• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MV Carousel - Our first cruise Ship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our first trip was an Alaskan cruise on HAL Westerdam, just after she'd been lengthened. She's now Thomson Dream. We loved that ship.

Comment

Not sure if I can find the info, it is in my archive of a now defunct forum site.

The Seawing did some far east trips so cheap that people would get off part way round stay a week on an island and get back on next time round.

Comment

It's obvious reading some of the posts that there are some very long time cruisers on here, but does anyone have the sames problems as me?

I can remember pretty well everything about the ship on that first cruise on Arcadia back in '58. I also have odd flashbacks of the lounges (we called them Public Rooms in those days) of Canberra and her sister ship Oriana (not the current one), back in the 60's early 70's, but there are ships and ports I went on/to later in the 70's, 80's and 90's I have no recollection of whatsoever.

Anyone else have a total loss of recall about a cruise ship or cruise ports?..............Wilba
        Wilba

Comment

I have some gaps I tried to make a list of all the cruises, ship, date, nights I failed from memory, would need to go back through accounts to find all of them.

I used to keep stuff(brochures/dailies etc.) but started throwing stuff out it was taking up room.

My parents kept the paperwork inc brochures for every cruise they did, I still have them as they were already in a box.

Comment

Wow, that video brought back memories!

Our first-ever cruise was on Airtours' Sundream, Carousel's sister ship, in 2001 (shortly after 9-11). We sailed on Sundream and Carousel about 8 times before the cruise line closed down.

It really was the start of something big: we're well and truly hooked now, with about 25 cruises under our belts, and no intention of stopping for a long time yet.

Other cruise lines tried so far, in no particular order, include: P and O; Celebrity; Princess; Cunard; Island; Thomson; Saga.

.....Laurie.

Comment

We are quite the newcomers when it comes to cruising as our first cruise, 11 years ago, was on Explorer of the Seas. We knew nothing about cruising and just went to a high street travel agents and said we wanted a Caribbean cruise for our honeymoon. We just paid what we were told and had no idea what to expect - I can't believe our naviety now! When we boarded and saw the royal promenade for the first time, it certainly was a 'WOW' moment and we have been hooked ever since, clocking up 13 so far and 3 future cruises booked.
              Cheers Drew and Linda

Comment

It was Carousel for us too, in 1999. It was that awkward last holiday with our sons. It wasn't really for them and they went their own ways, holiday wise, after that. I remember the public areas of the ship being OK but our accommodation was terrible. It certainly didn't give us the cruise bug. That came a couple of years later.

Comment

Originally posted by drewlin, wigan View Post
                  We are quite the newcomers when it comes to cruising as our first cruise, 11 years ago, was on Explorer of the Seas. We knew nothing about cruising and just went to a high street travel agents and said we wanted a Caribbean cruise for our honeymoon. We just paid what we were told and had no idea what to expect - I can't believe our naviety now! When we boarded and saw the royal promenade for the first time, it certainly was a 'WOW' moment and we have been hooked ever since, clocking up 13 so far and 3 future cruises booked.
                  Hi Drew and Linda.

We had the same problem: We'd gone into the travel agents to pay the balance on our next Tenerife holiday; saw the Suncruises poster, and thought it worth looking into. Obviously we'd no idea that websites like CruiseDot existed, so where do you look for info?

We were very lucky in that the adviser we were dealing with was brilliant, spending a lot of time discussing and explaining things so that we could make a sensible, informed decision. But if we'd been seen by a different adviser, who knows what mistakes we might have made?

These days, life is a little simpler, as cruising has grown so much in popularity. Nearly everyone now knows someone who cruises, so advice is much more readily available.

.....Laurie.

Comment

Originally posted by LaurieM, Norwich (2) View Post
                    Hi Drew and Linda.

We had the same problem: We'd gone into the travel agents to pay the balance on our next Tenerife holiday; saw the Suncruises poster, and thought it worth looking into. Obviously we'd no idea that websites like CruiseDot existed, so where do you look for info?

We were very lucky in that the adviser we were dealing with was brilliant, spending a lot of time discussing and explaining things so that we could make a sensible, informed decision. But if we'd been seen by a different adviser, who knows what mistakes we might have made?

These days, life is a little simpler, as cruising has grown so much in popularity. Nearly everyone now knows someone who cruises, so advice is much more readily available.

.....Laurie.
                    You are so right. With the internet, there is a wealth of information available especially from forums like this where everyone is so helpful and willing to share experiences and advice.
                    Cheers Drew and Linda

Comment

My first booking of Seawing was one of those serendipitous moments. I was mooching around travel agents in Portsmouth with a boyfriend looking for a reasonably priced holiday. We saw two ads in a window for cruises. One was for the Caribbean and the other the Far East. The Caribbean was sold out, but the Far East was still available. We booked with no hesitation, with the thought that if we didn't like cruising then it wasn't a great loss as it was so cheap and we would get to see some wonderful places. We only did one cruise together after that.

Originally posted by LaurieM, Norwich (2) View Post
                      Hi Drew and Linda.

.....Laurie.
                      2018-
                      Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                      NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                      Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                      Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                      Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Originally posted by Pete, Mansfield View Post
                        Hi, i would enjoy reading which cruise ships fellow readers experienced when they first began cruising. I guess many of those ships may no longer be afloat. We began in the 90's when Airtours (pre MY Travel) made cruising affordable. We went on the MV Carousel and that was the beginning of a huge love of the seas. Sadly the Carousel has had its day but by chance i came across this great yet sad video of it laying at rest..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXhXEqWKYn0
                        Hi Pete,

My first " sea voyage" other than ferries, was from Southampton to Melbourne, Australia on TV Fairsky, ( Sitmar Line ) in 1959.
                        My first " cruise " was on Galaxy Queen, ( renamed ) of Mediterranean Cruises in 1971, ( ex - S.S. Sydney /Roma ) of Lauro Lines.
                        I loved the video link you provided , very enjoyable yet sad, as you stated.
                        I started a blog in 2013 " Grand Old Ladies Remembered ", if you haven't seen it you might enjoy some of the posts on there.
                        Usual suspects, with great comments, Wilba, Jim and many others, to many to mention!
                        I posted some photographs on it of the old S.S. Orontes, ( Orient Line, absorbed by P&O), I sailed on her in 1961, Adelaide to the U.K.
                        I revisited the blog when I saw your post, my my, looking at those photographs how ships have changed!!
                        looking forward to my next cruise in November, but not the long flights!

Regards

Frank

Comment

Our first cruise was also on Airtours Carousel, July 2002 for two glorious weeks, after which we were hooked!

I loved the food and service inboard, and the entertainment was excellent. Our inside cabin was a bit basic. There was a small bpdouble bed with the springs coming through! And a single bed. Needless to say I slept in the single and hubbie had the springs to navigate bed! Lol the MDR staff would bring out their guitars, and the singers would stand on chairs and belt out a few tunes every night.

Thanks for the memories.
                          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Yes - I remember 'Harry Potter' - he was brilliant!! Everybody enjoyed & the atmosphere on the Sundream was great. We had a few cruises on the ship but I especially remember a Caribbean cruise in 2003- everything was perfect. Happy days!

Comment

Hi all
                              When i started cruising it was a choice Airtours or Thomson,,,,,i only did one Airtours land holiday (that was enough),all my foreign holidays with the kids was with Thomson.
                              So it was only natural i would choose Thomson Cruises (I even joined the Thomson Founders Club)
                              Island Breeze,,Sapphire,and the best,SS Topaz,,,,,every other Thomson ship followed.
                              I even booked the Topaz last sailing,,,what a party that was.

A story......
                              We sailed from La Palma to Madeira one night,,,,,the worst seas i have ever experienced,there were 10 of left standing at the bar by 22:00,,,,the bar manager left use a crate of wine and a bottle of whisky (it was A/I),and all the bar staff went to bed...
                              Next morning in Madeira there was the old 'Carousel'....our Caption said her Captain was a chicken,she should have sailed and passed us in the night going to La Palma,,,he made some excuse not to sail,,,,,The Topaz Captain took pride in never failing to sail,,,,,it was the Empress of Britain n an early life sailing Liverpool to Canada/US

A great party ship was the old Topaz.

JC
                              Last edited by jc, liverpool; 15th August 2016, 05:40 PM.
                              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Our cruising careers also started with Airtours on the Sunbird, a very smart yacht like looking vessel. We did two consecutive years of Med cruising on her in the late nineties, sailing out of Palma. We had an ocean view port hole cabin which I recall as being very basic compared to today's standards, one single bed and the other was a sofa by day!

But the crew were lovely and the food very good and plenty of it. And we got full days at each port, not half a day here and half a day there.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X