• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Future Cruise Certificates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future Cruise Certificates

Hi All

Has anyone ever purchased a FCC and found it difficult to use??

Is there any value in buying them??

Annie

Depends on the company not had a problem using them yet but there are reports of excluded cruise and some TA not happy to do the work.

Princess used to do them for free to UK passengers but now charge(2 years, fully refundable if not used) extra OBC but only usable in UK if bought in £

NCL are good, they cost $125(or equivalent £/€) and you get a $250 credit as full deposit(on most cabins) on your next cruise booking.
    Fully changeable to use in any currency and transferable to any person( 4 years. not refundable if you don't use)
    edit:
    Forgot to add that current NCL US bookings you can use 2 credits so can in effect get a $250 discount on top of any other promotions(for the cost of having some money tied up between purchase and booking).

edit 2:
    Just seen there are now NCL Haven/suites future cruise that act as full reduced deposits on those cabins.

Never done RCI but their future cruise booking ones look good extra OBC and you can make changes to the cruise if you change your mind.
    Last edited by Topdeck, London; 24th May 2016, 08:48 AM.

Comment

We always put down a future cruise deposit on Seabourn. We know we'll be back and it saves a bit of money. We've never had a problem when booking the cruise.

Comment

No problem using them with either Celebrity or Seabourn and so we always buy one on the cruise so that it can be used on the next one but we have two with Azamara that have been difficult to use, never again, one of the reasons why that cruise line has gone down our preferred list.

Comment

Wont buy them for several reasons, the main one being that we never know if we are going to book via a US Travel agent or via the UK. When enquiring once on board if it was possible to do either or,t he guy looked at me horrified that I was from the Uk but using a US booking agent almost saying it wasnt allowed. Now I just dont go there.

Also the T&C's small print can have some clauses such as not combinable with other promotions or certain fares. Just not worth taking the risk as I am a booker that never books in the conventional way, and always am on the lookout for special deals.

Comment

We always have a couple on the go for the direct opposite reasons Bradbury gave.

We know we'll book a cruise with the same cruise line within the year and we always book with the same agent. It's a no brainer for us. So saying I agree re t&cs. Always pays to read them first.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
              Wont buy them for several reasons, the main one being that we never know if we are going to book via a US Travel agent or via the UK. When enquiring once on board if it was possible to do either or,t he guy looked at me horrified that I was from the Uk but using a US booking agent almost saying it wasnt allowed. Now I just dont go there.

Also the T&C's small print can have some clauses such as not combinable with other promotions or certain fares. Just not worth taking the risk as I am a booker that never books in the conventional way, and always am on the lookout for special deals.
              I have had the same experience. We have to choose whether to use $CAD or $US when we buy one, and we generally book in whichever currency gives us the best price at the time of booking. We have also found that they are often not combinable with senior, residential or last minute deals. We had one from Celebrity for several years before we were able to use it, but when we did we got good on board credit.

If we are looking at a particular cruise, I price it at home, then look at the benefit of booking it on board. Sometimes it is advantageous and sometimes not. We have booked on board and transferred it to an agent when we returned home. This has given us a double benefit. I don't know if this is an option in UK. If the cruise we are on is booked through an agent, the on board booking automatically goes to that agent unless you opt in writing to keep it with the cruise line, then you can assign it to any agent within 30 (or 60, I can't remember which) days.

My experience has been with Princess and Celebrity and we do not buy future cruise certificates with either now.

Sheila

Comment

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post
                I have had the same experience. We have to choose whether to use $CAD or $US when we buy one, and we generally book in whichever currency gives us the best price at the time of booking. We have also found that they are often not combinable with senior, residential or last minute deals. We had one from Celebrity for several years before we were able to use it, but when we did we got good on board credit.

If we are looking at a particular cruise, I price it at home, then look at the benefit of booking it on board. Sometimes it is advantageous and sometimes not. We have booked on board and transferred it to an agent when we returned home. This has given us a double benefit. I don't know if this is an option in UK. If the cruise we are on is booked through an agent, the on board booking automatically goes to that agent unless you opt in writing to keep it with the cruise line, then you can assign it to any agent within 30 (or 60, I can't remember which) days.

My experience has been with Princess and Celebrity and we do not buy future cruise certificates with either now.

Sheila
                Hi

I too had a Celebrity FCC gathering dust. I tried to use it on a couple of cruises and it was not honoured.

However I have eventually managed to use it and the OBC is handy but the experience will deter me from buying another.

Annie

Comment

None of these issues with NCL and you can give them away or sell them.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                    None of these issues with NCL and you can give them away or sell them.
                    There is a time limit on them ?

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                      There is a time limit on them ?

Annie
                      As previous post 4 years but easy to find people to take them.
                      We trade if people can use them and get new ones to keep them fresh.

Comment

As previous post 4 years but easy to find people to take them.
                        We trade if people can use them and get new ones to keep them fresh.
                        Far too much hassle

Annie

Comment

I bought one on Adventure of the Seas. I didn't assign it to an agent, which was a mistake.

I entered the details when I booked a cruise online, but didn't realise that I had to phone to apply it to a booking. I was told that I had to phone the call centre to assign it to an agent.

I wouldn't do it again - too much hassle.
                          2018-
                          Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                          NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                          Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                          Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                          Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

When you take trips fairly regularly rare they get close to running out
                            For the money saving it is fine and transfers are easy.

A few mins to help out a friend for $125-$500 saved, same if we throw in an extra trip and have run out we can get them and save money.

never book a NCL cruise without one.

If you use a TA they can do it all for you if they are any good might need an email to confirm the transfers.

Why on earth did you buy a future cruise on any cruise when you keep telling us cruise lines never have the right itineraries for you?

Comment

When you take trips fairly regularly rare they get close to running out
                              For the money saving it is fine and transfers are easy.

A few mins to help out a friend for $125-$500 saved, same if we throw in an extra trip and have run out we can get them and save money.

never book a NCL cruise without one.

If you use a TA they can do it all for you if they are any good might need an email to confirm the transfers.

..................................................
                              Why on earth did you buy a future cruise on any cruise when you keep telling us cruise lines never have the right itineraries for you?
                              My FCC will be nearly 6 years old when I finally use it.

I had a cruise in mind but was not allowed to use the FCC on that cruise and stuck it in a drawer.

I then switched cruise lines.

However with Celebrity's no expiration date, I finally benefit.

I don't intend to buy any further FCC for any cruise lines as I do not consider myself loyal to any line and purchase cruises in USD, Euros or GBP dependent upon rates/promos.

However Yogini's experience is interesting as she is a regular RCI cruiser.

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X