• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Cabin Steward

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Cabin Steward

Hi Every one

I have read today, on the P&O Facebook page about someone who wasn't very pleased with their cabin steward, but didn't want to report any thing in case they lost their job, so they tipped them and said nothing.
    What would you have done?

I've only had one cabin steward who asked me to take off the tips and give him the money in his hand. I was quite shocked by the request, and it did annoy me, but I did leave the tips on and left some money in the cabin, although not as much as I might have done if he had said nothing. His overall work in looking after the room was very good.

Now on a lot of ships they seem to be having to clean more cabins, some up to 19, twice a day, which seems rather excessive. Have you noticed a drop in the cleaning standards at all? .................................................. .Carol

I would have complained about a steward who asked me to remove gratuities and pay them directly to him. What about his hard working colleagues in the MDR/buffets and elsewhere on the ship? Selfish.

Also for me the whole point is that I just pay the service change and be done with it. I don't want to have to be thinking about handing over cash and the social awkwardness that this involves. No thanks!

On the whole I've had no complaint about our attendants. They do their job and I rarely see them. Exactly how it should be.
    Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

I do think standards have dropped. I particularly notice on embarkation day, I am not an overly fussy person regarding general cleanliness but I always make a point of having a quick skim around the cabin and with the sun reflecting in the right direction the amount of hand prints on the sliding wardrobe doors is totally unacceptable and I see it now more and more each cruise. Also dust around the are where the TV is sat.
      I usually go find the cabin attendant and gently point these out, requesting a further clean, rather than going to complain. If its not cleaned then I would complain.
      I try to err on the side of caution because I do think in general they work really hard and long hours.

Worst Cabin attendant was on the QM2 short cruise we recently did. General items missing from the cabin, info, tea spoons, charged us for items from mini bar we didn't have extra charge on credit card after we had statement -but for £4 I am not even bother going to put pen to paper.
      Came into the cabin twice with no knock and no warning, smashed the wardrobe door into my OH's back and the next time came in whilst I was in a state of undress. Now he really did make me cross. Had we been on a longer voyage I would have gone to reception and complained but on a short two days had better things to do with my time.

Comment

I have once been a little unhappy with cleaning standards but the steward was so lovely I didn't do anything about it.

I am not a domestic goddess by any stretch so it wasn't that bad but it wasn't good by cruise ship standards. I wouldn't report him because I would be concerned it might impact on his job and that would have worried me.

I have never been asked for private tips, that is just wrong and not fair to the others, plus that would make you look as though you hadn't tipped at all...Carol

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
          Hi Every one

I have read today, on the P&O Facebook page about someone who wasn't very pleased with their cabin steward, but didn't want to report any thing in case they lost their job, so they tipped them and said nothing.
          What would you have done?

I've only had one cabin steward who asked me to take off the tips and give him the money in his hand. I was quite shocked by the request, and it did annoy me, but I did leave the tips on and left some money in the cabin, although not as much as I might have done if he had said nothing. His overall work in looking after the room was very good.

Now on a lot of ships they seem to be having to clean more cabins, some up to 19, twice a day, which seems rather excessive. Have you noticed a drop in the cleaning standards at all? .................................................. .Carol
          We had one occasion to complain on the Ventura on our arrival at our cabin. One of the first things we do is have a quick check on the shower room. On this occasion the glasses and sink had not been cleaned. The glasses still had toothpaste on them from the previous occupants. I complained to the cabin steward who had an abrupt attitude to the complaint. The question of tipping him went out of the window. As far as the cabin steward requesting to take off the tips my response to him/her would be very simple......since when is it any of your business who, when and how much I tip.

Comment

Perhaps we have been lucky but I have never had cause to complain about any of our cabin stewards, they work really hard with often little thanks from guests. I believe in treating others as you wish to be treated yourself and to be polite and friendly, exchanging a brief good morning, thanks you or good night goes a long way. We have never been asked for a cash tip but always leave one.
            Oriana
            Oceana
            Ventura
            Queen Mary 2
            Queen Victoria
            Queen Elizabeth

Comment

Originally posted by Happy, Wolverhampton View Post
              Perhaps we have been lucky but I have never had cause to complain about any of our cabin stewards, they work really hard with often little thanks from guests. I believe in treating others as you wish to be treated yourself and to be polite and friendly, exchanging a brief good morning, thanks you or good night goes a long way. We have never been asked for a cash tip but always leave one.
              Only had one reason to complain. It was on a transatlantic crossing on the QM2 and I was getting a bit romantic with my wife when the cabin attendant burst in. I said, "don't you knock before you enter"? and she said, "only if you put the do not disturb sign on the door". Well that told me but I think she should still have knocked. It ruined the moment. I tipped our restaurant staff extra but not our cabin attendant.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Deck, Waterlooville View Post
                Only had one reason to complain. It was on a transatlantic crossing on the QM2 and I was getting a bit romantic with my wife when the cabin attendant burst in. I said, "don't you knock before you enter"? and she said, "only if you put the do not disturb sign on the door". Well that told me but I think she should still have knocked. It ruined the moment. I tipped our restaurant staff extra but not our cabin attendant.
                We cruised on the Crown Princess in May and our cabin steward on a number of occasions knocked on our cabin door around 6.00pm to ask how long would we be before we would be out of the cabin for the evening.

Comment

Standards have definitely dropped IMO, probably as there were always two stewards for every cabin. That said I have never had cause to complain to higher ranks, I guess I accept that cheaper cruising leads to lower standards.

I always do a final inspection under the bed before we leave to check for left over dirty washing. It can be quite shocking to see just how much dust and debris has accumulated as a result of lack of cleaning and I am referring to the major players.

Interestingly, three of my more recent cruise have been on budget line Celestyal, and I must say their cabin cleanliness would put some of the big boys to shame...........Wilba
                  Wilba

Comment

We meet our stewardess shortly after our room is ready, when she arrives with champagne and canapés and introduces herself. We have a short chat and tell her the times we are usually out of the room, morning and evening. We agree that if we need anything we will leave a little note and that this is not a criticism of her work. We've not had a problem, but one girl was so chatty it was often after lunch before she finished all her rooms! Since gratuities are included in our AI cruises we don't leave extra tips, but we did buy our girl a gift when we were on board at Christmas.

Comment

We always leave our tips on and usually give a cash tip as well. Only once on Queen Victoria did we removed the tips for various reasons, but still gave a tip to our stewardess.

Comment

We only cruise with Voyages to Antiquity and the standard is always very high.Grats are included in the fare but we always give a extra tip directly to the steward and say thank you. However, on their inaugural cruise, first night, I nipped back to the cabin for a jumper and found the steward lounging on my bed reading the newspaper we had been given on the plane. He leapt up and went about his duties PDQ. We had great service that time, and yes, gave a tip. Voyages to Antiquity have a staff welfare fund if guests wish to give a little extra but do not want to single out individuals when all the crew work so hard.

Comment

We've always been looked after superbly. We wouldn't dream of removing what we term 'the service charge' and we also give to those who have personally looked after us too. Cash, not presents.

Comment

Most of the cabin stewards we've encountered have been really terrific. We always make sure we find out where they are from and take the time to chat to them and wish them a good day. There has only ever been one on Indy who was slightly pushy. That said, we leave the gratuities in place and give a bit extra where we feel it is merited. They certainly have rather a lot of cabins to do twice a day and all this working months at a time a long way from home.

Take care, Helen

Comment

Originally posted by Mason, Altrincham View Post
                              Most of the cabin stewards we've encountered have been really terrific. We always make sure we find out where they are from and take the time to chat to them and wish them a good day. There has only ever been one on Indy who was slightly pushy. That said, we leave the gratuities in place and give a bit extra where we feel it is merited. They certainly have rather a lot of cabins to do twice a day and all this working months at a time a long way from home.

Take care, Helen
                              We were discussing this, and could only remember one slightly pushy one, too- and that also was on Indy. We've had no trouble worth mentioning on any other ship. We gave the Indy woman an extra tip, but not as much as we normally give, on top of the automatic tips.
                              Jo.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X