• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Nobody Told Me"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Nobody Told Me"

How much do you expect your agent to tell you or do for you,when booking a cruise.

On the Q&A page someone was inquiring about there coach transfer to Southampton,Askin where did they pick up the coach,
    Cannot provide link to question.
    And We had a friend who on his first cruise got free airport parking , only to find it was not booked so he had to pay? Nobody told me I had to do it myself ,was his plea.

So do you expect your agent to do it all for you or just tell you what you need to do?

Our agent lets us book the coach ourselves, but one High street agent did it all for us including printing all details and luggage tags for us....Taffy
    ​Taffy

Some people go through life needing to be spoon fed every step of the way, not just cruising but for every thing they do.

Those of us that manage to avoid such every day catastrophes still apply the old adage, Common Sense, which for most of the time keeps us out of trouble.

You only have to follow some of the banal questions on the Q&A pages to recognise that Common Sense was never in their vocabulary..............Wilba
    Wilba

Comment

I am always amazed that people ask questions about visas and innoculations on various forums and then presumably take the advise given, we take responsibility ourselves to ensure that we have the correct documentation for the countries we are visiting.

We witnessed a couple who were not allowed to board in Manaus as they did not have the correct documentation, very sad but it could have been avoided

John

Comment

We phone Sam. He phones Seabourn. Cruise, flights, hotel and transfers all booked. Seabourn can do it cheaper than we can. The only thing we book is the hotel the night before we fly out and airport parking. This came in handy when a flight was delayed 12 hours and BA wanted to put us up in the Marriott Courtyard in Miami. Seabourn got us suites at the Hilton.

Comment

Friends of ours have just booked Black Watch and were very excited to tell us they had booked a suite with a terraced balcony! OhOh, it sounded warning bells straightaway and shows what information I have garnered over the years.

I burst their bubble when I explained what one was, (google images, they are horrible) I suggested they try and change it so they went back into the high street agent who told them it would be fine and hardly anyone would be walking past. They have paid over £3000.00 each as it is the four ships in Madeira event.

I will show them what I have found the next time I see them but it goes to show you need a decent cruise consultant to advise you and you must do your own homework too...Carol
          Last edited by Guy, Ormskirk; 11th March 2018, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
            Some people go through life needing to be spoon fed every step of the way, not just cruising but for every thing they do.

Those of us that manage to avoid such every day catastrophes still apply the old adage, Common Sense, which for most of the time keeps us out of trouble.

You only have to follow some of the banal questions on the Q&A pages to recognise that Common Sense was never in their vocabulary..............Wilba
            I love your way with words Wilba, and yes I'm one of the spoon fed ones. My agents do everything, they don't seem to mind and always get straight back to me when I ask anything After all, if you don't ask, you don't get!!.........................................Caro l

Comment

whilst fully endorsing the fact that it is our own responsibility to check everything, I do think it useful when the members of the forum answer these basic questions when asked. I know that as a new cruiser several years ago (In those days when I was a forum lurker) the forum was a great place for advice. Now, although I add my examples to the many others, I still learn something new from your stories.

How many have seen examples in the replies that has made us think - do I, Did I, Is that right etc.....

Found this quote

if you ask a question it makes you look stupid for 5 minutes – but if you don't ask – you stay stupid for fifty years, so always ask questions in your life".

So keep the questions coming and the patient, and the oft repeated answers.

Cheers

Tony B

Comment

I am in the process of arranging a trip to Australia later in the year with 2 girl friends. The trip comprises of several flights, a few hotels in different cities and 2 of us are going on the train from Perth to Sydney. On that basis, we agreed that we would get a TA who had been recommended to us to do all the work.

We all went to see him with a rough idea of our itinerary and separate requirements, leaving him to arrange a package for us.

He came back to us by email with all the provisional components in place, asking us for our approval (or not).

As my travel companions are not very computer savvy, I checked out everything on the itinerary.

I noticed that the reviews on one of the hotels (in Sydney) were not good so suggested another that had been personally recommended to us.

I also noticed that he had only arranged one transfer from hotel to airport and we would like to be picked up at all of them.

A phone call to my friends and an email to the agent for a few changes and we should be set.

It is SO important that you check the fine details when arranging a trip, whether it be on land or sea.
                Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
                  How much do you expect your agent to tell you or do for you,when booking a cruise.
                  I expect a TA to tell me EVERYTHING that is important about the booking, at least!

However I don't really trust TA's, so I tend to book my own cruises/Hotels/Flights on-line. I choose my own airport, airline and flight times. I know the details up to a year in advance.

If there is a mistake or mis-information/lack of information, it's all down to me!
                  Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 11th March 2018, 11:52 AM.
                  See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
                    I expect a TA to tell me EVERYTHING that is important about the booking, at least!

However I don't really trust TA's, so I tend to book my own cruises/Hotels/Flights on-line. I course my own airport, airline and flight times. I know the details up to a year in advance.

If there is a mistake or mis-information/lack of information, it's all down to me!
                    I operate in a similar way.

Delighted at last to have located a TA who is a wiz re flight bookings, pleasant and so efficient.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post

Hi Wilba.
                      I agree with you ,do you like me think the questions are getting sillier ,some beggar belief at times.....Taffy
                      ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post

However I don't really trust TA's, so I tend to book my own cruises/Hotels/Flights on-line. I course my own airport, airline and flight times. I know the details up to a year in advance.

Hi Malcom.
                        When we first cruised we were recommended an agent who talked us through it all ,They assumed we knew nothing and told us everything we needed to know for our fly cruise,.I was lucky ,but like you I now expect my agent to tell me everything.

Now again like you a check everything ,just in case....Taffy
                        ​Taffy

Comment

Hi Malcom.
                          When we first cruised we were recommended an agent who talked us through it all ,They assumed we knew nothing and told us everything we needed to know for our fly cruise,.I was lucky ,but like you I now expect my agent to tell me everything.
                          Don't get me wrong, there are some great agents and many work for cruise.dot.

However I have more time to check/re-check/and double check my booking details.
                          See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                            I love your way with words Wilba, and yes I'm one of the spoon fed ones. My agents do everything, they don't seem to mind and always get straight back to me when I ask anything After all, if you don't ask, you don't get!!.........................................Caro l
                            I think you are reading my response incorrectly Carol. Like you I ask everything (common sense), as you say if you don't ask you don't get, which is a whole lot different to asking nothing then complaining 'Nobody told me'...........Wilba
                            Wilba

Comment

Hi Wilba.
                              I agree with you ,do you like me think the questions are getting sillier ,some beggar belief at times.....Taffy
                              I despair at some of the attempts Taffy...........Wilba
                              Wilba

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X