Swan Hellenic is certainly a Swan, Laura Ashly and a Chrysler. Wonderfull
      Done all these and others over 25 cruises (lost count after this) started cruising in 1984
      I would be a Swan or a Fred any day
      Last edited by Long cruiser, Dollar; 4th June 2010, 12:06 PM. Reason: Adding

Comment

[QUOTE=Done all these and others over 25 cruises (lost count after this) started cruising in 1984
        I would be a Swan or a Fred any day[/QUOTE]

Would appreciate your advice being a seasoned cruiser. If we want to go have alternatives our current cruiser (P&O) or go more upmarket which cruiseline would you recommend for us? We are both 40, have contemporary and modern tastes, like interesting and international people so we dont need to stay with a british cruiser. We like the fine dining P&O offer and we like ships to be intimate and to be a ship, so not interested in brash, ice rinks etc. Budget is important to us so Seabourn is ruled out for us for the moment but it woud be good to know your thoughts generally regardless of budget so we can make informed choices for the future. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Indi, Markyate View Post
          Would appreciate your advice being a seasoned cruiser. If we want to go have alternatives our current cruiser (P&O) or go more upmarket which cruiseline would you recommend for us? We are both 40, have contemporary and modern tastes, like interesting and international people so we dont need to stay with a british cruiser. We like the fine dining P&O offer and we like ships to be intimate and to be a ship, so not interested in brash, ice rinks etc. Budget is important to us so Seabourn is ruled out for us for the moment but it woud be good to know your thoughts generally regardless of budget so we can make informed choices for the future. Thanks
          I would highly recommend Celebrity - especially their newer solstice class ships of which there are currently three. Solstice which cruises Caribbean, Equinox which is currently doing med fly cruises or the brand new Eclipse which is doing Southampton-Mediterranean and Scandinavia/Russia Cruises.
          They are modern with a classic twist, very stylish, a little more upmarket that RCI and P&O and come at an affordable budget. Five star dining and their Celebrity Life programme comes with a variety of lectures on history, life and star gazing to wine and food experiences.

Comment

As stated before Celebrity, in particular the new Solstice Class ships.
            Eclipse is getting superb reviews, try the link I've provided to the Review section.
            The only downside from P&O are the drink prices, but then again the Solstice ships are a league above anything P&O have to offer at the moment, 5 star ship, 5 star prices!

Click Here..........UKs LARGEST CRUISE REVIEWS SITE for P&O, Royal Caribbean, Cunard
            Wilba

Comment

I would agree with everything that Bradbury and Morton have said about Celebrity. Our first two Celebrity cruises were on M class ships, the Summit and the Constellation. We loved both these ships and found the food, comfort and service to be a step beyond the P & O, RCI and Princess ships we had sailed on before.

Last year we sailed on the Celebrity Equinox (Solstice Class) and for us, it was the best yet. It is a large ship and you have mentioned intimate as one of your criteria so you may prefer the M class ships as they hold around 2000 passengers compared to around 3000 on Solstice class.

Whatever you prefer, do try Celebrity - the Eclipse is currently out of Southampton.

Comment

Thank you and to Bradbury + Wilba,N. You are all speaking with 1 voice so it is great to know another cruiseline we can look to alongside our familiar friend P&O. The 3000 capacity ships sound fine to me as we also found the Ventura intimate despite it's size. RCI definately sound too vast for me (bit like a hypermarket) but solstice sounds very appealing and up-our-street. Thanks

Comment

We started cruising in our early 40's for our Silver Wedding with Swan Hellenic. We were won over to cruising and have seen a lot of the world with this class cruise line trying others and returning as a 'Swanner' often. The Amazon with them was wonderful and they added on the Iguassu Falls as an extra, You should do this area before you die the books say and we agree. It is a cruise line where you will meet people from all walks of life and expertise but only about 700 on board, so it is very intimate and the currency is UK Pounds. The trips ashore are special, not touristy and inclusive in the cost as are the gratuities.
                  We graduated to Royal Caribbean, both their smaller ships(Vision Class) and their middle and large ones, prefer the Vision or Brilliance class. RC's food is very special but the drinks and trips are getting expensive.
                  We have also popped in quite a number of Fred Olsen cruises and enjoyed every one especially the other parts of South America, we have now circumnavigated that continent. We enjoy these as they are very friendly especially the staff who will remember you from previous cruises even if they are more than a year apart. The entertainment is good and include some classic performers. Also there is never any time when there is not a number of activities on offer and again UK pounds and prices. The big bonus for us now with Fred Olsen is that we can sail in summer from Scotland and occasionally (not enough though) fly from Scotland.
                  Our last cruise was with P & O on the Ventura at Christmas but we had to fly from Manchester which is better than London any day but 'Local' would have been better. The Ventura's Freedom Dining is excellent, it is a very big ship more like Butlins with constant very loud pop music and not really a lot of activities if one is not into loud noise, not what we prefer to call cruising. We personally think that P & O have spoiled themselves by going just too big. Big can be beautiful but enormous is not.
                  This is a bit of our cruising history, everyone is different and has different tastes and ideas so you must take your pick and hope for the best. Good Luck. We have had a lot.
                  We haven't mentioned the few disasters on cruise lines that are no more, they needed to fail or sink into the blue yonder.

P & O keep writing to us to book again but their tact that Southampton is 'local'. It is not for us. It is a very long way, we can fly to a lot of the world quicker from Scotland than getting to the south of England, and they sell flying from regional airports yet some how Scotland is not on the map according to the big cruise lines. We do have deep water ports and good airports up here, we are not the back of beyond, the Cruise Clubs and Travel Agents could help if they tried. We flew once on a flight from Edinburgh that dropped down in Exeter to pick up 70 people who had been booked by a South West Travel Agent.
                  Good Luck to all cruisers, unless things change soon we might have to think of some other ways to holiday after 26 years.

Comment

very helpful + interesting. Thank you for your time.

Comment

Biggest

This must be the ultimate cruise ship? Surely they cant get bigger...Can they ???? Oasis of the Seas fort lauderdale 2010
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you and to Bradbury + Wilba,N. You are all speaking with 1 voice so it is great to know another cruiseline we can look to alongside our familiar friend P&O. The 3000 capacity ships sound fine to me as we also found the Ventura intimate despite it's size. RCI definately sound too vast for me (bit like a hypermarket) but solstice sounds very appealing and up-our-street. Thanks
                        We found Eclipse, despite he size, did not feel huge. We are used to very small ships (500 passengers), and expected to feel a bit 'lost' but we loved Eclipse.

Judith

Comment

If I were a cruise line what shop or car would I be?

I have to say I would be Selfridges and a lovely Bently........pure luxury and fantastic service........yes i'm talking about Cunard!

Comment

I'd be one of these. Sailing barefoot in the Keys ...

Liberty Fleet of Tall Ships

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                            X