• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has a Ships Visit Ever Put You Off.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has a Ships Visit Ever Put You Off.

For years I yearned to go on an Oceania Cruise, but could never come to terms with justifying the cost, preferring to do three cruise a year for the price of one.

So when a visit was on offer from Cruisedot to lunch on the then brand new Oceania Marina I jumped at the opportunity, even though it meant a 450 mile round trip!!

The ship was stunningly beautiful with quality oozing out of nook and cranny. As to be expected the lunch was outstanding and would have put a Gala Dinner to shame on many mass market lines.

We were given a professional tour of the ship which was really Speciality Restaurant after Speciality Restaurant, every one of them with menus to die for, but somehow this became somewhat wearing.

I came away with my enthusiasm flat lining as it came across as the emphasis on the ship was to spend heavily on the fine dining and drinking and little else when it came to entertainment.

Since that day I never been tempted to look again at Oceania. Not unless I come across a weeks cruise with them for a few hundred pound…………Wilba
    Wilba

I agree Wilba. Oceania came across to me as "all fur coat and no knickers" as my mother would have said.

Britannia was just too big and the suites were too small.

Ocean Princess was lovely, but they sold her to Oceania and increased the capacity by over 100.

Judith

Comment

Yes. I have only been on 2 ship visits and put off by both of them. On Royal Princess the cabins were a big disappointment. Even the suites were very small and the balcony cabins the smallest I have come across.

My other visit was to Marco Polo. Again it was the cabins that put me off. They were hardly better than camping. The staff on board seemed jolly and the show they put on was good but I really couldn't see me sailing on the ship. It is a shame as they do have interesting itineraries.

Comment

I have never been on a ships visit but, I have been on Oceania. Wilba, your description is spot on. What a shame - every comfort you could want, but no heart or atmosphere. In no hurry to sail with them again. Beryl

Comment

Well Judith and Wilba I have to disagree.

Firstly I must say that Wilba and I have been invited to look over many ships of many different cruise lines together and the impression one gets from a short visit does not really indicate what the effect of a whole week or even two will give.

So now I have to say that everything about Oceania Cruise Line suits Ida and I down to the ground in every facet and when I am allowed to cruise again, soon I hope, it will probably be the choice we will make. By the way I have cruised with several of the more expensive cruise lines so I can make comparisons as well as many other lines.

It is a cruise line of "small" ships but with so many avenues and areas to explore and enjoy, the evening are great and a filled programme highly enjoyable. We can happily spend a day aboard and find loads to do or not.

Likening a day aboard is similar to a 2 day cruise, too many people looking, examining, and missing what a real cruise is all about. The real proof of the pudding etc..... but if the cost is a worrying factor perhaps, I say, perhaps it could affect your feelings although knowing you I have my doubts that it would.

As for ""all fur coat and no knickers" as your mother would have said" I think that you must have been on a different cruise line to the one I know.

Sorry to go agin you but I just had to on this occasion. Regards ....Neil

Comment

We tried Oceania in 2016 but only because we spotted a cheap deal and thought we would try it.

The ship was nice enough and we had a lovely suite, given that we were upgraded from the one we booked.

The food in the MDR was excellent but I remember that we were not very happy with the slow service. We also told the waiter that he shouldn't clear plates from people who had finished a course whilst others on the table were still eating.

There was very little going on around the ship during the day, apart from a quiz or two and the entertainment in the evening was very low key too.

We felt obligated to try all the speciality restaurants but to be honest, we felt they were surplus to requirements given the great food on offer in the MDR.

Would we sail on Oceania again?.......... probably not. As Wilba said, you can take 3 cruises for the price of one with Oceania.

Back to the opening post asking about ship visits...........

We went on 2 Holland America ships in Dover and Tilbury. We quite liked the smaller ship Prinsendam but found the Rotterdam to be too big, coupled with the dark wood everywhere, which put us off; the lunch was not very good either.

We also did a day visit to the Saga Sapphire in Dover. We were taken round by a guide who had never stepped foot on the ship before. She worked in Head Office but was requisitioned for the day as a guide because they were short staffed.
            She took us round the different grade of cabins but couldn't tell us which was which, or answer any of our questions about the ship.
            To top that, the lunch was dreadful. We decided that we wouldn't be sailing with Saga any time soon.
            Jill

Comment

I have never heard of ships'visits being offered on this side of the Atlantic. However, I did go on one years ago, probably 1964,when my then boyfriend's parents took us with them to visit a P&O ship in Southampton. I can’t remember the name. We toured cabins and my abiding impression was of how small they were. We had lunch, which was good,but the experience didn’t make me want to cruise. It was at least thirty years before I actually cruised, because that was for a celebration of our silver wedding, when we went to Alaska.

Comment

We have only cruised on Oceania once. We had a lot of problems with noise in our Penthouse suite. I did like some things but prefer other lines. I found the rich food a bit too much towards the end if the cruise. The quizzes were held in the theatre which I thought was a strange idea as the team couldn't easily confer with the seating arrangement. We were given a substantial amount of future cruise credit because of the problems with our suite but we never used it and it has expired now. I can't see us sailing with them again although I might be tempted with their South Seas itinerary when I retire.

Comment

I haven't cruised with Oceania so cannot comment but we have cruised with Crystal, which I imagine is in a similar class. We both felt that we were in an episode of Stepford's Wives with everyone bending over backwards to provide for our every need. Having said that, I would be happy to put on my fur coat and leave off my knickers for the opportunity to do it again!

Comment

Originally posted by ilovesunshine, east yorks View Post

My other visit was to Marco Polo. Again it was the cabins that put me off. They were hardly better than camping. The staff on board seemed jolly and the show they put on was good but I really couldn't see me sailing on the ship. It is a shame as they do have interesting itineraries.
                    Having cruised on Marco Polo a few times it is the quirkiness of the cabins that we find one its main attributes. With the exception of the absence of kettles, which they are now addressing and we can do without anyway, we find the cabins quite acceptable and the facilities as good as we have in our own home.

Comment

The only ships visit we got was with 50 other from Cruise dot, and we went on The Solstice ship round the Isle of White.
                      We had already booked on Equinox for the following year so it really did impress us.Nothing at all disappointed us ...Taffy
                      ​Taffy

Comment

If I reverse my original question, "Has a Ships Visit Enticed Me to Book a Cruise?", the answer is no.

I have been on many invites on a whole range of cruiselines over the years, but I have never returned home, picked up the phone and booked a cruise on that particular ship.

Am I alone in this, or just a typical punter?...............Wilba
                        Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
                          The only ships visit we got was with 50 other from Cruise dot, and we went on The Solstice ship round the Isle of White.
                          We had already booked on Equinox for the following year so it really did impress us.Nothing at all disappointed us ...Taffy
                          I wouldn't travel from Wales to SOTON to sail round the Isle of Wight. Opportunity Cost.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                            If I reverse my original question, "Has a Ships Visit Enticed Me to Book a Cruise?", the answer is no.

I have been on many invites on a whole range of cruiselines over the years, but I have never returned home, picked up the phone and booked a cruise on that particular ship.

Am I alone in this, or just a typical punter?...............Wilba

I haven't been on a Ships Visit but have been on cruise ships when visitors have been guided round the ship. What I have witnessed is a constant sales pitch. So much for a quiet day on board

Sorry I don't get it and certainly would not travel hundreds of miles to visit a ship especially when most of the newer ships are giants.

Each to their own.

Annie
                            Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 15th June 2018, 09:29 AM.

Comment

We went on a visit on the then Thomson Spirit, We were booked to go on Celebrity Eclipse the following month and I am so pleased we were NOT on Spirit.

Tatty and tired in all areas and the cabins were quiet depressing. Even the so called penthouse suite did not come close to Eclipses average balcony cabin. Now don't get me wrong, Ive been on 2 Thomson cruises and loved them both, And I must say their 2 new ships look fab, But a few ships could do with updating. Jan.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X