• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you bring home from your cruise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did you bring home from your cruise?

In 2003 we were on Aurora for her World Cruise and the Aurora's port call to Phuket coincided with my wife's birthday.

Prior to the Phuket visit we were well travelled in Thailand and my wife had taken a great liking to Thai Spirit Houses.

The Spirit House can be seen at a prominent spot outside every business establishment in the country. It can be seen on a pedestal in Front of every hotel. It dresses the corner garden area of a restaurant, the Front of a bar, disco or put Spirit houses are even seen at outdoor food markets. They are built on the grounds of Buddhist temples. outside caves in the mountains, near Fishing ponds in the valleys, and occasionally in the middle of an otherwise uninhabited forest. Most importantly, however. the Thai Spirit House is built at the yard or entrance of every home.

The purpose of the Spirit House is to provide an appealing shelter for the spirits, or celestial beings, who would otherwise reside in the heavens.
    Phuket just happens to be a tender port so, having made a few prior onboard logistical arrangements, we set off ashore to commence the celebrations.

To my wife's surprise I immediately commandeered an open back tuk tuk style taxi and had a quiet word with the driver. Some 20 minutes later we arrived at a factory where Thai Spirit Houses are manufactured where I invited my wife to choose the spirit house she most liked.

That was the easy bit, let me explain. Spirit houses are generally manufactured from concrete and come in three sections (The Pedestal, The Tray and the actual House). They weigh an awful lot.

I mentioned that Phuket was a tender port. It took four men to carry the concrete pedestal along the flexible pontoon and into the tender, under the rather apoplectic gaze of the tender coxswain.

Cutting a long story short, once onboard the movement was easy. I used one of those sack trolleys that the staff move bedding around the ship with.

And so the Spirit House was assembled in our cabin...

That evening, and indeed the following two evenings, we gave cabin parties to many friends we had met and table companions.

We eventually got the Spirit House home to Southampton and using the same general methods managed to get my wife's rather unique birthday present back to Lee on the Solent where it still, to this day, adorns out balcony...

Any other tales to tell?

• Jocap, Cumbria
    replied
    Originally posted by Balmcake, Leeds (2) View Post
    I had a piece of jewellery made which I designed myself also in Kusadasi the jeweller is called Massis and every Christmas he sends us a card, he liked the locket which I designed so much that he made four with different colour stones in the middle, and when we went back the following year he told me he had sold all 4 of them to Americans that came in from a cruise ship LOL mine has a Aquamarine in the centre the others had Turquoise, Garnet, Topaz,Peridot, if my memory serves me well, thats the beauty of the jewellers in that part of the world, I was fortunate to be able to take pictures at each stage and it took nearly a week but I wasn't in any rush as we were there for 2 weeks.
    That sounds lovely- are you going to share a picture with us?
    The weekend after we returned from our cruise to Venice, I won a plastic gondola in the church fair- I thought I should put it next to my Ventura picture.....
    (I must remember which church it came from, so I don't return it to the same place..... )
    Jo.

Leave a comment:

• Balmcake, Leeds (2)
    replied
    I had a piece of jewellery made which I designed myself also in Kusadasi the jeweller is called Massis and every Christmas he sends us a card, he liked the locket which I designed so much that he made four with different colour stones in the middle, and when we went back the following year he told me he had sold all 4 of them to Americans that came in from a cruise ship LOL mine has a Aquamarine in the centre the others had Turquoise, Garnet, Topaz,Peridot, if my memory serves me well, thats the beauty of the jewellers in that part of the world, I was fortunate to be able to take pictures at each stage and it took nearly a week but I wasn't in any rush as we were there for 2 weeks.
    Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
    Richard, what a lovely story and the "house" looks fabulous!

If we go to Kusadasi I visit one jeweller who over the last three years has been making me a set of jewellery one piece at a time and now have a unique set that I have designed myself. We go straight to the shop and he has it ready in the afternoon, amazing.

My OH jokes he is always so pleased to see us as he sees pound signs but I like to think maybe he does quite like us as well..Carol

Leave a comment:

• History Addict, Alfreton
    replied
    Egypt is the only place we have ever succumbed to buying souvenirs as we prefer to spend our money on experiences rather than on things. We have a wonderful basalt Horus - not the fake basalt they sell to tourists, ours ways loads. A good job Luxor airport aren't too bothered about luggage weight. We also have a huge papyrus we bought in Aswan. I can't recall buying souvenirs anywhere else - on our last 1 week cruise we sent a postcard and bough some Internet time but that was all. We're not tight-fisted but just prefer photos for memories rather than yet another item to dust.

Leave a comment:

• Lizzie, Lymington
    replied
    Not Cairo, but Alexandria! They passed round the laminated pictures of them on the Coach, so we could 'pre-order' & all would be ready when we got to the actual shop!

No I didn't order, nor did I buy anything from the Jewellers/ Souvenir shop/Papyrus place!
    That was with RCI, we were furious as we were hurried along everywhere until we got to the Shops!!

Leave a comment:

• Delboy, Essex
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilba View Post
    Yep, I bought naf all
    Wilba
    Me also.

Leave a comment:

• Wilba
    replied
    Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
    Hi all
    Just to turn it round a bit......
    Has anybody ever been to Cairo and not bought a Cartouche + chain from the shop they always take you to.
    JC
    Yep, I bought naf all

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
    Hi all
    Has anybody ever been to Cairo and not bought a Cartouche + chain from the shop they always take you to.
    JC
    Me...I resented spending time there...but I did use the loo!

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Hi all
    JC

Leave a comment:

• Heather, Holywood Co Down
    replied
    I came back yesterday with a knitted poncho (all the rage this winter again for my daughter made in Montenegro in the mountains. I think I was suitably 'fleeced' to use a pun as it cost fifty euros and I had to pay sixty euros for excess baggage yesterday at the airport. I blamed the weight of the formal clothes when discussing with my husband but I knew secretly it was the poncho and I would have looked a sight sticking it on in thirty degrees heat just to get on the plane!
    It looks quite Oxfamy so Ella will look good at University and can wear in on winter nights - she loved it. I also bought those little slipper socks that are knitted and my husband says Im not allowed to wear them in bed! As if I would!
    I also bought more little Murano Christmas tree baubles to go with my Santa on a gondola from last year.
    Heather

Leave a comment:

• Hampshire Thorn, Fareham
    replied
    Just caught up with this topic, when I saw the title I thought of a few quips but they've all come up - large bill: bronchitis - some good responses.

I see you're showing your Middle Eastern ancestry Richard, dressed as an Arab - it helps explain your abstinence from alcohol.

Leave a comment:

• Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent
    replied
    Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post
    Hi Richard , I see you are suitably attired and on the back of the ship, was it a sailaway ? Hope the grandchild liked the camel.CG
    Sure was a sailaway party, P&O do the best. Not that I can remember much about that one though the Suez transit that followed was amazing.

Leave a comment:

• cornish girl, falmouth
    replied
    Hi Richard , I see you are suitably attired and on the back of the ship, was it a sailaway ? Hope the grandchild liked the camel.CG

Leave a comment:

• Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent
    replied
    Richard of Arabia?

Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post
    Hi Richard, mine is not as glamorous as yours, we had an unexpected wait at Port said, and the stall holders etc appeared form nowhere,after a while we were allowed to visit these stalls I bought two little wooden carved tables with camel's heads, to hold the round tops. I was so pleased with them. CG

Talking of camels Cornish Girl, on the same cruise we stopped at Sharm El Sheikh. Having been there many times before on diving trips it was for us a purely social visit, particularly the 'Happy Three Hours' at the Hilton, Naama Bay beach bar.

Anyway, at some stage the 'Sakara' took over and on a last minute shop one Grandchild won Colin the Camel...

...suitably disguised I may add.

Leave a comment:

• cruisegas, cruisegas
    replied
    Excellent present!

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X