• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Worst Ever Cruise Ship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mitchell Derby, Derby View Post
    Wonder if the "makeover" came complete with noseplugs, Philhar??

I don't remember about the door cards, Annie - sounds a farce - but it's good to know Oosterdam was better. The whole thing's a shame as HAL do some interesting cruises around S. America which we fancy seeing, but it's another old ship they use down there and I have to admit we really don't want to risk it again ...

Cheers,
    Lynn
    We have stayed in the odd decent place over the years and know a thing or two about reasonable accommodation. Holland America [we have cruised a couple of times on Ryndam but admittedly, the last time was over 10 yrs ago] was our line of choice before we discovered Queen Victoria a few years ago and whilst I wouldn't put HAL in the 5* bracket, we have had some wonderful cruises on ships of that line and would be very happy to take another cruise on a Holland America ship.

If you see an itinerary you fancy, it's quite easy, with a little research, to find out the age of the ship.
    Last edited by Mrs M; 3rd December 2015, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Wonder if the "makeover" came complete with noseplugs, Philhar??

I don't remember about the door cards, Annie - sounds a farce - but it's good to know Oosterdam was better. The whole thing's a shame as HAL do some interesting cruises around S. America which we fancy seeing, but it's another old ship they use down there and I have to admit we really don't want to risk it again ...

Cheers,
      Lynn

Hi Lynn

HAL are using Zaandam for the South America trips at the moment and we sailed on her at the end of 2013 for 18 nights and the cruise was superb. Friends of mine did the SA itinerary at the beginning of this year and had a wonderful holiday. Certainly no complaints about the state of the ship from any of us.

Jenny

Comment

Ah - Zaandam? Just had a look and it's over 15 years old - reviews seem to vary a lot, with some worrying remarks about the same kind of issues we found on Ryndam, but we'll definitely look into it in more depth

Once again, warmest thanks to you all

Cheers,
        Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
          I thought the Braemar was an old tub.Like cruiserlarne's story we witnessed staff trying to stop cutlery etc falling off tables in the MDR.
          I don't think any of Olsen's ships are 'old tubs'. I find them to generally be well maintained for their ages.

However Braemar did have stability problem in my opinion, before she was stretched. She may still have them?

All old ships rattle and have engine noise, depending where your cabin is situated.
          See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
            I don't think any of Olsen's ships are 'old tubs'. I find them to generally be well maintained for their ages.

However Braemar did have stability problem in my opinion, before she was stretched. She may still have them?

All old ships rattle and have engine noise, depending where your cabin is situated.
            I like all 4 of Fred's ships and I don't see them as old tubs either.

However, our cruise in the Canaries on Braemar last year did prove to be a bumpy ride.
            Jill

Comment

We sailed on the Braemar after she'd been stretched. She's not a good sea ship because of her shallow draught and is best suited to sailing in temperate waters. Having said that we did enjoy our Atlantic islands cruise on her and in no way would we describe her as an 'old tub'.
              We've sailed on a couple of relatively 'new tubs' though.

Cheers OSD
              Our cruising days are over now.................

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                Ok I'll bite but what is wrong with someone wearing a football shirt on a cruise which has an informal dress code?? Better than walking about topless??

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............

Annie
                You can't really be serious!

Comment

The worst ship I've been on was with CMV. I can't imagine ANY of their ships being a pleasure to sail on.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey, Bristol upon Cream View Post
                    The worst ship I've been on was with CMV. I can't imagine ANY of their ships being a pleasure to sail on.
                    Hi Harvey.
                    It must have been bad,,,,,,I thought it would have been Thomson?

At least your cruise with CMV brought you to the great city of Liverpool.

JC
                    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                      Hi Harvey.
                      It must have been bad,,,,,,I thought it would have been Thomson?

At least your cruise with CMV brought you to the great city of Liverpool.

JC
                      Mrng JC

I've never been on a Thomson ship. My unfortunate experience of Thomson was land based. (I'm 'still' waiting for a reply to my letters! )

As you say, CMV brought me to Liverpool and I had a wonderful weekend. Lovely city.

Paddy's Wigwam.

The Philharmonic. (with Gents extraordinaire!!!)

Early morning sail in.

Comment

Hi Harvey.
                        Lovely photo's.
                        I know what you mean about the Gents in the Phil.
                        JC
                        Last edited by jc, liverpool; 4th December 2015, 12:14 PM.
                        C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                        "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Hi JC.
                          They have official guided tours of the Phil's 'Gents' but the last time I visited the 'Gents' to use it for it's intended purpose, a group of girls walked in deciding to have their own unofficial tour. It certainly raised a few eyebrows (and giggles).
                          We always enjoy the restaurant when we visit the Phil. Liverpool is far better than Manchester for a short break or even a night out.

Cheers OSD
                          Our cruising days are over now.................

Comment

I'll never forget the smell of diesel fumes from the Ryndam

So glad we're not the only ones who noticed that - from the lack of comments, sometimes it almost seems we imagined it (I wish!!)

Don't know when you sailed on her, but by 3 years ago most of the fixtures and fittings were fit only for a skip; filthy stained tables and loungers, ripped upholstery, broken light fittings and much more. And don't even mention the food ...

Cheers,
                            Lynn
                            And they even had the nerve to add a daily charge to our account, when we requested a refrigerator in our cabin.

Comment

We have been disappointed by two P&O ships, which were previously operated by Princess Cruises. Americans seem to expect higher standards than British passengers - so Carnival Corporation have transferred Princess ships to P&O, once they had passed their "sell by dates". P&O spent the absolute minimum on refurbishment. Examples have included:

Royal Princess, which became Artemis. A lovely, British built ship. We shall never forget the way the former Royal Princess coped with hurricane force winds in the South Atlantic, following our departure from the Falklands. The seas were so rough that a grand piano overturned in the theatre. The ship had no inside cabins - and every cabin had a bathtub. Following the transfer, P&O spent virtually nothing and did not even bother to replace chipped and rusty bathtubs or stained and smelly carpets in the MDR.

Royal Princess, which became Adonia - and has recently transferred to a new Carnival brand. Again, P&O spent very little on refurbishment, which is a pity because the former "R Class" vessels are superb. Six sister ships are now operated by premium cruise lines, Oceania Cruises (Insignia, Nautica, Regatta & Sirena) and Azamara Club Cruises (Journey & Quest). Oceania spent mega-bucks on major refurbishment and Azamara have similar plans for Journey and Quest. Princess are concentrating upon large ships and have retained one R Class ship only (Pacific Princess), which is showing her age and will be unlikely to survive much longer.

I have not tried Fred Olsen, CMV, Thomson or Voyages of Discovery, and it never ceases to amaze me that British passengers seem to be prepared to tolerate cast-offs from other cruise lines.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X