• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mauritania

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    The Mauritania

    My earliest memory of cruising was way back in the early 1960s on a ship called Mauritania, she was painted pale green.
    So really my parents introduced me to cruising way back..........

    #2
    Originally posted by Smee, Burntwood View Post
    My earliest memory of cruising was way back in the early 1960s on a ship called Mauritania, she was painted pale green.
    So really my parents introduced me to cruising way back..........
    The last ship to be named Mauritania was the Cunarder which did her maiden voyage in 1939. Her last voyage ended on Nov 10 1965.The green hull got me for a bit until I remembered that the caronia and a couple of others had green hulls in the 60s-70s


    jim

    Comment


      #3
      I must ask my mom if she has got any pictures of the ship, it would look strange now, a green ship...........

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Smee, Burntwood View Post
        I must ask my mom if she has got any pictures of the ship, it would look strange now, a green ship...........
        There was a cargo liner company that ran out in the far east 50s-60s called Crusader line and they were green hulls and very smart they looked to.
        About 12/15 years ago a woman took over command of the MSC line and immediately had all the ships painted pink/lilac what a terrible sight to be hold.

        jim

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by jimtheoldsalt, felixstowe View Post
          There was a cargo liner company that ran out in the far east 50s-60s called Crusader line and they were green hulls and very smart they looked to.
          About 12/15 years ago a woman took over command of the MSC line and immediately had all the ships painted pink/lilac what a terrible sight to be hold.

          jim

          The caronia outward from new York,green hull

          Comment


            #6
            Did I see the Mauretainia from the Isle of Wright in the early 60's? I can remember this great green ship in the distance was it her I wonder?CG
            sigpic

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post
              Did I see the Mauretainia from the Isle of Wright in the early 60's? I can remember this great green ship in the distance was it her I wonder?CG
              CG it is possible as I said in a earlier mauritania completed her last voyage on 10/11/65

              jim

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by jimtheoldsalt, felixstowe View Post
                CG it is possible as I said in a earlier mauritania completed her last voyage on 10/11/65

                jim
                Mauritania in all her glory,twin funnels and green hull

                Comment


                  #9
                  It must have been one of her last cruises, I could have only been about 14 years old.
                  But I do remember her very grand interiors and the late night buffet with chefs wearing white gloves to carve the meat..............

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Now looking at that photo of the mauritania I posted earlier I now note that she has nested lifeboats,that brought back memories,way back in 56 to 58 i was 3/0 on a passenger ship that had the same number of nested boats,never had to launch for real but on weekly boat drill they were a B*****d to launch annd recover,as the Mauritania they were down aft and for the third class passenger.

                    jim

                    Comment


                    We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.


                    By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

                    Working...
                    X