• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your complaint isn't valid...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your complaint isn't valid...

Hi all

One thing I've noticed over all of our cruises is people complaining about issues that don't really exist.

I'm sure many of you will have seen the classics going round the Internet such as we booked self catering with fully equipped kitchen and there was no egg slicer, this ruined our holiday etc

Whilst onboard cruise ships, we have heard people complaining about drinks cans not being opened for them or teabags not being put in a pot of hot water. Is this a genuine complaint or people whinging for the sake of it?

We even heard one person say to an officer he hadn't been served after waiting for four hours! With how many crew there were in the area he was sat I find this incredibly hard to believe; on MSC, and in our experience, it's difficult to sit down for 15 minutes without being asked!

I tend not to take much notice of whingers. There'll always be one. Plenty of legitimate complaints too, though.

RE: the tea. I am quite particular about the brew time on a tea - typically 3 minutes for the tea I drink most often. When a pot arrives with the tea already brewing, I have no way of knowing how long it's been brewing for unless a small tea timer is provided!

I agree that based on my experience of MSC (not just in YC areas) the drinks service in a very busy bar was prompt and frequent. It was one of the things that impressed me most, and was in stark contrast to the most recent Celebrity cruise where drinks service was very slow.
    Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

I agree that based on my experience of MSC (not just in YC areas) the drinks service in a very busy bar was prompt and frequent. It was one of the things that impressed me most, and was in stark contrast to the most recent Celebrity cruise where drinks service was very slow.[/QUOTE]

Interesting observation Duncan, for the first time for about 5 years we dont have any Celebrity cruises in mind, but we do have two booked on MSC, service in Cellar Masters last November was very poor and did not improve when I mentioned it to the F&B director who we met one morning (by coincidence) over coffee in Al Bacio.

We are glass half full people and would have to encounter something quite serious to compalin formally, as to the whingers and they exist everywhere, we move along and try to avoid them, you can always find people to mix with who are having a good time.

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post
        Interesting observation Duncan, for the first time for about 5 years we dont have any Celebrity cruises in mind, but we do have two booked on MSC, service in Cellar Masters last November was very poor and did not improve when I mentioned it to the F&B director who we met one morning (by coincidence) over coffee in Al Bacio.

We are glass half full people and would have to encounter something quite serious to compalin formally, as to the whingers and they exist everywhere, we move along and try to avoid them, you can always find people to mix with who are having a good time.
        It was a real shame for me because I was also sailing with Lesley and Duncan - their first time on Celebrity. The both enjoyed it regardless, but I was getting increasingly frustrated at the speed of service. One day, after about 30 minutes of waiting, I eventually went to the bar in the Sky lounge, waited patiently, then had gobby folk arrive and get served before me. Bar staff should be keeping an eye on who came when, but it was complete chaos.

I still like Celebrity, but that one experience has put me off a little. MSC was a breath of fresh air in that department, so I don't think you'll be disappointed.
        Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

A few years ago I recall reading on another well known cruise forum of a woman, (American), who cancelled the gratuities because her granddaughter only received two towels animal for the whole of the cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Wilba

Comment

There are always the moaners on any cruise, but everyone should have a hobby!

On our last cruise a really objectionable guy moaned about everything. He particularly didn't like the food, the service to the entertainment! He was American, but lived in Thailand where he said the food was much better and his 'servants' were better than the crew. He woke at 4.30 and his maid immediately brought his coffee. I said slave labour was not legal in UK.

Another regular cruiser, who we actively avoid, grumbles that the restaurant is not open 24 hours. The hours are not convenient for him. We suggested room service, but he didn't want his suite smelling of food. We suggested getting room service delivered to a bar or on deck, but that didn't suit either. This horrible man spent the whole of lunch time on his mobile phone. How rude!

Comment

Wow! One thing I did miss on the Ovation maiden was a towel animal - there wasn't a single one.

I have to agree about the tea though. The pot is brought with water which has gone off of the boil, so it's difficult to get a decent cup of tea if you have to add the tea bag after.

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
              A few years ago I recall reading on another well known cruise forum of a woman, (American), who cancelled the gratuities because her granddaughter only received two towels animal for the whole of the cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              2018-
              Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
              NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
              Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
              Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
              Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

On one cruise when my OH smoked, we would go to the smoking area and after a couple of days everyone got chatting. One man started moaning about how the cruise did not meet his requirements on so many levels. My OH suggested he give it a chance, we were on board for two weeks and this was only a couple of days into the holiday. Each day he would sit and moan and gradually everyone started to avoid sitting near him. Eventually only one person was left beside him and she never spoke. One day near the end of the cruise we noticed the woman sitting on her own and sat beside her to see if she would join in the conversation. An American man asked her why she sat beside that old guy who never stopped moaning, to which she replied 'I have to, I'm married to the old b**gar!' Haven't laughed so much in ages!

Comment

Towel animals is a whinge I've heard today. Personally I'd prefer my towels not to be played with?

Comment

Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post
                    Towel animals is a whinge I've heard today. Personally I'd prefer my towels not to be played with?
                    I'm with you on that. I don't really care about towel animals particaulrly, but I think this highlights the reasons people will always moan. If towel animals make your holiday special, you'll be upset if it doesn't happen. If you find people messing about with your towels (and in some cases personal possessions for decoration) then you'll be upset if it does happen. You can't please everyone!
                    Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

On QM2 we shared a table at breakfast with a lady who requested decaf tea, the tea arrived and was rejected because it tasted soapy, a second pot was rejected because it was too cold, a third pot was provided. Was she happy - NO, it wasn't soapy or cold but it was far too hot! There is no pleasing some people.
                      Oriana
                      Oceana
                      Ventura
                      Queen Mary 2
                      Queen Victoria
                      Queen Elizabeth

Comment

I was taking afternoon tea on Britannia last year and I asked the server for fresh milk (as they were serving the sterilized stuff, which doesn't go well with tea IMHO) "I'll go get the cow at once" came the reply, I wasn't happy but the rest of the group were in stitches so I had to let it go.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                        X