• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back from a Cruise - Need another one to recover!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back from a Cruise - Need another one to recover!

Just back last week from a great cruise, but its taken me days to sleep it off and recover. Do you come back from a cruise fully rested or fully exhausted.

Perhaps I try to do too much, but there is so much to enjoy and I want to do it all - how do you cope and what do you do to relax?

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
    ...how do you cope and what do you do to relax?
    Well I don't relax either...there is too much to do and see on-board and ashore!
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
      Well I don't relax either...there is too much to do and see on-board and ashore!
      I relax by walking. I also have a training schedule before a long trip - you have to be as fit as you can be

You sometimes need to train for holidays in the same way as marathon runners - that way you don't run out of stamina.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
        I relax by walking. I also have a training schedule before a long trip - you have to be as fit as you can be

You sometimes need to train for holidays in the same way as marathon runners - that way you don't run out of stamina.

Annie
        I agree Annie and walking is something we usually do too to get into training for our cruises. Unfortunately on this occasion the 'training' fell a bit lapse as I had put my back out and trapped a nerve in my leg pre cruise. I think on this cruise what was perhaps particularly draining was the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
          I agree Annie and walking is something we usually do too to get into training for our cruises. Unfortunately on this occasion the 'training' fell a bit lapse as I had put my back out and trapped a nerve in my leg pre cruise. I think on this cruise what was perhaps particularly draining was the heat.
          Ouch poor you - heat I cope with by drinking lots of fluid but the humidity of some places can have me beat.

Annie

Comment

I like sightseeing but also like to relax. I'm always tired for the first couple of days on ship due to working hard then again when I get home. I blame the journey home and the thought of going back to work! Lol ;)
            don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Training in preparation for a cruise? you have to be joking you are going on holiday , we all do all the sights and sounds and we walk a fair bit , we are in our 70.'s , and we take part in most of the ships activities, dancing, exploring , deck games , we eat late so can always catnap before cocktails and dinner and a show.
              I would say your cruise was a success if you come back exhausted as you have packed everything into it also sea days are good for lounging in between activites if you feel you have overdone it .CG
              sigpic

Comment

It all depends upon the cruising area doesn't it??

One of my friends has recently returned from a Baltic cruise - exhausted. Her words - she was not fit enough. She did not cope well with all the walking. Hardly surprising she takes the car everywhere. Her next cruise is around NZ and she is in training already - her words again - she will be fitter.

Annie

Comment

Same here,We also "train" for a holiday or cruise depending on where it goes,some ports of call are intensive,(Rome,SPB,etc) so you do need to be quite fit,I also think the heat makes a big difference when walking around,we are not used to it here in Blighty1 Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post
                    Training in preparation for a cruise? you have to be joking you are going on holiday , we all do all the sights and sounds and we walk a fair bit , we are in our 70.'s , and we take part in most of the ships activities, dancing, exploring , deck games , we eat late so can always catnap before cocktails and dinner and a show.
                    I would say your cruise was a success if you come back exhausted as you have packed everything into it also sea days are good for lounging in between activites if you feel you have overdone it .CG
                    CG

How I agree with you, in my mid 70's never train for anything, especially not a holiday, the only walking I do on holiday is leisurely, whether that's on a ship or land holiday. We are normally up early, bed late when on holiday, and pack into our holiday as much as we can, but it's all done at a leisurely pace to suit us.

My wife does not get around so easily, so she is happy to find a place to sit whilst I go off and do my own thing, normally with a camera in hand. I can walk for miles if I have to, but never train for it. Having lost over a stone in weight over the past year (not intentionally or through exercise), I should be even fitter. I cannot wait to have a holiday after my OP to start putting weight back on, and buying some clothes that fit.

The most tiring thing about a holiday is the drive home, but that's the same for all holidays Land or Sea. However whilst on holiday, if it's a cruise, the ship takes the strain, if it's a land holiday, then the coach takes the strain.

The most tiring holidays for us are our self drive holidays, but these days we keep them to a minimum.
                    Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 12th August 2014, 11:32 AM.
                    Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post
                      With you there CG.

The only 'training' I have to do is get into the mind-set for relaxing and no Annie, it has nothing to do with areas cruised. Climbing into kayaks, yomping over uneven ground or stop/start walking around a Baltic city for 6 hrs, no training needed as I keep fit throughout the year.

Comment

I do think fitness can be a problem to some people who cruise. I always say about world cruises, take one whilst you are fit and able to do so. if you are not fit you miss out on so much.
                        Whilst in Petra earlier this years I was amazed how many unfit people, and many people with health issues took the tour that involves a fair amount of walking and the heat was very intense as we were walking in the midday sun. People booked the tour and good for them, but we had a few casualties. People unable to make it back and people collapsing. Me and Mr MM are fit and we walk daily.Each morning we set off just as the sun has risen before it gets too hot and we walk 5 km non stop . We do this most days as it keeps you fit and as you get older it keeps your cholesterol down.
                        Today had to see my GP as he had tested my cholesterol recently. Today was the results. he was flabbergasted at how low mine is. He said you must do a lot of exercise and eat a good diet. yes I said I do and when I told him about the walking he was amazed. He said exercise, and particularly walking and a good diet is all you need to keep a healthy life and heart . He was very happy with me , so I will carry on walking I have done this morning routine for over ten years and sometimes it is hard but you have to make it a life style thing. So now a days when we do long 12 hour tours we are rarely tired other than for seeing to much in one day.
                        I hope Bradbury you soon feel back to your old self and let us know how the cruise was. Relax and get back to normal.

Comment

Originally posted by MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS View Post
                          I do think fitness can be a problem to some people who cruise. I always say about world cruises, take one whilst you are fit and able to do so. if you are not fit you miss out on so much.
                          Whilst in Petra earlier this years I was amazed how many unfit people, and many people with health issues took the tour that involves a fair amount of walking and the heat was very intense as we were walking in the midday sun. People booked the tour and good for them, but we had a few casualties. People unable to make it back and people collapsing. Me and Mr MM are fit and we walk daily.Each morning we set off just as the sun has risen before it gets too hot and we walk 5 km non stop . We do this most days as it keeps you fit and as you get older it keeps your cholesterol down.
                          Today had to see my GP as he had tested my cholesterol recently. Today was the results. he was flabbergasted at how low mine is. He said you must do a lot of exercise and eat a good diet. yes I said I do and when I told him about the walking he was amazed. He said exercise, and particularly walking and a good diet is all you need to keep a healthy life and heart . He was very happy with me , so I will carry on walking I have done this morning routine for over ten years and sometimes it is hard but you have to make it a life style thing. So now a days when we do long 12 hour tours we are rarely tired other than for seeing to much in one day.
                          I hope Bradbury you soon feel back to your old self and let us know how the cruise was. Relax and get back to normal.
                          Thank you MM,
                          Been back just over a week and now begining to feel human again. Not helped by a bit of crisis at work whilst I was away, so after the unpacking and ironing, ful days at work and crashing out to sleep every night straight after tea and I am finally in full flow again.

The cruise was amazing. Celebrity have done it again, gone the extra mile with everything. Just brilliant. A review is in progress draft form and will appear shortly.

Comment

We come back fully refreshed as a cruise to us is a great way to take it easy and relax.

Comment

I always come back on a complete high. I can't wait to go through the photos, write the review ans book the next one. Te good mood lasts for weeks.

We walk a lot and on board always take the stairs. The only time I've over estimated my fitness was climbing the tower in Bordeaux. Judith

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X