• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Classic Ships

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic Ships

How about an area where we can discuss 'classic ships' which may no longer be in service.

How about an area where we can discuss technical issues like 'rivets' etc.
    See my cruise blog: HERE

I'm not quite sure what you mean about "Classic Ships" but this is what I used to work on.

Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. ;)

Comment

There have been a couple of Topics on here trying to get threads going on days of old etc. Cruising in the 50's and 60's and classic ships such a Canberra and old Oriana.
      Perhaps there are not too many of us on this site who used to cruise in those golden days.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
        God I've been longing for a discussion
        re. the carbon content of various grades of rivets!

Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Comment

I'm sure such thoughts are "riveting". The past cruises were great but my keenest interest is the next cruise.

Comment

My old ship, above, was built back in the days when they were rivetted. They certainly looked a lot stronger than those of today but maybe it was an illusion! :D
            Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. ;)

Comment

Rivetting - Summer of 1955 -I was 5 yrs.old

My parents took me across the Atlantic on this.

What a tub.
              The emotional scarring is still with me - Can I sue them?

Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
                Perhaps there are not too many of us on this site who used to cruise in those golden days.
                I was too young too, but I am still very interested! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Hampshire Thorn, Fareham View Post
                  I'm sure such thoughts are "riveting". The past cruises were great but my keenest interest is the next cruise.
                  That's funny!

I'm sure like you most modern cruise passengers have little interest in ships gone by. However their evolution is quite facinating to me. New ships often feature design and decor elements from the past.

At one time NCL claimed that they would renovate the SS United States (a 1952 classic Ocean Liner) and return her back to service as a state of the art cruise ship. So the past could become the future! (Mind you it's not going to happen now).

Comment

The SS United States was certainly a lovely ship. I remember being berthed alongside her in Southampton.

Those were the days! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Castle, Sawbridgeworth View Post
                      The SS United States was certainly a lovely ship. I remember being berthed alongside her in Southampton.

Comment

I like the really old ships which were real liners plying their trade between fixed places. I suppose the classics amongst those were the liners vying for the Blue Riband for the fasted trans-Atlantic crossing. I travelled with the P&O in 1958 from Southampton to Bombay (as then) on board the "Canton" which was full of expatriates returning to work in the East or, like me,taking up their first post. I then sailed from Bombay to Karachi on a British India ship (a P&O subsidiary company). Some years later I came home on leave on the Anchor Line "Circassia" from Karachi to Liverpool. These workhorses of the past have long since disappeared. Jet airliners in the early 1960s meant that you didn't have the leisurely return to work on the liner or the pleasant start to your home leave. Ah well, that's progress. I now have to compensate for the disappearance of the liners by regular cruises!! It's ahard life.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
                          How about an area where we can discuss 'classic ships' which may no longer be in service.

You want technical? How about this...

I have a very large deck plan sheet (about 3'x3') from our voyage on Fairsea in 1964. I've scanned a small section to show how different the arrangement of cabins was back then:

There are relatively few outside cabins. Also, toilets and showers are in communal blocks.

Comment

Yes, I've seen it. Not a happy sight.

I also remember the launch of the SS France. Another classic design ship. She was even longer than the United States and I had a tour round her in her first year. It looked very impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave, Whitstable View Post
                              There are relatively few outside cabins. Also, toilets and showers are in communal blocks.
                              Facinating!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X