• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruise Gossip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise Gossip

A friend has been on a TA, on QM2, prior to a long stay with relatives in the USA. On the last day, she ventured into the launderette, and heard the gossip that there'd been a fight in there...once...
    I first heard this on Aurora- 2007, I believe- and on several ships since.
    Whenever I go into a launderette on board, they're fairly quiet places, with a bit of chat, but hardly anything like a bar atmosphere.
    I'm just surprised that she didn't tell me about the dress which was pinched and turned up being worn on the next formal night, because I've heard about that on several ships now....
    Jo.

I've not heard of an actual fight, but an American acquaintance had her laundry removed from a dryer whilst still wet and just left in a heap. She was threatening GBH to the culprit! Difficult to prove ownership of a garment, unless it was a one off, I would have thought. I appreciate our 'perk' of a bag of laundry per week, much better than DIY.

Comment

Originally posted by Jocap, Cumbria View Post
      .................................................. .................................................. .................................................
      I'm just surprised that she didn't tell me about the dress which was pinched and turned up being worn on the next formal night, because I've heard about that on several ships now....
      The good old laundrette gossip. The stolen dress has certainly been doing the rounds for many a year. Just anther one of those cruising myths. After all, it's pretty unlikely that someone would be washing a formal dress in the laundrette. Good fun though.

Comment

Last week I was ironing two dress shirts and chatting to a care worker who had to do quite a bit of laundry for her client. In came a fairly elderly couple, who put washing in, then the woman made her husband stand in front of the machine to watch it. She disappeared, then returned with an armful of undies she must have hand washed, and left him, standing, watching dryer and washer... No sitting there with a book...
        They must have heard the rumours!
        Jo.

Comment

Originally posted by Jocap, Cumbria View Post
          Last week I was ironing two dress shirts and chatting to a care worker who had to do quite a bit of laundry for her client. In came a fairly elderly couple, who put washing in, then the woman made her husband stand in front of the machine to watch it. She disappeared, then returned with an armful of undies she must have hand washed, and left him, standing, watching dryer and washer... No sitting there with a book...
          They must have heard the rumours!
          Where's this 'Like Button' when you need it.

Comment

It always amazes me how some people seem to know all the gossip and others (like me) just get told it.

On Britannia (we were on freedom dining) towards the end of the cruise we sat with a couple and their daughter, they told us of all sorts of shenanigans that had gone on, on board, thefts, arrests, fights, arguments. And there was me thinking everything was most civillised!
            .................................................. .............................................Carol

Comment

Ships are the perfect environment for Chinese whispers....the laundry room stories are well known...

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                It always amazes me how some people seem to know all the gossip and others (like me) just get told it.

On Britannia (we were on freedom dining) towards the end of the cruise we sat with a couple and their daughter, they told us of all sorts of shenanigans that had gone on, on board, thefts, arrests, fights, arguments. And there was me thinking everything was most civillised!
                .................................................. .............................................Carol
                Snap Carol - I do hear some gossip however not everything.

I have only ever sailed on one ship with a laundry room so that may explain it

Annie

Comment

I was on Arcadia when someone asked the Commodore had he ever put passengers of for fighting.
                  Yes was the reply once for two men arguing over a sun lounger ,and the lounger ended up over the side ,both them and there wives suffered the same fate.
                  The other was a laundry related one tempers flared lots of shouting and pushing ending up in a fight .
                  I have seen arguments in the Launderette but nothing to serious...Taffy
                  ​Taffy

Comment

I know a lot of gossip from different cruises I have been on but I am so discreet I can't let you in on it! I would feel awful if I did and my OH would tell me off!.........Haha!

Comment

Same old stories doing the rounds all launderettes I visit are fairly quiet I have never seen any unseemly behaviour CG
                      sigpic

Comment

I have relented folks! On my last cruise which was quite a long one, it is alleged that two ladies were having a heated argument about whom had the rights to use the tumble dryer above the machine that one of the ladies was using, one lady said she could use anyone she liked as she had wet clothes out of her washing machine first and some other person was using the one above the said ladies machine so she tried to put it in the tumble dryer above the machine that was being used by the other ladies machine which was just in the final stages of spinning. The lady who's washing was nearly spun stood her ground and refused the other person the use of the tumble dryer. The lady was so angry she put the wet clothes into a basket and left the laundry! The lady who's washing had now spun transferred it from the washing machine to the tumble dryer above and the correct time set to dry the washing. When the lady came back to collect the dry clothes she found that the other ladies wet washing had now been put into another tumble dryer and was merrily tumbling round. When she opened her machine she found that her now dry clothes were covered in melted congealed chocolate she assumed that the person with the grudge had placed two goodnight chocolates (wrappers were indeed found amongst dry clothes) in her tumble dryer thus ruining her very expensive clothes and lingerie! All hell broke loose apparently and the problem had to be sorted out by the Captain! I didn't infact witness this happening but the person that told me assured me it was true as she had had it confirmed by a member of staff!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                        X