• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Titanic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Titanic

As a "new" contributor, I wondered if any existing members are planning to cruise on the Titanic entenary Mini cruise ?

No. I'm worried about Icebergs!;)

Are you talking about the Fred Olsen cruise?
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

We have discussed this at home and really can't make up our minds whether its an opportunity to pay respects to those whp perished or ifs it's just plain morbid, I don't know but we decided not to look any further into the cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Dartcruiser, dartcruiser View Post
        ..really can't make up our minds whether its an opportunity to pay respects to those whp perished or ifs it's just plain morbid...
        Yes it's difficult, but all history is morbid! History Museum are morbid - some have the bones of prehistoric man for us to look at. What about the Egyptian tombs on displayed via global road-shows?

We cannot deny the enduring fascination for the Titanic story. One only has to look at the success of Cameron's movie and previous movies.

The Queen Mary 2 project was inspired by the success of the Titanic movie according to Carnival CEO Micky Arison.

Is this item below 'fun' or 'sick'?

Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 10th February 2011, 10:48 AM.
        See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
          Yes it's difficult, but all history is morbid! History Museum are morbid - some have the bones of prehistoric man for us to look at. What about the Egyptian tombs on displayed via global road-shows?

We cannot deny the enduring fascination for the Titanic story. One only has to look at the success of Cameron's movie and previous movies.

The Queen Mary 2 project was inspired by the success of the Titanic movie according to Carnival CEO Micky Arison.

Is this item below 'fun' or 'sick'?

As you say Malcolm, a lot of historical events are morbid/sad but I think it would be even more sad if we didn't keep the memories going.

However, I do thing that the above 'joy ride' is in very poor taste.
          Jill

Comment

I went to a Titanic Exhibiton and it was wonderfully done. As we entered we were given the name of a passenger, with some demographic information. As you passed along the exhibits you could see some of that person's possessions, or details of the cabin etc,and the reason they were traveling.
            By the end of the exhibit you discovered the fate of your passenger. Mine was a you ng married lady who survived,with her baby. Her husband was left onboard. It was very respectfully done and was very poignant. My passenger and family were originally booked on another ship but were transferred to Titanic due to a strike, can't remember off the top of my head who was striking, but it was ironic..

Comment

I went to a Titanic exhibition where we had the same experience, Cruisefairy and very well done it was, too. I'm very interested in the ship and its short history, like many people, but I can't help find these cruises in poor taste.

Comment

We need to remember that if it wasn't for Titanic then SOLAS - Safety of Life at Sea- wouldn't exist or it may have taken another disaster for it to have been introduced.

Many lessons were learnt from the disaster and I think remembering Titanic 100 years later is right.

There is currently a Titanic exhibition on at the O2 arena.

Home | London Titanic Exhibition

Comment

Originally posted by Mungo, Kent View Post
                  We need to remember that if it wasn't for Titanic then SOLAS - Safety of Life at Sea- wouldn't exist or it may have taken another disaster for it to have been introduced.

Many lessons were learnt from the disaster and I think remembering Titanic 100 years later is right.

There is currently a Titanic exhibition on at the O2 arena.

Home | London Titanic Exhibition

I also think remembering Titanic is right I just can't make my mind up about doing a cruise to the same place to mark the 100th aniversary. Titanic is one of those events that will continue to fascinate people for years to come, I would love to have gone to the exhibition but unfortunately could't but my son did and he was quite moved by it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dartcruiser, dartcruiser View Post
                    I also think remembering Titanic is right I just can't make my mind up about doing a cruise to the same place to mark the 100th aniversary. Titanic is one of those events that will continue to fascinate people for years to come, I would love to have gone to the exhibition but unfortunately could't but my son did and he was quite moved by it.
                    That's the same one I went to, but in the US. I forgot to say they showed a movie first, and yes it was a very sad thing to look at all those items that went down with them..

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X