• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruise Nostalgia- Oriana, 1959

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise Nostalgia- Oriana, 1959

We had a trip to Barrow in Furness museum with U3A this week, and being a ship building port, the marine history was fascinating.
    There was an enormous model of Oriana, 1959, built for the Orient Line... apparently ship builders made these massive models and carted them round the country to show off their wares.
    I discovered that all Orient's ships began with "OR", except for one; that a go-ahead son of the owners decided to change the red and black colour of their ships to "corn yellow", and that Oriana was the first cruise ship to have a swimming pool out on deck. I wondered if the corn yellow was the reason for the colour of P&O's funnels, and the huge fuss made when they were changed to blue? A friend on the trip remembers being taken by her school to see the launch of this ship in Barrow.
    They're still building ships- or boats, as they're called.. the museum is across the road from the largest hangar I've ever seen, containing the latest nuclear submarine.
    Does anyone remember this old Oriana?
    Jo.

Hi Jo interesting item.I sailed on the old Oriana as a teenager. A ship full of character.She had a false second funnel and an observation lounge aft rather than forward.
    Interesting article here:
    Oriana
    She met with a sad end after being sold to China.

Comment

Originally posted by Jocap, Cumbria View Post
      We had a trip to Barrow in Furness museum with U3A this week, and being a ship building port, the marine history was fascinating.
      There was an enormous model of Oriana, 1959, built for the Orient Line... apparently ship builders made these massive models and carted them round the country to show off their wares.
      I discovered that all Orient's ships began with "OR", except for one; that a go-ahead son of the owners decided to change the red and black colour of their ships to "corn yellow", and that Oriana was the first cruise ship to have a swimming pool out on deck. I wondered if the corn yellow was the reason for the colour of P&O's funnels, and the huge fuss made when they were changed to blue? A friend on the trip remembers being taken by her school to see the launch of this ship in Barrow.
      They're still building ships- or boats, as they're called.. the museum is across the road from the largest hangar I've ever seen, containing the latest nuclear submarine.
      Does anyone remember this old Oriana?
      positive that i have seen the old crania in colombo.We could be berthed in Colombo for up to 10 days and every day we would wake up and see a different passenger ship anchored in the harbour ,all bound for the far east and OZ.
      Yes the shipbuilders would build a large model of every ship that they had on the stocks and another model would go the the ship owners, my old company had models on every floor of their head office in London as did all other shipping companies,I often wonder what happened to those ship models ,

jim

Comment

I saw this model Jo in the foyer of the Maternity Ward at Barrow General Hospital back in the early 2000's. It was a monster of a model with push buttons on the front case that you could push to light up the various rooms, although many were not actually working.

Oriana was sister to the much vaunted and overloved (IMO) P&O Canberra.

We sailed on both ships back in the 70's a few times and both myself and wife preferred Oriana over Canberra because of the bars and lounges, although I have in truth very little memory of either ships decor.

My only existing memory of Oriana was the Monkey Bar, a small cocktail lounge with 'cuddly toy' monkeys pinned around the walls.............Wilba
        Wilba

Comment

Yes I remember the old original Oriana well too, having sailed on her in the 70's, along with some of the other P&O fleet which like you mention began with OR - The Orcades, and Oronsay. I recall there was also the Orsova and Himilaya and Chusan around at that time. I am pretty certain that the Orcades and Oronsay had open air pools so I dont think that Oriana was the first to have a pool on open deck as she was newer than the aforementioned ships. She had a lovely aft view lounge on prom deck, I too vaguley remember the monkey bar but think it was in the 'first class' section of the ship

Comment

I'm not sure where you got the outdoor pool information from Jo, but Arcadia and Chusan built in the early 50's both had outside pools in both First and Tourist Class open deck areas.

The Monkey Bar on Oriana was indeed in the First Class section...........Wilba
            Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
              Yes I remember the old original Oriana well too, having sailed on her in the 70's, along with some of the other P&O fleet which like you mention began with OR - The Orcades, and Oronsay. I recall there was also the Orsova and Himilaya and Chusan around at that time. I am pretty certain that the Orcades and Oronsay had open air pools so I dont think that Oriana was the first to have a pool on open deck as she was newer than the aforementioned ships. She had a lovely aft view lounge on prom deck, I too vaguley remember the monkey bar but think it was in the 'first class' section of the ship
              My OH worked on the Himalaya and Oronsay back in those days taking the £10 poms to OZ he has great memories of those times especially when coming through Suez and seeing the Oriana's glass back all lit up a lovely sight .

He also remembers the Canberra he was on the Himalaya destination Sydney, apparently the new Canberra had broken down and the Himalaya had to stand off at Melbourne , to wait for the Canberra to make up time and sail onto Sydney for her debut, all gone now but a lot of happy memories.

We were on Aurora back along and as you know the captain usually asks which PO ships you have been on, Joe went back to the Himalaya and Strathnaver and the captain made us all laugh by then asking if anyone had sailed on the Titanic! of course it was almost a lifetime ago. CG
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                I'm not sure where you got the outdoor pool information from Jo, but Arcadia and Chusan built in the early 50's both had outside pools in both First and Tourist Class open deck areas.

The Monkey Bar on Oriana was indeed in the First Class section...........Wilba
                I may indeed have got that wrong- I was reading something about the Orient line on the wall, and it might have said that the Orient line was the first to introduce pools on deck.
                The model you saw in the hospital is the 2nd Oriana model, not as large as the one I was talking about. It's much smaller, and is in a vast case with mock sea around, and you still can put money in a slot to make it toss and light up... the inscription says it was donated by Barrow hospital.
                The large model is in a glass case on its own, along with other similar models, and has the most minute details on.
                One model ship shown was originally built for the Turkish navy... then WW1 broke out and it was requisitioned by the British Government, and sent to fight- the Turks!
                Barrow in Furness is described as England's longest cull de sac, because you only go there for a reason- you don't pass by. If anyone's interested, there's a beautiful train ride from the main line, such as Manchester or Preston, which runs next to the coast much of the way...unfortunately, the railway is Northern, which has problems at the moment. A lovely area of sea and sand.
                Jo.

Comment

Originally posted by Jocap, Cumbria View Post
                  I may indeed have got that wrong- I was reading something about the Orient line on the wall, and it might have said that the Orient line was the first to introduce pools on deck.
                  The model you saw in the hospital is the 2nd Oriana model, not as large as the one I was talking about. It's much smaller, and is in a vast case with mock sea around, and you still can put money in a slot to make it toss and light up... the inscription says it was donated by Barrow hospital.
                  The large model is in a glass case on its own, along with other similar models, and has the most minute details on.
                  One model ship shown was originally built for the Turkish navy... then WW1 broke out and it was requisitioned by the British Government, and sent to fight- the Turks!
                  Barrow in Furness is described as England's longest cull de sac, because you only go there for a reason- you don't pass by. If anyone's interested, there's a beautiful train ride from the main line, such as Manchester or Preston, which runs next to the coast much of the way...unfortunately, the railway is Northern, which has problems at the moment. A lovely area of sea and sand.
                  Thanks for the info Jo. I'm assuming that the Oriana model at the hospital is still there by your comment.

If that was the 'small' one the other must be a hell of a size............Wilba
                  Wilba

Comment

I remember several of these model ships in glass cases being in place in the old embarkation lounge at Southampton. I remember as a child how the detail on them fascinated me and there were a few buttons you could press which would make a red light come on - what for I cant recall - probably to light up a certain section of the ship, but I did love those models.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                      Thanks for the info Jo. I'm assuming that the Oriana model at the hospital is still there by your comment.

If that was the 'small' one the other must be a hell of a size............Wilba
                      No, sorry- the hospital one is now in the Marine Museum, in a large container like a shop window, as well as the ship builder's model, which is in a glass case- well over a metre in length. The notice says it was donated by the hospital.
                      Jo.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                      X