• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sun, Sea, and Ice days

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sun, Sea, and Ice days

Hi Every one

The Sail away from Sydney Harbour was magical. It was dark, so lights were sparkling and shining every where. Really beautiful, I actually shed a tear. I think the relief of the flight and transfers going so well, and the fact that I was in Australia, and the shear beauty of everything, just over whelmed me!

We just ate in the buffet that night, we were on any time dining, so could really please ourselves. I was also really tired, and had a headache (always get one when I cry, so I try not to!), so early night was the order of the day.

I woke about 7am, and ventured out onto the balcony and just wow. This became my pattern for the sea days, tea and croissants looking at the morning view. (Luckily one deck down, just underneath us, was a 24hr cafe, that did light breakfast and lovely rolls, cakes and cookies, tea and coffee)

We had 2 sea days until we reached Brisbane, so more exploring of the ship, but first, breakfast. Go steady, I said to my self you don't need to go mad. That was until I saw the pancakes, I added strawberries in syrup, whipped cream and chocolate sauce, yummy heaven.

I liked the lay out of the ship, and she was clean and sparkly. A wrap around prom on deck 4 which you had to go up stairs near the front and then back down again, but you could get right round, and also out to the front of the ship. Lot's of titanic poses!

She had a flow rider, a climbing wall, basketball net and mini golf course on deck 13. A very lively and noisy deck, where, the music, although my taste, was the same CD seemingly on repeat. (It was the same thing playing when ever we were up there any way)

The buffet, 2 outdoor swimming pools and large jacuzzis, were on deck 11. With an adults only pool in a half covered area, the pool was uncovered. I found the area quite depressing it was dark, and smelt damp. I didn't like it at all.
    They charged $25 for your pool towel which you got back when you returned your towel, we never had a problem finding a sun bed when we wanted one. The pools were salted, and not very nice when the water went up your nose and in your mouth! This was also another noisy area, no quiet sun bathing here. Either the big screen was playing music video's or they had a live band, or loud games taking place.

Lifts and stairs were either end of the ship, none in the middle. (No one moaned though, like they do on Britannia!)
    There were 3400 people on board, sometimes it felt like it, but other times, I wondered where everyone was, it was so quiet.

There were 2 ice-shows on board, the cast got off at Singapore, apparently it's not on while they are sailing around Asia. Not sure why. These were both amazing, they did 4 showings of each one, and they used your muster station number to let you in. When not in use they opened the rink up for half hour skating sessions. Harder than they made it look. Thought I might get asked to star in the show, but apparently walking slowly around the edge, sometimes holding on, wasn't what they were looking for!

Our first taste of a Formal night RCI style on the first sea day. I'd say 30% were in tux and bow ties, and the rest was any thing from jeans and a polo top, to trousers and shirt. The only criteria in the MDR was no shorts or baseball hats, which to there credit they adhered to, and we did see some people turned away, any thing else seemed to be acceptable. The buffet was casual all the time. However, one likes some standards, so although we ate in the buffet a lot, we always changed for dinner.

Enough of my ramblings in one hit, so as soon as I get some more photos sorted, I'll join them on the end.........Carol

Sounds great . you will love Brisbane , would love to go back to OZ but too old for the long flight now . looking forward to the rest and the pictures .

Comment

Hi Carol
      Your first take of RCI is very similar to how we felt on ours last year, from pool decks to formal night. Sounds like you had a busy and interesting cruise though and I can't wait to read more .....Sue
      BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

It's amazing that with such a low bar for the dress code in the MDR, they still end up turning folk away!
        Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by History Addict, Alfreton View Post
          It's amazing that with such a low bar for the dress code in the MDR, they still end up turning folk away!
          I know, there was a man wearing a hat with the corks hanging on it, on one of the formal nights. Not quite sure how he got in there!
          .................................................. ................................................Ca rol

Comment

I like the Voyager class ships, and have sailed on three of them. I think they're a reasonable size, and the Royal Promenade is a good space for some of the entertainment. The ice shows never fail to amaze me. It's no wonder that the skaters fall occasionally when they're on a moving ship. They just get up and carry on.

I haven't noticed people dressing down in the MDR, there's always been a reasonably high standard the cruises that I've been on. Obviously it's not Cunard standard. I have an idea it's more common with Australians, from comments that I have read elsewhere.
            2018-
            Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
            NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
            Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
            Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
            Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
              Hi Every one

The Sail away from Sydney Harbour was magical. It was dark, so lights were sparkling and shining every where. Really beautiful, I actually shed a tear. I think the relief of the flight and transfers going so well, and the fact that I was in Australia, and the shear beauty of everything, just over whelmed me!
              The sail out of Sydney really is something special and we were lucky to have done it twice in 13 days. We enjoyed our cruises in that region so much we want to go again but I'm not sure when it will actually happen.

You really have to pinch yourself that you are where you are. I know exactly where you are coming from with your emotions.

What a view.........
              Last edited by Wansbrough, North Somerset; 6th May 2017, 09:42 PM.
              www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Comment

Comment

It looks really beautiful Carol, what an experience...Carol

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                  best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                  agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                  X