• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruise friends

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise friends

We all have friends we have met on board and have kept in touch with at home, even if it is only a Christmas card. Many of us return to the same company or even the same ship many times and consider certain crew members to be friends. I wonder how many passengers keep in contact with crew members between cruises? We had lunch with our CD friend last year, and even though she has moved on, she came to us for dinner a few weeks ago. In August we drove up to Rosyth to meet friends who are cruise ship entertainers and had an overnight stop. We have also met a restaurant manager, a Maitre 'd and a purser for lunch and I posted a birthday and Christmas gift to Belgrade for the one year old daughter of a bartender. Is it just me?

What is so special about cruise ships, that people find it necessary to befriend all the staff and invite them out?

Has anyone ever invited the hotel staff from a holiday to visit for a few days?

How often has anyone gone to their local pub and invited the barman/woman to come round for a meal?

How often has anyone invited the staff from the local restaurant to come round for a meal?

How about the taxi driver, or the bus driver, or train driver?

No, it doesn't happen.

So what is so special about the staff on ships?

I'm baffled.

Stewart

Comment

I have 'befriended' people on board in that I will chat, share a table and greet them off ship too, but I never feel the need to keep in touch. When the cruise is over I wish them safe home and say goodbye. It is lovely meeting people who are willing to have a laugh and share stories particularly if they are from further afield and it really adds to the enjoyment of the holiday, as do interactions with staff on board, but no more than that for me.

Comment

My best friend is someone I met on holiday nearly 30 years ago as a child visiting a Welsh holiday trekking centre which she runs. I gained my husband from the same holiday village as he also went there on holiday with his parents. We now live in the same village where we both enjoyed so many happy holiday memories.
        However my friend is the first to admit that whilst everyone thinks she adores them as much as they adore her, she doesn't think about them or miss them half as much as they think she would between their visits. She's too busy giving the "holiday experience" to the current guests.
        So whilst I see where Cooke is coming from I also slightly agree (for the first time ever) with a COUPLE of Bigmacs comments.

On our last explorer cruise we befriended a guy in cafe prom. Lovely lovely bloke from the Philippines, my friend boarded two weeks later and she rang me before they left Southampton and told me someone wanted to speak to me. She handed the phone over and a lovely voice said "hello miss m....." We had a funny little chat but I wonder if he had a clue whom he was speaking to lol.

We've also gotten friendly with Mike Cooke, head of Security for R.C.I as he's been on our last 3 cruises and remembers us each time as the Welsh family because his son in law is Welsh. On our last cruise we must have chatted to him at various ports for a total of 5 hours or more. But I wouldn't dream of saying hey Mike what's your email lets keep in touch.

Back to Aviv in cafe prom loads of teens were getting his F.B details and he was happily giving it out.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMac, Glasgow View Post
          What is so special about cruise ships, that people find it necessary to befriend all the staff and invite them out?

Has anyone ever invited the hotel staff from a holiday to visit for a few days? no, but we don't generally stay in the same hotel for two weeks twice a year

How often has anyone gone to their local pub and invited the barman/woman to come round for a meal? don't frequent pubs

How often has anyone invited the staff from the local restaurant to come round for a meal? yes, friends who own a restaurant came for dinner over Christmas

How about the taxi driver, or the bus driver, or train driver? that's just daft!

No, it doesn't happen.

So what is so special about the staff on ships? if you have to ask, you've been on the wrong ships

I'm baffled.

Stewart
          I did say that we return to the same ship and see the same staff many times. But, perhaps I just like people. Judith

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
            I did say that we return to the same ship and see the same staff many times. But, perhaps I just like people. Judith
            Hi Judith

I do understand where you are coming from. However you cruise on a regular basis on very small ships.

For those of us who sail on mass market lines, I doubt very much if any crew member remembers us unless we are outrageous tippers

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
              We've been on about 15 or 16 trips with Cunard. Ten of them have been on QV with an average of 14 days per voyage.

Many of the staff (including the Commodore) know us by name, and come and greet us. We've even had staff from other restaurants come to say hello. One butler on finding out that we were returning, specifically requested that she should be allocated to our room. She was, and had everything just the way we like it.

Over the years we've made many friends amongst the passengers and meet up with four different couples on a regular basis.

Therefore, I do not need a lecture on making friends. I just don't find it necessary to befriend the hired help, as you say "that's just daft".

I don't know what you find wrong with Cunard ships.

If you love the ships and the staff that much, ever thought about getting a job on one?

Comment

I haven't befriended any crew member, I don't think I would have enough interaction with anyone. I did come across some crew members more than once last year, but that was only because I sailed on Brilliance twice. Of course, they didn't remember at all, not that I expected them to.

I have made friends with other passengers. I have a small group of friends met on Adventure otS, and we all met up on Explorer last year. I also have another group of friends met on NCL, and we are planning a get-together back on Epic in 2017. It is probably because we are all solo travellers, so tend to spend more time together on board.
                2018-
                Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

I have just been thinkng of an occasion where a staff member on board IOS remembered us after two years. This man had been our room attendant and was a real gem. He was the best and we were always wondering how our room seemed to be magically cleaned when we returnd from breakfast yet we never saw him in the corridor. Two years later we boarded IOS again and were walking along the corridor nowhere near where our room was (so he would not have seen the name) when we heard a very happy 'Hello Mr and Mrs ...' There he was. He was smiling and happy as he always was. Perhaps it was the very generous tip he remembered but I doubt it! He was just a lovely guy.

Comment

When we took our teenage children on Oceana, 2 of the crew became quite friendly with our sons, who were basketball players.
                    Our youngest played for the under 16's England BB team.
                    They swapped address's and my sons sent on some programmes and BB stuff.
                    We used to get a postcard now and again from them.
                    But eventually it all stopped.

As for staff in hotels...I was staying in a hotel in Windsor a lot when my OH first started working in Slough.
                    I spent lots of time in the hotel lounge/reception area, when recovering from an illness and became quite friendly with a couple of the staff there, and one of them came up north to stay with us.

Friends can become friends regardless of their occupation...crew members...bar staff..they are just people the same as you and me.

Comment

We have meet and have made friends with people we have cruised with ,will be meeting one couple we met in the next few days.
                      As for meeting crew outside the cruise ship no never ,love to see them when we cruise and see them ashore ,some remember us and seem pleased to see us ,which is nice....Taffy
                      ​Taffy

Comment

It's no secret QV is our favourite ship.

We spend many weeks a year onboard and whilst not up to the exalted level of Big Mac, we are known by name by many members of staff, including important members who know how I like my 'tea' and my food preference. We are made very welcome as soon as we step onboard and are usually greeted by someone we know but I don't think this marks us out as 'special' [other than being 'frequent flyers'], rather the exceptional hospitality training Cunard staff have gives them the ability to greet repeat passengers as valued friends/part of the family. I'm sure many Cunard repeat passengers feel the same as I but that's not 'friendship'. It's down to great training.

We link up with past friends, if sharing the same cruise and often link bookings in order to dine together. We have met one or two crew members at private drinks 'do's' and are very happy to see them when we board.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMac, Glasgow View Post
                          We've been on about 15 or 16 trips with Cunard. Ten of them have been on QV with an average of 14 days per voyage.

Many of the staff (including the Commodore) know us by name, and come and greet us. We've even had staff from other restaurants come to say hello. One butler on finding out that we were returning, specifically requested that she should be allocated to our room. She was, and had everything just the way we like it.

Over the years we've made many friends amongst the passengers and meet up with four different couples on a regular basis.

Therefore, I do not need a lecture on making friends. I just don't find it necessary to befriend the hired help, as you say "that's just daft".

I don't know what you find wrong with Cunard ships.

If you love the ships and the staff that much, ever thought about getting a job on one?
                          I don't want or need a job thank you. I have done my bit in the past

I have nothing at all against Cunard. What made you think I had? I do not recall mentioning them.

Your phrase "hired help" says a lot about your attitude to others.

We shall just have to agree to differ.

Comment

I am not someone who makes new friends easily, most of my friends have been in my life many years, but I am social and friendly. Having said that, I have never viewed the staff as hired help and know a couple of people on the QM2 who I would have connected with wherever I had met them if there was an opportunity of getting to know them. If they came to the UK, I would happily be their tour guide and having kept in touch a while, I call them friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Val, Wolverhampton View Post
                              I am not someone who makes new friends easily, most of my friends have been in my life many years, but I am social and friendly. Having said that, I have never viewed the staff as hired help and know a couple of people on the QM2 who I would have connected with wherever I had met them if there was an opportunity of getting to know them. If they came to the UK, I would happily be their tour guide and having kept in touch a while, I call them friends.
                              Thanks for that Val. I was beginning to think it was just me!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X