• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buffet Etiquette

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buffet Etiquette

I was curious as to Duncan's recent vlog comment regarding Buffet Etiquette.

I hate the fact that etiquette dictates that you should get food before finding a table, but that nobody actually does this, so I find myself wanting to grab a table first too!
    Its not something I have ever been made aware of and in fact have never seen any guide lines to endorse it, am I alone in my ignorance?

We always find a table first as don't want to be wandering around with a plate of hot food which is going cold while you locate enough seats for your party to sit.
    www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Not sure about any etiquette but usually work out a quiet area on the first morning and stick to that throughout a cruise, nearly always get a table without any problem. Was on FO last week and their system is so much better, even in the buffet you are still shown to a table, and during breakfast and lunch the buffet was also set up in the MDR's, so you had a choice as to whether to help yourself or order off the menu, or both.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
      Not sure about any etiquette but usually work out a quiet area on the first morning and stick to that throughout a cruise, nearly always get a table without any problem. Was on FO last week and their system is so much better, even in the buffet you are still shown to a table, and during breakfast and lunch the buffet was also set up in the MDR's, so you had a choice as to whether to help yourself or order off the menu, or both.
      Yes, much better system. We are used to being shown to a table, at breakfast, asked what we'd like to drink and then we go for the food. Only use the buffet at breakfast.

Comment

Hi Andyn

Sounds good. However would that system work on vessels with 2000 pax or more??

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
          Hi Andyn

Sounds good. However would that system work on vessels with 2000 pax or more??

Annie
          It did on Anthem when we were on it..and your waiter made you wash your hands on the way to your seat.
          Must have changed since we were on.
          Regards
          Garfield

Comment

Possibly harder to control given the numbers and various entrances, on FO the number of waiters in the buffet was greater than I have ever seen on a larger ships buffet so maybe they don't want to or don't have enough crew to run a similar system. What I have noticed on the larger ships is that they don't seem to advertise the fact very prominently that all other restaurants can be used for breakfast and lunch. It could be that they'd rather passengers used the buffet. I have met many on a cruise that didn't realize they could use any restaurant.

Comment

Possibly harder to control given the numbers and various entrances, on FO the number of waiters in the buffet was greater than I have ever seen on a larger ships buffet so maybe they don't want to or don't have enough crew to run a similar system. What I have noticed on the larger ships is that they don't seem to advertise the fact very prominently that all other restaurants can be used for breakfast and lunch. It could be that they'd rather passengers used the buffet. I have met many on a cruise that didn't realize they could use any restaurant.
              I confess to 'casing' the eateries early on in the cruise and sussing out the best places for me

Your last observation suggests to me that some passengers don't read the Daily sheet which lists the eateries and then ours of operation? OK geek that I am, I do.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                It did on Anthem when we were on it..and your waiter made you wash your hands on the way to your seat.
                Must have changed since we were on.
                Regards
                Garfield
                Thanks Garfield - just shows nothing stands still. BTW when did you cruise the Anthem?

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                  Thanks Garfield - just shows nothing stands still. BTW when did you cruise the Anthem?

Annie
                  Hi Annie
                  April this year..and very good it was as well.
                  Regards
                  Garfield

Comment

I honestly dont know what all the fuss is about. I have never 'saved' a table prior to eating. I really cannot understand why some people find it difficult to find a seat in the buffet. We always eat outside for breakfast and lunch which is an even smaller seating area and have rarely had a problem finding a table. If we do struggle we grab the first available table back inside. We always tell each other roughly where we will be and somehow always find each other as we go our separate ways around the buffet stations.

Personally I think it is wrong to save a table - after all it might be 15 minutes before you return with your food, by which time someone else could have sat down to start eating. Think of the snowball effect 'saving empty tables has.

I also dont see the need to try and take every conceivable course to the table at once either.

Comment

Never heard of any etiquette regarding self service or Buffet .
                      Thats what the cruise line may wish you to do ,but that's not how it works.
                      Not much point in getting your meal then trying to find somewhere to sit and eat it??
                      If when we use self service one gets a table and one goes for the food ,but it depends on just how full the venue is ...Taffy
                      ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
                        Never heard of any etiquette regarding self service or Buffet .
                        Thats what the cruise line may wish you to do ,but that's not how it works.
                        Not much point in getting your meal then trying to find somewhere to sit and eat it??
                        If when we use self service one gets a table and one goes for the food ,but it depends on just how full the venue is ...Taffy
                        Hi Taffy

I'm with you, no point in letting your food get cold, especially if the buffet is busy, whilst you are walking around trying to find a table.

On our last coach holiday, in the Hotel MDR at Lake Como, we were always shown to our table and asked what drinks we like, then directed to the buffet area to obtain our food, don't see why it should be frowned upon on a cruise. In fact this is what often happened in the buffet on RCI IOS. Would only eat outside if the climate allowed.

On P&O Oceana I remember when instead of a tray, you were issued with a large round plastic plate to act as a tray. This was not much larger than the main course plate, certainly was not large enough to carry more than one course.
                        Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 7th September 2015, 04:10 PM.
                        Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

As I'm generally on my own, I don't have too much of a problem as I just join an existing table. I don't know about etiquette issues, but if the buffet was busy and there were two or more of us, we'd find a table first then food. If quiet, food first then table.

Comment

Originally posted by Wansbrough, North Somerset View Post
                            I was curious as to Duncan's recent vlog comment regarding Buffet Etiquette.

Its not something I have ever been made aware of and in fact have never seen any guide lines to endorse it, am I alone in my ignorance?

We always find a table first as don't want to be wandering around with a plate of hot food which is going cold while you locate enough seats for your party to sit.
                            We always find a table first for the same reason Wansbrough.

Once we find 2 seats together, we take it in turns to get and get our meal. Like you, I would not be amused to be walking around with a hot meal that was rapidly getting cold.
                            Jill

Comment

People are there own worst enemy complaining about finding a seat. They lie in their beds 'till 8- 8.30am, join a thousand others who have done likewise, or if they did make it out of bed before then, probably spent the time making tea with camping kettles and the like.

Get your butt up to buffet at 6.30am and you can sit wherever you like.

Same at lunchtime, if the place opens at midday, be there first in queue.

I'm now going to find a good place to run and hide........Wilba
                              Wilba

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X