• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reminders of a wonderful cruise ship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love hearing about the QE2 and would loved to have sailed on her, so I will look out for the programme.

I like hearing about all Cunard/ White Star Line ships.

Only last week, my daughter bought some memorabilia from a Queen Elizabeth voyage in the early 50's, it was fascinating.

The lady seemed to have kept every little ticket and bit of information, including the bon voyage cards that had been sent to her and the original luggage labels.

We spent hours reading everything, it was fantastic. A ship with an interesting history and sad demise.

Comment

Thanks for the info and Photo Malcolm. It is always interesting to hear about old ships that no longer sail.

I made a point of visiting the old Queen Mary when I was at Long Beach 10 years ago. That was before I went on my first cruise.

Jill

Comment

Isn't it 50 years today since she set sail?

Comment

[QUOTE=andyn, kensworth;814893]
          Originally posted by Blondie, Oxford View Post
          Best thing I did getting out of London and moving here, never was much of a walker but now spend most weekends over the Downs and round the footpaths over the Chilterns. Using the phone app, 15 miles yesterday
          Excuse me.....BUT .... we have never been walked over in our lives. ....Neil and Ida Down

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
            We saw it Neil.

Unfortunately, we discovered cruising much later in life, so never sailed on QE2.

In your experience, are the other Cunard ships in any way similar?

We like the QM2 and will be trying QV and QE next year.
            Malcolm's review is great and gives a lot of fine info.

It was our first cruise and we went on QE2 for a long weekend. We were in Mauritania class which was the lowest section with an inside cabin. Ida had bought it, she'd cruised a lot before, and ha d said, "If you don't like cruising I won't ask you again".

I loved it

The food, the service and the living, for want of a better word, was terrific and that was Mauritania. We progressed to Caronia Class on our next cruise and then to Princess Class after that and just loved every minute of it.

We were still working then so holidays were special and well earned.

QE2 was special and the specialness was all over the ship, the style, the decor, and the superb service everywhere you went on the ship. She had one section that could be improved and that was at the rear where the Yacht Club ended there was an open area and then up onto the stern. The renovations that someone mentioned included doing away with this void and changing the whole character of the rear.

Ida and I loved ballroom dancing and QE2 ballroom was so good. Every night after dinner we were whisking our way around that dance floor and just revelling in it. In those days they had Gentleman Hosts who would dance with the unaccompanied ladies, again that was special, we got to know quite a few of them but we found that gradually one by one they changed as many of them found a life partner.

Later when we were on Coronia, the ship not the class, we had some bad luck with our cabin floor cover to one foot with near boiling hot water. Ida had stepped out of bed into it and had scalded her feet very badly. The upside was, however, that from then on when we went on QE2 we were upgraded to Queen's Grill and were able to enjoy many cruises on her until she "went".

Memories aaaaaaahhhh. ....Neil

P.S. We have also enjoyed a night on Queen Mary in Los Angeles Never sailed on her though but she is worth the visit.

Comment

Ida and I loved ballroom dancing and QE2 ballroom was so good. Every night after dinner we were whisking our way around that dance floor and just revelling in it. In those days they had Gentleman Hosts who would dance with the unaccompanied ladies, again that was special, we got to know quite a few of them but we found that gradually one by one they changed as many of them found a life partner.
              They still do on Fred Olsen ships Neil. I am delighted that they do because my OH doesn't/won't dance. On long cruises especially, I have often enjoyed a spin around the dance floor with one of the dance hosts.
              Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
                They still do on Fred Olsen ships Neil. I am delighted that they do because my OH doesn't/won't dance. On long cruises especially, I have often enjoyed a spin around the dance floor with one of the dance hosts.
                It's been about 5yrs. since we were with MSC but I remember they had a officers night where they had a book and they had to get six names of ladies they danced with, always thought that it was one of those things that made cruising so enjoyable. Unfortunately don't know if they still do it.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                  Hi

Slightly off topic. I remember launch day - I was still at school - so I am far too young to have sailed her.

QE2 was not the name the West of Scotland wanted

Annie
                  I remember the choosing of her name Annie. The media were building it into an event and the bookies were offering odds on it. What an anticlimax when it was announced. We all felt deflated. Most thought the choice lacked imagination. Unfortunately we never got to sail on her. We were docked next to her in Lisbon when she was on her very last World cruise.

When Manchester City's new ground was going to be given a name, the city council asked for suggestions. I sent in my suggestion, the 'Commonwealth' stadium as it had hosted the 2002 Commonwealth games. What did they eventually come up with? The City of Manchester stadium

Cheers OSD
                  Our cruising days are over now.................

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                  best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                  agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                  X