• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A "Comfort" Cruise.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jocap, Cumbria
    started a topic A "Comfort" Cruise.

A "Comfort" Cruise.

A few years ago, we booked a "filler" cruise for just a week round the Bay of Biscay, on Ventura....nothing special, but cruise dot happened to mention that there was a great price for last minute bookings. Sadly, just before we joined, something awful happened in our lives, and we had to decide quickly whether to continue or cancel- we continued, and it was the best thing we could have done. We already knew the ship; the destinations were easy to do, and the whole cruise felt like being in a comfortable home. We were also able to talk to friends on this forum, which was worth every penny!
    We have various friends suffering with grief, loneliness and ill health. One person immediately thinks of going back to a Fred Olsen cruise, her earliest cruise line, for comfort; another with a health problem has chosen the ease of the fjords, where much of the time can be spent on deck looking at the scenery, and a widowed friend fancies a TA on the Queen Mary 2 for a touch of luxury.
    What would be your comfort cruise- your time away from problems or illness, and fairly hassle free?

• Mary R, Maryport
    replied
    Thinking about you Carol. Take care. Mary x

Leave a comment:

• Long cruiser, Dollar
    replied
    Originally posted by Jocap, Cumbria View Post
    A few years ago, we booked a "filler" cruise for just a week round the Bay of Biscay, on Ventura....nothing special, but cruise dot happened to mention that there was a great price for last minute bookings. Sadly, just before we joined, something awful happened in our lives, and we had to decide quickly whether to continue or cancel- we continued, and it was the best thing we could have done. We already knew the ship; the destinations were easy to do, and the whole cruise felt like being in a comfortable home. We were also able to talk to friends on this forum, which was worth every penny!
    We have various friends suffering with grief, loneliness and ill health. One person immediately thinks of going back to a Fred Olsen cruise, her earliest cruise line, for comfort; another with a health problem has chosen the ease of the fjords, where much of the time can be spent on deck looking at the scenery, and a widowed friend fancies a TA on the Queen Mary 2 for a touch of luxury.
    What would be your comfort cruise- your time away from problems or illness, and fairly hassle free?
    In the last week of my husbands life he asked me to take the family on the Boudicca and have some of his ashes scattered in the Baltic
    Fred Olsen were great and made or cruise very special, they also helped me book the cruise to the Black Sea which I am going on next week. It was one we had often talked about going on. Everyone may have their own reasons for going somewhere that will bring them comfort whether it is on a cruise or on land, memories are something most of us hold dear
    Last edited by Long cruiser, Dollar; 30th September 2014, 10:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• poshtotty, north yorkshire
    replied
    Another vote for the Fjords here, preferably on QM2..

Leave a comment:

• antalismy, UK
    replied
    Originally posted by Happy, Wolverhampton View Post
    I find any cruise a comfort but a cruise to the fjords is the most breathtaking and relaxing of all. Looking forward to going again in August 2015.
    Agree with you indeed. So refreshing and scenic.

Leave a comment:

• Jocap, Cumbria
    replied
    Dear Carol- lots of love and thoughts. xx

Leave a comment:

• Lizzie, Lymington
    replied
    Carol, Sending you lots of love. Lizzie x

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Take care Carol. xxx

Leave a comment:

• Calgray, Yorkshire
    replied
    Originally posted by History Addict, Alfreton View Post
    Not so much for comfort but when our pace of life gets too much we just book a short cruise to re-charge our batteries. It works every time.

If if I ever had a bereavement I think the first thing I'd do is book a cruise. You can have as much company or solitude as you want away from your normal environment.
    I have spent many an hour over the last few months remembering all the wonderful times over the years I have spent with my dear husband on our cruises.
    If I could ever get round to considering a break ... a cruise would be my choice.
    But I'm afraid at the moment my comfort zone is HOME!
    I would feel so alone and it would seem a betrayal to go away without him................ One day perhaps, but in the meantime I will continue reading and Yes! enjoying all your reports x

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied
    I had a similar experience to Jo some years ago. My mother died three months after a stroke and I was caring for my father who had dementia and other health problems. We had a cruise booked with Page &Moy, on Ocean Majesty. I thought we should cancell, but everyone else said no, my in-laws looked after my dad and, the day following my mother's funeral, we boarded Ocean Majesty at Harwich. I was convinced we shouldn't be there.

We met the 'boys in the band' at check in and were greeted by a bartender we knew well, who phoned the Bar Manager, who came to welcome us back. I began to relax. When we went on deck for sail away the leader of the band hugged me and said "You'll be OK". Yes, I was. The fjords are excellent therapy. And Ocean Majesty was truly the friendliest ship afloat.

Leave a comment:

• History Addict, Alfreton
    replied
    Originally posted by homer, aberdeen View Post
    Any cruise we have done we find a comfort. Once on board all the stress in our lives seem to melt away and the joy of being at sea takes over. We always meet new people and make friends that we still contact once back home. No cooking cleaning or driving let the experts do the work....... brilliant!
    Not so much for comfort but when our pace of life gets too much we just book a short cruise to re-charge our batteries. It works every time.

If if I ever had a bereavement I think the first thing I'd do is book a cruise. You can have as much company or solitude as you want away from your normal environment.

Leave a comment:

• homer, aberdeen
    replied
    Any cruise we have done we find a comfort. Once on board all the stress in our lives seem to melt away and the joy of being at sea takes over. We always meet new people and make friends that we still contact once back home. No cooking cleaning or driving let the experts do the work....... brilliant!

Leave a comment:

• drewlin, wigan
    replied
    What a great post Jo. I'm sat here dreaming of all our past cruises all of which would be wonderful to do again. Cruising is definitely my idea of relaxing with plenty of sea days so I would love to do our Aurora cruise to Caribbean and back again.

Leave a comment:

• cornish girl, falmouth
    replied
    Good post Jo, my comfort cruise would be to the fjords on my favourite ship the Aurora. likely to meet old friends , and watch the wonderful scenery CG

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Originally posted by Happy, Wolverhampton View Post
    I find any cruise a comfort but a cruise to the fjords is the most breathtaking and relaxing of all. Looking forward to going again in August 2015.
    Our comfort cruise is also the fjords, but it has to be on a certain cruise line, and if she's around, a certain Queen Victoria.

Edit
    We cram one in every two years such is the 'comfort' aspect.
    Last edited by Mrs M; 28th September 2014, 08:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X