• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We are all alcoholics!!??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are all alcoholics!!??

Sorry can't remember exact details but had an e-mail from .co about future cruises made me laugh one was " free " drinks package worth up to £ 1850 on a 14 day cruise other was MSC £1500 can you please tell me who can drink that much, roughly worked it out at 13 drinks a day at £10 a drink or am I out of date and people can drink that, if your not an alcoholic when you board you certainly will be when you leave. CHEERS,!!!

I could......

So lets say a few glasses of juice in the morning, proper coffee, lets have the good stuff rather than the machine, cocktail, or beer with lunch, few more drinks during the day, pre dinner short, maybe a beer or wine with dinner, 3, 4 or so more in the evening and a nightcap. And thats not even trying
    Think that works out to around 15 drinks. Thats only around 1 drink an hour, not really that much and they don't have to be alcoholic.
    Last edited by andyn, Bucks; 13th June 2018, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
      I could......

So lets say a few glasses of juice in the morning, proper coffee, lets have the good stuff rather than the machine, cocktail, or beer with lunch, few more drinks during the day, pre dinner short, maybe a beer or wine with dinner, 3, 4 or so more in the evening and a nightcap. Think that works out to around 15 drinks.
      And thats not even trying
      Yes but for 14 days constantly, and some of those drinks are not £10 if you say easy do you want the phone number of AA 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

Comment

Easy, but I'll skip the number, I don't have any plans to stop drinking.

If you are up early and bed late as I do when on a cruise, then I probably have around 20/25 drinks a day. I like a drink when on a cruise and unlike many do not kid myself about my alcohol intake, I know it is too high but I don't care, but still not an alcoholic
        To me a cruise holiday includes drinking, other types i.e. a hiking/touring holiday then I won't get anywhere near even 25 a week except for water.
        As you say they are not all £10 but if I had a package then I would be drinking the top brands, real juice, and even non-alcohlic cocktails (I do like the mojitos) during the day rather than lemonade and water. Evening thats a different matter, AI or not, I am on holiday
        Last edited by andyn, Bucks; 13th June 2018, 11:53 PM.

Comment

I am in Andyn's camp on this one, we will take a drinks package when we can, we both like fresh juices, decent coffee, soft drinks during the day, water for on shore/cabin plus a few glasses of wine in the evening and the occasional night cap, hardly alcoholics.

As to cost, we are on MSC Seaview for 8 days in October, the ultimate package is £161.00 each

John

Comment

I could......

So lets say a few glasses of juice in the morning, proper coffee, lets have the good stuff rather than the machine, cocktail, or beer with lunch, few more drinks during the day, pre dinner short, maybe a beer or wine with dinner, 3, 4 or so more in the evening and a nightcap. And thats not even trying
            Think that works out to around 15 drinks. Thats only around 1 drink an hour, not really that much and they don't have to be alcoholic.
            Must spend a major portion of your cruises going to and from the toilets☺

Comment

Two mimosas in the morning, a glass of champagne (or, rarely) piña colada with Trivia, couple of glasses of wine with lunch, afternoon tea, pre dinner Tio Pepe, couple more glasses of wine with dinner, two glasses of champagne during the evening, occasionally replaced by cocktails. Typical sea day for me, no I'm not an alcoholic and I rarely drink at home. Judith

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                Two mimosas in the morning, a glass of champagne (or, rarely) piña colada with Trivia, couple of glasses of wine with lunch, afternoon tea, pre dinner Tio Pepe, couple more glasses of wine with dinner, two glasses of champagne during the evening, occasionally replaced by cocktails. Typical sea day for me, no I'm not an alcoholic and I rarely drink at home. Judith
                If I purchase a DP, my drinking pattern is similar to Judith's excluding lunch - I can skip that meal.

I purchased the Celebrity Premium package on board because it was half price and I passed the break even point by 12 noon.

Premium coffees are my downfall.

BTW I am categorized as a non-smoker and non-drinker by the medical profession.

Annie

Comment

I had a package on Getaway last year, but I'm not sure that I got real value out of it. I had alcoholic drinks for the sake of it. Some mornings I got a Bloody Mary before the early morning quiz, a mimosa to take to the progressive trivia, a glass of wine with lunch, a cocktail before dinner and wine with dinner. Coffee wasn't included in the package, which was a shame because I would have taken advantage of that. I just used the machine in the studio lounge.

Its not worth purchasing a package on RCI as I use the diamond lounge for happy hour. If I want a coffee, then I'll go in during the day to get one.

I rarely buy a package, but obviously take it if it's included. I had a choice of 2 perks for another NCL cruise next year so chose the drinks package and gratuities.

Fred was the best value package, and I would certainly buy one if I sailed with them again.
                  2018-
                  Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                  NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                  Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                  Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                  Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Originally posted by George, Gateshead (3) View Post
                    Sorry can't remember exact details but had an e-mail from .co about future cruises made me laugh one was " free " drinks package worth up to £ 1850 on a 14 day cruise other was MSC £1500 can you please tell me who can drink that much, roughly worked it out at 13 drinks a day at £10 a drink or am I out of date and people can drink that, if your not an alcoholic when you board you certainly will be when you leave. CHEERS,!!!
                    Some will like we do just drink as we normally do, others will look on it as a challenge where they have to drink more that package cost.
                    The cruise line will get worried if you can drink 5 times the value of the package? such is there mark up.
                    Never worked out the cost when on a drinks package, and never will...Taffy
                    ​Taffy

Comment

I could......

Your thesis sounds OK on sea days Andy, but do you manage to keep up this intake when the ship is in port all day?

The cruiselines know damn well the uptake on port days will drop dramatically for most people...............Wilba
                      Wilba

Comment

....no I'm not an alcoholic and I rarely drink at home. Judith
                        Maybe you don't need to Judith, it's still in your blood until the next cruise!

(Just a joke, let's all stay calm!)

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                        Your thesis sounds OK on sea days Andy, but do you manage to keep up this intake when the ship is in port all day?
                        I assume that on the embarkation and disembarkation day, consumption must drop too?
                        See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

I don't know if I could drink that much, I'd be spending to much time in the ladies if I did.

On the occasions I have had a package, I try out lots of different drinks that I wouldn't normally buy in case I didn't like them. That's how I found out, that although Mojitos sound to my taste in reality they weren't! .................................................. ....Carol

Comment

I DO drink at home as well as on holiday so I'm used to alcohol but the holiday consumption you describe, on a daily basis, I'd be in a permanent alcoholic haze, or asleep!

I will have a lagar occasionally at lunch time and that's me done until the evening. I'd need a sleep in the afternoon if I drank more than that.
                            Pre dinner drink, a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and a couple of drinks afterwards in the bar and that's me almost finished off so a ''package'' of drinks or an AI package would not suit at all.

Comment

Hi George
                              I think you are believing the advertising bumf,,,,,£1850 on a 14 night cruise?

Celebrity classic drink package is £40 a day,,,,barely 5 drinks a day on US ship prices....I drink that much a day on non-alcoholic drinks.,,,
                              JC
                              Last edited by jc, liverpool; 14th June 2018, 09:50 AM.
                              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X