• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Famous old ships.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks as if you have had a blip,nothing came thru.

jim

Comment

I need to read uo how to insert photos!

Comment

Some of you might like to look at this site of old ships, thumbnail size only but reasonably clear:
        SS STEAMSHIPS MS MOTORSHIPS MV MOTOR VESSELS HMS WARSHIPS WW1 WW2
        Bill Byth
        sigpic
        Website

Comment

Brilliant Bill. The photo of HMS St. Vincent 1910 was the very one I was trying to download onto this page! The tugs are to tow it to Falmouth to be turned into fire wood.

Comment

Hi Bill A very good gallery OH was very interested in the ships.CG
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Blyth, Dundee View Post
              Some of you might like to look at this site of old ships, thumbnail size only but reasonably clear:
              SS STEAMSHIPS MS MOTORSHIPS MV MOTOR VESSELS HMS WARSHIPS WW1 WW2
              What a great site, thanks Bill. I remember driving down to Stranraer around 1977 and seeing the old Ark Royal sitting rather sadly in a dismantlers yard.

Comment

Originally posted by the kaptain, winsford View Post
                What a great site, thanks Bill. I remember driving down to Stranraer around 1977 and seeing the old Ark Royal sitting rather sadly in a dismantlers yard.
                yes sad sight used to pass her as we sailed in and out of cairnryan.

jim

Comment

Originally posted by the kaptain, winsford View Post
                  Kapitan,
                  Are you certain it was 1977? I remember seeing the ARK ROYAL (4th) in Mounts Bay dis-embarking its Squadrons to RNAS CULDROSE in Dec 1978 after her final deployment. On 04 December 1978 Ark Royal returned to Devonport to pay off. The third ARK ROYAL was sadly lost in 1941.

See Here: History

Regards,
                  PM
                  CANBERRA (STUFT) May 1982
                  OCEANA 7-21 Aug 2010
                  VENTURA 4-19 Nov 2011
                  VENTURA Feb 2014

Comment

Originally posted by PM, SW View Post
                    Kapitan,
                    Are you certain it was 1977? I remember seeing the ARK ROYAL (4th) in Mounts Bay dis-embarking its Squadrons to RNAS CULDROSE in Dec 1978 after her final deployment. On 04 December 1978 Ark Royal returned to Devonport to pay off. The third ARK ROYAL was sadly lost in 1941.

Regards,
                    PM
                    Dont know how many were broken up there,BUT HMS Centaur was the one broken up in 1972 ,so maybe that was the one I saw.

jim

Comment

Originally posted by jimtheoldsalt, felixstowe View Post
                      Dont know how many were broken up there,BUT HMS Centaur was the one broken up in 1972 ,so maybe that was the one I saw.

jim
                      Jim,
                      See here:
                      ARK ROYAL entered HMNB Devonport for the last time on 4 December 1978 and decommissioned on 14 February 1979 when the White Ensign was lowered for the last time. On 29 March 1980,the MOD announced that she would she sold for scrap ending plans to preserve her. She left Devonport on 22 September 1980 under tow to be scrapped at Cairnryan near Stranraer in Scotland, arriving on the 28th. Breaking up took until 1983. Various parts of the ship remain as souvenirs or memorials for instance, an anchor outside the Fleet Air Arm Museum at RNAS Yeovilton. D

Right place, different time. Most likely earlier carriers as you stated.

Regards
                      PM
                      CANBERRA (STUFT) May 1982
                      OCEANA 7-21 Aug 2010
                      VENTURA 4-19 Nov 2011
                      VENTURA Feb 2014

Comment

Originally posted by PM, SW View Post
                        Kapitan,

Regards,
                        PM
                        All the evidence seems to prove my memory is not as sharp as it once was. The only things I am certain of are that I drove past an aircraft carrier in a dismantlers yard as I found my way to a snowy Stranraer. And that ship was the Ark Royal. So, it must have been the early eighties. I was around Scotland a lot between the late seventies and mid eighties. Anyway, time for a lie down.

Comment

I can remember the Training Ship "Arethusa" at Upnor on the Medway. It was sold in 1974 and towed across the Atlantic where it was restored by the Americans and given back it's original name "Peking". It can be seen in Lower Manhatten New York in the South Street Port .

Comment

Hi Granddaddy, I visited the Peking in South port street, there was another man from our cruise ship who had been London pilot and he told us she used to be the 'Arethusa' before being restored b the Americans , there is also a nice bar just off there called the Paris, where we enjoy a good meal and chin wag with our American friends.CG
                            sigpic

Comment

Hello Cornish Girl, I trust that you enjoyed your visit. Wife and I were in N.Y. last year, but I did not realise that it was there at the time much to my regret, not seeing a part of my boyhood again. John

Comment

John, Maybe another day ,she really is sprigged up and looking glorious memories eh! CG
                                sigpic

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X