• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your first time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your first time

Do you remember your first cruise, when you didn't really know what you were doing, paid out a lot of money and hoped you wouldn't mind being cooped up in the middle of the sea in a tin box with hundreds of other people? There was no cruises.co.uk then to help. You just took a chance.
    We were lucky as our first cruise was on Braemar to the Amazon. It was wonderful and we haven't stopped cruising since. :D
    But to be honest my first cruise was a school cruise on the SS Uganda, and we sailed from Greenock to Amsterdam, La Rochelle and Oporto and back to Leith. Now that was fun, although I don't remember much lazing around the pool (was there a pool?) and there was deffo no choccies on the pillow.
    That was probably my intro to cruising although it would be about 20 years on before I boarded the Braemar. :p
    Can you remember your first time?
    sigpic
    Tiggertom
    shaken, not purred

To save me typing /copy pasting follow this link:
    http://www.cruises.co.uk/673-chat/42..._memories.html

Canberra in the early 60's

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post

It must have been a special event as you can remember so much. On the school cruise there was no carpets and we all slept in dormitories and food was served in trays with shapes moulded out of them. Great memories. Glad things have moved on though. :p
      sigpic
      Tiggertom
      shaken, not purred

Comment

I wanted to go on the USS Uganda when I was at school but none of my friends were going so I went back to Belgium instead. :mad: since then I always wanted to go on a cruise. finely managed it in 2002 :D hubbie wasn't so keen. we cruised on Airtoirs Carousel. we had the most fantastic time. it lived up to all of my expectations.......the food, service, staff, entertainment, ports of call all amazing. hubbie was now hooked :D it wasn't till our next cruise on Celebrity Millennium in 2006 that it dawned on us that the Carousel did have one flaw, the decor, but that was it just one flaw. I still get butterflies everytime the bus turns into the dock and I see 'our' ship for the first time and think 'WOW' and want to jump up and down, but feel I cannot show it as it is not my first time.
        don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post

What an experience Bradbury. I have been reading all the other posts on that thread as I must have missed it when I joined the forum in July.

I was never on a boat when young as my mother had a great fear of the water. It was said that she got seasick on the Govan ferry (a short trip from one side of the Clyde to the other). As I got older I did venture on ferries to Ireland and the Isle of Man from the Clyde but I wasn't ever really happy about it.

When cruising started to become popular and friends were raving about it we were not in a position to do so because of family commitments. We had a few tough years with family illness and aged parents but three years ago just after we celebrated our Ruby wedding and after talking about it for years decided to see what all the fuss was about. We went into a travel agents for brochures and much to our amazement came away booked for a cruise on Navigator of the Seas, 8 weeks later. I honestly believe if we had not booked it that day we would still be talking about it.

It was one of the best decisions we ever made. I was still quite nervous about it all but when we arrived at the docks at Southampton and saw the Navigator, well, WOW or OMG was uttered about ever other minute until we were in our stateroom. We had many lovely holidays before, staying in very nice hotels, but we had never ever experienced anything as wonderful as we did on that ship.

We will never forget being on our balcony in the early morning seeing the north coast of Africa before going into the Straits of Gibraltar and experiencing the heat after 2 days of quite cold weather through the Biscay. There was an incredible earthy smell, a mixture of vegetation and citrus which is difficult to describe. We have done that journey 3 times now but have never ever been able to capture that magical atmosphere again. It was so still with no wind and the sea was very calm so it was probably something to do with the weather.

Like most people, we couldn't believe how good cruising was and could have kicked ourselves for waiting so long to do it. When our children saw our photos they said they had never seen us look so happy and that a lot of tension seemed to have slipped off our faces. Going on our 4th in a couple of months and just can't wait but I don't think we'll ever experience anything like our first time of the Navigator.
          Attached Files

Comment

;) Many, many years ago i dreamed of going on a cruise but my husband never fancied it. Then when i had a BIG birthday coming up 6 years ago, he surprised me with a cruise present. Although he was still reluctant, i was so excited. We went on the Island Escape and i cannot explain the feelings i had when i stood on the dock looking up. Everything to me was perfect and we had a wonderful holiday, visiting different ports every day, going to the theatre etc and being thoroughly spoiled, i felt like a queen. Having not travelled much before, this to me was the ultimate. Now maybe, we are a little bit blase because hubby got the bug and we usually take 2 or 3 cruises a year but i still get that buzz when i see the ship for the first time. Feel a little sad when i see the reviews on Island Escape but then age catches up with all of us. I have my memories.

Comment

My (our) first cruise was in May last year. We had never considered a cruise until we saw an ad in the paper for a Royal Caribbean cruise on Jewel of the Seas to the Baltics. What caught our eye was 2 days in St Petersburg amongst the other capital cities of that area.
              I had only ever seen cruise ships as blocks of flats on water, which I didn't find very appealing, having sailed on 'real' boats-yachts and dinghies. However, when we caught our first glimpse of 'The Jewel' at Harwich, we were instantly hooked. I am now a cruise addict/freak. We have since been on OV to the Caribbean and have 2 more cruises booked on Discovery. Oh how I wish we had not turned our noses up at the floating blocks of flats- although I now prefer to call them floating hotels.
              Last edited by Smith7; 27th February 2010, 10:58 PM.
              Jill

Comment

I'd forgotten about that post....several people started because of using ferries. I still prefer that to flying, but we all seem to be short of time nowadays....
                Years ago, I dropped into a TA's to ask whether you could go on a cruise ship to some nice beaches.....she looked at me gormless, and said she didn't think so.
                So we left it for another 20 years. Oh, what we missed!
                Jo.
                Jo.

Comment

Our first cruise was *accidental* I rang an Agent (back in 2003) and told them my budget and that we wanted a 3 week holiday maybe bali , as an example (I had NO idea where to visit) when she rang back she said a week in Phuket in Thailand -- then join Star Ship Gemini , cruising the Malaca straights for 9 days and back to phuket for the remainder. I was lost for words -Cruise -- Posh -Old people, everything seemed a trauma (for 30 seconds lol).

I booked it .. told my partner --who did NOT really want to go- packed his suit in the bottom of case (to hide it) and off we went . She is a small ship in comparison to others --but when we first saw her she could have been the QE2 -she looked and was magnificent. And so was the holiday

To this day theeee best holiday ever - and hence we have cruised 1 -2 times a year ever since.

I saw her (Gemini) in Venice this year .. and brought a tear to eye - cracking little ship. Would sail on her again. But think she is now a Quail Cruise ship --who seem to be having financial problems and they have pulled all the itineries now :-(
                  sigpic

Comment

Our first cruise was a 3 day mini cruise from Mombassa to Zanzibar on the Royal star. The ship was very old and the engines would only run for a few hours then we had to drift with the tide!!. The cinema was a projector with a pull down screen on deck showing very old movies. 300 passsenges and we all had a fabulous time the food was amazing and I have never experienced the level of service we had on that ship. We made some friends who we still meet up with today. It got us hooked and we're looking forwad to trying Fred this week.

Can we have a badge please.

Comment

my first cruise was the Dunloire to Holyhead Ferry OMG it was a cattle ship but I enjoyed it so much ,did Dublin to the Isle of Man again a barge but loved it,when I meet my SF we used to do the Rosslare to Cherburg with the twins in tow. agin thought I was cruising!! MY first real cruise was with Iberica SeaDream?? from Venice I was hooked could not believe the style, the service, the food , different ports.I wantedto stay onboard forever(I cried like a child when we disembarked) since then we have done one or two cruises a year they are getting cheaper all the time.
                      Next year it is the biggie A WORLD CRUISE 104 day I get excited just thinking about it.
                      I am a sea gyspy

Comment

Here is a piece I wrote when this site was under test and has long since been 'wiped'. Fortunately I saved it to 'word doc'.
                        Wilba

Comment

We had it hard in them days got up two hours before we went to bed sucked two grains gravel off ground for breakfast we did :D

Comment

Originally posted by spartan, kent View Post
                            We had it hard in them days got up two hours before we went to bed sucked two grains gravel off ground for breakfast we did :D
                            TWO grains - you were lucky - we only had one! :p
                            sigpic
                            Tiggertom
                            shaken, not purred

Comment

It seems that everyone enjoyed their first cruise. Is that because we were innocents wandering in to a brave new world with no pre-conceived ideas so we accepted everything at face value? Now we have a few trips under out belts, know what we like and dislike and feel comfortable about discussing our experiences and learning from others. :D
                              sigpic
                              Tiggertom
                              shaken, not purred

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X