• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reminders of a wonderful cruise ship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminders of a wonderful cruise ship

Many of you will never have heard of "Insideout South" on BBC South region.

But you might just like to catch tonight's programme on BBC iplayer when it is updated.

The last quarter of the programme is about a wonderful ship...... QE2 and it brought back so many memories for me of wonderful cruises we had on that ship.

I know that cruise ships have changed but for me QE2 was the epitome of what a cruise ship should be. ......Neil

We saw it Neil.

Unfortunately, we discovered cruising much later in life, so never sailed on QE2.

In your experience, are the other Cunard ships in any way similar?

We like the QM2 and will be trying QV and QE next year.
    Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post

But you might just like to catch tonight's programme on BBC iplayer when it is updated.

The last quarter of the programme is about a wonderful ship...... QE2 and it brought back so many memories for me of wonderful cruises we had on that ship.

I know that cruise ships have changed but for me QE2 was the epitome of what a cruise ship should be. ......Neil
      Neil, Is it likely the programme can be viewed on BBC iplayer in other regions, or maybe just BBC South? It sounds an interesting programme and one I would like the opportunity to see; I am in the East Midlands region.

I also enjoyed some wonderful holidays on QE2. In the latter years, I know many people said she was past her best, but to me, she had elegance, class and style. The food was superb and the service exceptional.

On the subject of Cunard ships, Caronia was also one of my favourites.

Comment

I could not agree more, The Q.E.2 in my opinion is the finest Liner still afloat it disgusts me that she is still tied up in Dubai, She is the finest Ship that was ever built in Scotland & I sailed on her many times and I enjoyed them all, Its such a shame that ship instead of being moored up on the Clyde as a Hotel is over their rusting away.
        ]

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post

Hi! Neil, just something along the same lines, the local "north east tonight " had a bit on the river Tyne and the ships that were built there one of the photos was the Lusitania and many more. I do get very angry when I see all these cruise ships built in Italy & Germany and you then see the Clyde & Tyne ship yards empty and falling into disrepair. When you think about it all that skill and experience lost and gone forever, all we do now is open supermarkets and shopping centres Napoleon was right after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie, Oxford View Post
            Neil, Is it likely the programme can be viewed on BBC iplayer in other regions, or maybe just BBC South? It sounds an interesting programme and one I would like the opportunity to see; I am in the East Midlands region.

I also enjoyed some wonderful holidays on QE2. In the latter years, I know many people said she was past her best, but to me, she had elegance, class and style. The food was superb and the service exceptional.

On the subject of Cunard ships, Caronia was also one of my favourites.
            If you go on to BBCiplayer and type 'inside out' into the search bar, it should show you a list of all the regional programs, just pick south and you should be able to watch no matter where you are in the country.

Comment

BBC One - Inside Out South

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                OK, that's easier

Comment

[QUOTE=andyn, kensworth;814881]If you go on to BBCiplayer and type 'inside out' into the search bar, it should show you a list of all the regional programs, just pick south and you should be able to watch no matter where you are in the country.[/QUOTE

Thanks Andyn. Going off subject, my daughter used to live in Kensworth.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                    Thanks TD, I shall view in the morning.

Comment

Hi

Slightly off topic. I remember launch day - I was still at school - so I am far too young to have sailed her.

QE2 was not the name the West of Scotland wanted

Annie

Comment

[QUOTE=Blondie, Oxford;814889]
                        Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
                        If you go on to BBCiplayer and type 'inside out' into the search bar, it should show you a list of all the regional programs, just pick south and you should be able to watch no matter where you are in the country.[/QUOTE

Thanks Andyn. Going off subject, my daughter used to live in Kensworth.
                        Best thing I did getting out of London and moving here, never was much of a walker but now spend most weekends over the Downs and round the footpaths over the Chilterns. Using the phone app, 15 miles yesterday

Comment

[QUOTE=andyn, kensworth;814893]
                          Originally posted by Blondie, Oxford View Post
                          Best thing I did getting out of London and moving here, never was much of a walker but now spend most weekends over the Downs and round the footpaths over the Chilterns. Using the phone app, 15 miles yesterday
                          Quite a trek! You are supposed to walk 10,000 steps each day, not achieve the three day target in a single day, well done!! Yes, it's beautiful over the Downs, my son-in-law loved spending a day up there kite flying.

Comment

I inherited a "Galbraith's" plastic bag many years ago, which was amongst a whole load of different memorabilia (including some from a POW comp in the Second World War). Inside the bag, which I opened years later, were 3 Glasgow newspapers; the Glasgow Herald, The Evening Times and The Evening Citizen.

There newspapers were all special editions to mark the launch of the Q4. They even have "artists impressions" of what the ship might eventually look like, because even at launch the final design was not complete.

As we were to find out, the Q4 became the Queen Elizabeth the Second (not the QE2). Crafty Brenda!

Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
                              Unfortunately, we discovered cruising much later in life, so never sailed on QE2.

In your experience, are the other Cunard ships in any way similar?
                              I did a transatlantic on-board the QE2 towards the end of her career. Although she was still in excellent condition (she had many million pound refits) although I felt she was out of date. Things that cruisers now expect as standard - like reasonably spacious cabins, an atrium, a raked theatre and lots of balconies were missing.

The dilemma for Cunard was that much of the QE2's original décor was 1960's in style. This is not necessarily appreciated today - although some 'retro' has come back into fashion with some.

In some rooms Cunard had maintained the original 1960's style, in other rooms they had modernised it, creating a bit of a mish-mash. At the time, the standard cabins and dining experience were rather mediocre for quite a high fare paid, in my opinion.

I feel that the Queen Mary 2 is a superior ship is almost every way. She's twice as big and twice as stable.

The QM2 is a one-off, bespoke design. A modern 'ocean liner' designed for transatlantic crossings. Although some of the concepts like the 'Queens Room' and 'Grills' are similar to the QE2, the rooms/ship deign are very different.

The QV and QE are actually standard cruise ships (Carnival Vista class like P&O's Arcadia, and others) designed for cruising, not crossings, but have Ocean Liner style décor. They interiors were actually co-ordinated by Princess cruises American design team (the QM2 was co-ordinated by Brits).

For this reason, to me, the QV and QE have a bit of a 'American' feel of what an Ocean Liner should look like on the inside. I even see hints of Disney! However nobody else agrees with me.

The QE and QV are almost identical, but a very different design of ship to the QM2, but like the QM2, the room concepts and names are similar.

However many passengers like the slightly smaller (more intimate) feel of the QV and QE. However the word 'intimate' is probably an exaggeration, as they are around 90,000 gt - so hardly small.

I still prefer the Queen Mary 2!

Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 19th September 2017, 03:51 PM.
                              See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X