• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unwanted upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unwanted upgrade

My fault, apparently I didn't tick the button for no upgrade. I chose the cabin because it was near a lift due to my husbands disability. However the upgrade is a deck below (?), and nowhere near a lift!! Have rung them but the cruise is now full, what are my chances of someone cancelling at this late stage?
    How stupid am I?? Anyone else done this?

TBH I didn't even realise you had to tick for no upgrade, until I found out on here. Such a shame they can't ask you if you want the move or not.
    I'd keep ringing, you might find someone very helpful that can sort it out. Otherwise try asking when on board. Do you do Facebook? They have a P&O page, you might be able to find someone to swap on there.

I hope whatever happens, you manage to enjoy your cruise .................................................. ............Carol

Comment

Does it depend on the cruise line? I always select an upgrade on RCI, in the hope that I may get an outside or balcony.
      2018-
      Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
      NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
      Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
      Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
      Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

I didn't know there were any boxes to tick , we have always been asked at the time of booking and as we always pick our cabin we refuse , What they might consider an upgrade we may not . Would like an upgrade to Grills on Cunard but I don't know if that ever happens ,

Comment

keep an eye on line for cabin availability if any come up you are armed with the numbers you want when you call.

Comment

This, to my mind, is a sneaky piece of work enabling RCI to move a lot more people around than they would obviously be otherwise unable to.

We get this in marketing now and again but it is back-handed and retrograde for the average passenger.

I never tick that I want an upgrade because I put a lot of work into choosing the cabin I want, as you seem to have done, but then to find that they have the ability to move someone who, in effect, has not ticked a negative box, that's totally unacceptable.

I would really make a huge fuss and broadcast this silly "no upgrade" box at least then others will be aware.

So THANKS for the warning and good luck with your quest for the right cabin. ....Neil

Comment

Which ship & date?

Comment

Hello all,

With P&O, Cunard & Princess you can choose whether you want to opt-in for any upgrade or only for the next stateroom type i.e from Outside to Balcony. The other Cruise Lines are just opt in or out. If you are happy with your cabin please advise your consultant or if booking online...tick the box and you will be opted-out.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

[QUOTE=carol, welwyn garden city;847116]TBH I didn't even realise you had to tick for no upgrade, until I found out on here. Such a shame they can't ask you if you want the move or not./QUOTE]

It is very clear when booking online on the P and O website, immediately below Bed Arrangement. Also if booking on the phone the P and O consultant always asks.

Comment

Hi all
                    This is what it says on P&O online booking ......

We can sometimes offer a free cabin upgrade before you travel (although we cannot guarantee this). This can be to any cabin type or location in a cabin grade above yours, including to a higher or lower deck, front, back or midship, and could be shaded, have a metal fronted balcony or obstructed view. If you are upgraded you will not be able to move back to your original cabin.

If you would prefer to stay in the cabin you have chosen, please select 'Do not upgrade' below.

Upgrade if possible........Do not upgrade

The 'Upgrade if possible' is ticked as the default option.
                    I forgot to tick 'No upgrade' last year on Aurora,i had a good balcony mid-ships,,,,they upgraded me to a balcony one deck up,the only difference you had a dressing gown and a pair of binoculars,,,,,,it was the first cabin forward behind the bridge,,,,and worse it was next to the Piano Suite with kids banging away on the piano every time the where in the cabin,,,,it was one of those piano's pre programmed with the backing tune,,,it was playing even when they weren't.

Complain?....Ship full they said.
                    JC
                    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Cruise & Maritime. Had a phone call from them and have secured a cancellation cabin, higher deck, higher grade and near a lift. Charlie at their head office called me as soon as the cacellation came through to them so I had first choice. Excellent service

Comment

That is good news for you. Well done C and M for helping as much as they could...Carol

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                          Hi all
                          This is what it says on P&O online booking ......

We can sometimes offer a free cabin upgrade before you travel (although we cannot guarantee this). This can be to any cabin type or location in a cabin grade above yours, including to a higher or lower deck, front, back or midship, and could be shaded, have a metal fronted balcony or obstructed view. If you are upgraded you will not be able to move back to your original cabin.

If you would prefer to stay in the cabin you have chosen, please select 'Do not upgrade' below.

Upgrade if possible........Do not upgrade

The 'Upgrade if possible' is ticked as the default option.
                          I forgot to tick 'No upgrade' last year on Aurora,i had a good balcony mid-ships,,,,they upgraded me to a balcony one deck up,the only difference you had a dressing gown and a pair of binoculars,,,,,,it was the first cabin forward behind the bridge,,,,and worse it was next to the Piano Suite with kids banging away on the piano every time the where in the cabin,,,,it was one of those piano's pre programmed with the backing tune,,,it was playing even when they weren't.

Complain?....Ship full they said.

JC
                          This is my point:- If you have selected a cabin which suits your needs why oh why take a chance on anything else.

Now I know that you missed the "small print" , call it what you will. This is what large numbers of passengers will do and this is what the cruise line is hoping you will do because it enables them to move passengers to unbooked cabins, often in the worse positions and then say "You've accepted the upgrade so we cannot move you back"

It is a scurrilous practice and the wording is there purely for their benefit and not yours. Bad practice should always be criticised and the company made clear that you regard it as iniquitous and not something they should use.

Smack their blooming wrists and not sail with them again until they stop it. .......Neil

Comment

The last time we sailed on P&O's Oceana we booked the top grade Balcony cabin on a Guaranteed basis, the agent (a High street shop) said take the upgrade they can only move you to a Suite ? Why would I not take that chance.Out last cruise on Britannia we opted out of the Upgrade as we could have got a cabin in a worse position.
                            Always worth considering before you tick a box....Taffy
                            ​Taffy

Comment

As we have preferred cabins, when asked, we say no but that's the beauty of booking with an experienced agent. They ask the question and know the ropes so can explain the pros and cons.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X