• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Captain DJ Scott-Masson - Canberra

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Captain DJ Scott-Masson - Canberra

I read to day an obituary for Capt Scott-Masson who has died aged 81. He was Master of Canberra when I sailed on her in 1984, two years after he had taken her on her voyage to the Falkland Islands. Capt Scott-Masson was, by all accounts, a remarkable man and enjoyed a distinguished career. RIP.

When reading the obituary all the happy memories of the trip on Canberra came flooding back. It was my first cruise and might have been my last if I hadn't turned out to be a reasonably good 'sailor'. We had spent a happy time bobbing up and down between the Canary Islands and then to Lisbon on the way home. On leaving Lisbon we encountered winds of force 11/12 and that's how it remained all the way. It was an amazing experience - just like being on a big dipper. We would sit up the front in the Crow's Nest watching the waves crashing over us and I can still remember the knot in the stomach time and again while waiting for the prow to start to rise again after disappearing beneath the water. It seemed like minutes, but was of course only seconds. What an adventure!!

""We would sit up the front in the Crow's Nest watching the waves crashing over us and I can still remember the knot in the stomach time and again while waiting for the prow to start to rise again after disappearing beneath the water. It seemed like minutes, but was of course only seconds. What an adventure!!""

OK I know a different line, Cunard, well still Carnival but don't look for that nice sea ride on Cunard's Queen Victoria, she just digs her bows in with an almighty BANG which reverberates right through the ship

Queen Victoria | Your free online photo album with MyAlbum.com!

You see that flat bow? It don't half hit the next wave with a bang.

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike

Now that would probably have frightened me off for good!

Canberra was special (to me) in many ways. I guess they don't make 'em like that any more. More's the pity.

Jenny

Comment

Jenny,
        Canberra too has a very special place in my heart too. Its very sad to read that Captain Scott Masson has passed away.

I cruised on Canberra from the mid 60's right up to her last but one cruise. She was an irreplaceable lady and I have many happy memories of cruising on her.

The captains were always friendly and walked around the deck chatting to passengers. The ships officers always filled the nightclub looking for a pretty young girl to dance the night away with. So unlike today where you hardly see anyone in uniform.

I used to love the way she creaked and the old doors around the alice springs pool rattled - mind you probably by the time you sailed on her they had replaced them with the automatic sliding doors I think.

Comment

Thanks for replying, Bradbury.

I assume you began your Canberra cruises as a very small child!!;)

You reminded me of my first whicker basket ride in Madeira. I had gone on the cruise as a singleton, but P&O sat me with three other singles at dinner, so I quickly made friends. During the day in Madeira I did a ship's tour and went to the basket factory and ended up at Monte. One of the ship's young radio officers was on the same trip and we shared a basket down the hill. Heaven knows what he thought of me, sqealing and giggling all the way down, but it was enormous fun.

Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst, Salisbury View Post
            Thanks for replying, Bradbury.

I assume you began your Canberra cruises as a very small child!!;)

You reminded me of my first whicker basket ride in Madeira. I had gone on the cruise as a singleton, but P&O sat me with three other singles at dinner, so I quickly made friends. During the day in Madeira I did a ship's tour and went to the basket factory and ended up at Monte. One of the ship's young radio officers was on the same trip and we shared a basket down the hill. Heaven knows what he thought of me, sqealing and giggling all the way down, but it was enormous fun.

Jenny
            Yes - a very young girl.
            Last edited by Bradbury, Coventry; 4th December 2010, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Traditions and P&O

Originally posted by Hirst, Salisbury View Post
              I read to day an obituary for Capt Scott-Masson who has died aged 81. He was Master of Canberra when I sailed on her in 1984, two years after he had taken her on her voyage to the Falkland Islands. Capt Scott-Masson was, by all accounts, a remarkable man and enjoyed a distinguished career. RIP.

When reading the obituary all the happy memories of the trip on Canberra came flooding back. It was my first cruise and might have been my last if I hadn't turned out to be a reasonably good 'sailor'. We had spent a happy time bobbing up and down between the Canary Islands and then to Lisbon on the way home. On leaving Lisbon we encountered winds of force 11/12 and that's how it remained all the way. It was an amazing experience - just like being on a big dipper. We would sit up the front in the Crow's Nest watching the waves crashing over us and I can still remember the knot in the stomach time and again while waiting for the prow to start to rise again after disappearing beneath the water. It seemed like minutes, but was of course only seconds. What an adventure!!
              I also read the obituary of Captain 'DJ' Scott-Masson in the Daily Telegraph this week. (Telegraph only because the Times was late due to the snow).

More interesting to me was the fact that at the time Captain Scott-Masson took the Canberra to the Faulklands both he and four other Senior P&O officers onboard Canberra were in fact Royal Naval Reservists.

I wonder how many cruise ship officers are RN Reservists these days.

Comment

Richard, only you could find it necessary to apologise for reading The Telegraph rather than The Times.:p

Actually, I'm amazed that you would admit to reading a tabloid newspaper.;) Whatever is the world coming to?

Jenny

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                X