• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All On Board The Saucy Sal!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jocap, Cumbria
    started a topic All On Board The Saucy Sal!

All On Board The Saucy Sal!

When did you first go out on the sea....be it on a Lilo, a canoe, a paddle steamer...?
    I must have been around 5 years old, and it was on a fishing cobble converted for passengers in summer, at Bridlington. I was enthralled. I knew that Africa was across the sea, and suddenly I saw it, with people waiting on the beach!
    Sadly, the boat had curved round, and I was looking at Bridlington Bay as we returned to the harbour.
    After that voyage, we had to go on a boat every time we went to the seaside, either the Yorkshire Belle from Brid, or Coronia from Scarborough.

• Issyalex, Glasgow
    replied
    When I was a wee girl in the 60's we used to go to Rothesay, the Isle of Bute, for the 'Glasgow fair'. We had to take the ferry from Wemyss Bay to Rothesay pier.
    Last edited by Issyalex, Glasgow; 4th April 2014, 07:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Stan&Cath, plymouth
    replied
    Rome Transfer

Originally posted by tenpin, Basingstoke View Post
    Hi Stan & Cath, the A1 package is now recognized straight away when getting on board (in your cabin) they did go through a period of having problems and you had to go to reception to get it changed. if by any chance the price is on your bar receipt then is the time to get it changed. If it ain't in English it does not concern you. is the way while on board.Favalosa is a nice ship but take your sun glasses.
    A quick question, we will be visiting Rome on Favalosa does the Ship offer coach transfers (obviously at a cost) from the Port to Rome independent from an organised tour.

Leave a comment:

• hat776, malta
    replied
    You see Jo how much we learn from these forums - pretty serious stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Jocap, Cumbria
    replied
    Gosh, an iceberg in the English Channel.....I'd no idea they came around here!

Leave a comment:

• Castle, Sawbridgeworth
    replied
    Apart from pedalos and ferries in the 1940's my first full crossing of the channel was in 1952 My first proper sea journey was when I started working on the passenger ships in 1960. I went through the Bay of Biscay over 20 times with no rough seas but we hit an iceberg in the English Channel!

I remember my first really rough time, and being seasick, going through the Cape Rollers around S. Africa - Christmas 1960. First hurricane in mid-Atlantic in 1962.

Leave a comment:

• tenpin, Basingstoke
    replied
    Hi Stan & Cath,
    the A1 package is now recognized straight away when getting on board (in your cabin) they did go through a period of having problems and you had to go to reception to get it changed. if by any chance the price is on your bar receipt then is the time to get it changed. If it ain't in English it does not concern you. is the way while on board.

Favalosa is a nice ship but take your sun glasses.

Leave a comment:

• Stan&Cath, plymouth
    replied
    Thank you for that Hatt, we know that the cruise will be different to Princess and RCI, from what you have said it all sounds to be fun, we will just blend in with the rest and enjoy. We did book through a Malta agent with help from our Sister-in-law, I think I recall another member mentioning to check your cruise card has 'AI' on it. We are looking forward to it especially joining the Ship in Malta where there is probably only a handfull of people joining. This option is not available when you book through a UK Travel Agent, I think we would have had to embark and disembark the Ship in Barcelona. I think we got a very good deal. Thanks once again, and if you think of anything else we should know or any tips, please let us know.

Leave a comment:

• hat776, malta
    replied
    Originally posted by Stan&Cath, plymouth View Post
    Hello Hatt,

I love that little journey across the harbour, we are regular visitors to Malta, and I mean regular. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law live their (she is maltese - Rosa, they both work at the Riza Hotel in Quawra, we have a timeshare apartment at the Sunny Coast resort) . I would like some advice if you can, we are sailing on a week cruise from Valletta on the Costa Favalosa at the end of April, I have read a few not too good reviews on the Favalosa and seeing as you seem to have first hand experience cruising with Costa could offer any of you comments/recommendations and/or opinions. We have previously sailed with RCI and Princess, Favalosa looks a beutiful Ship.

Thanks
    We've sailed a few times on Costa , including the I'll fated Concordia. As I'm sure you've realised the Maltese enjoy a mixture of English and Italian culture so we found it very easy to blend in. My advice is to go with an open mind and don't try and compare them with RCI and Princess. For example the Italians enjoy joining in games based on traditional Italian songs and there is usually one lounge for this in the evenings. There were two formal nights when ,again, Italian music is played and some waiters sing in the MDR. The waiters dance with the female passengers and passengers and waiters dance the Conga. If you've booked from the Malta Agent. The cruise is AI. We enjoyed our cruises on Costa

Leave a comment:

• Stan&Cath, plymouth
    replied
    Originally posted by hat776, malta View Post
    Well I think I must have been the youngest to have taken a trip on a boat. When I was born shortly after the war, few people had cars and obviously it wasn't possible to take prams on buses. So when I was a few days old my parents took me by ferry across the harbour from Valletta to Sliema to show me off to some relatives.
    Then when I was 2 we went by sea to the UK.
    Hello Hatt,

I love that little journey across the harbour, we are regular visitors to Malta, and I mean regular. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law live their (she is maltese - Rosa, they both work at the Riza Hotel in Quawra, we have a timeshare apartment at the Sunny Coast resort) . I would like some advice if you can, we are sailing on a week cruise from Valletta on the Costa Favalosa at the end of April, I have read a few not too good reviews on the Favalosa and seeing as you seem to have first hand experience cruising with Costa could offer any of you comments/recommendations and/or opinions. We have previously sailed with RCI and Princess, Favalosa looks a beutiful Ship.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• greenaway, ellesmere port
    replied
    Originally posted by cruisegas, cruisegas View Post
    Hi Linda,

You just invoked a lovely memory, the last time I was on a Mersey ferry I had some relatives over from Australia and the QE2 was in port that day making her final call into Liverpool. The quay was buzzing, wonderful.
    Hi Cruisegas
    I think I was on the quayside that day too. Was it the Matthew Street Festival weekend?
    We always went over when the QE2 was visiting.
    My friend's daughter caught the ferry one day from Liverpool to Birkenhead to meet her husband after she had attended a meeting in Liverpool and didn't realise it now does a cruise to the Bar area. Best wishes. LINDA

Leave a comment:

• Bill Board, West Midlands
    replied
    Probably about 1947 I seem to remember being aboard the ferry crossing from Weston-Super-Mare to Cardiff.
    My first real sea voyage was in 1952 on the ferry from Dover to Calais to catch the overnight train into Switzerland as part of my first school trip.
    I remember cars being loaded on to the ferry at Dover by crane, no roro ferries in those days.
    BB

Leave a comment:

• poshtotty, north yorkshire
    replied
    "Empress of Canada "Liverpool to Montreal early 70's as a youngster. Still remember sailing down the St Lawrence..

Leave a comment:

• Lacey, Wirral
    replied
    Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post
    A short ferry ride across the Menai Straits when I was about six. I was very disappointed because I thought my father had said we were going on a fairy boat!
    Travelling on the Mersey Ferry was a regular feature of childhood outings in the 40s and 50s. We used to get the Birkenhead ferry to Liverpool then change to the New Brighton Ferry from where we got the train home. My father always said we were going on a 'Merry Boat'.

Leave a comment:

• Joan Terry, PLYMOUTH
    replied
    My first memory of sailing is going 'Doon The Watter ' for holidays at Kames, near Tignabruaich, in The Kyles Of Bute when I was quite small. My Granny used to take a house for the school holidays there and the family used to come and go. Mostly the children and Mums used to stay all the time and the Dads used to back to go to Glasgow for work during the week.

What memories!

Joan

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X