• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blogging

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blogging

Hi Every one

Firstly let me say, I enjoy reading peoples blogs very much, either over breakfast or with a coffee when I get in at the end of the day. However, do you think sometimes there is just to much information.

Do you prefer an outline of the ships facilities, the food, the ports of call, entertainment, or would you rather read about everything. I'm sorry to say, Maggie, that whilst I am really pleased you had a good time and I'm thankful you gave such an in depth description, you have put me off trying a World Cruise.

Some of the places sounded amazing, but an awful lot more sounded awful,
    The thought of missing dinner more often than not because the ports were so tiring.
    Going to the launderette, or washing bits out by hand and ironing.
    Having to think about dressing for dinner every night for 3 months if you did go.
    The room in a permanent mess because of all the things you have to take with you.
    Sorting money, and visas out.

So do some blogs put you off trying things or are you glad to know about everything before you cruise? .................................................. ....................Carol

I wouldn't want to do a world cruise, but not because of anyone's blog. I just think it would be too long to be away from home. You would definitely have to be extremely organised to pack so much for all conditions.
    2018-
    Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
    NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
    Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
    Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
    Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
      So do some blogs put you off trying things...
      Hi Carol, iIf Maggie's blog has put you off a world cruise is of course NOT a failure of the blog, but it may well have informed you that the experience is just not for you.

..or are you glad to know about everything before you cruise?
      I have written some very long cruise reviews (and blogs on other sites) as I like to include lots of detail. HOWEVER I do not tend to write about the ports of call much.

When I read a review/blog I want to know about the ship, it's public rooms, it's facilities, entertainment and food and service.

Rome is Rome - I want to know how the P&O experience (for example) differs from say the Royal Caribbean experience. OR I want to know how the Azura experience differs from the Oriana one.

I don't generally give details of the menus or pictures of the food. I just try to provide an overview of the quality and service.

I have been researching river cruises lately, especially the cheaper ones. Many reviews (including cruise.dot staff ones) focus on the ports and excursiosn. I'm more interested in the Hardware (boat) and Software (crew). Writing the boat was "nice" and food "good" is NOT very informative. I want to know:
      • What public rooms/spaces did the river boat have?
      • Who were the clientele?
      • On-board atmosphere?
      • Did the boat feel crowded?
      • Food and service? Queue's for food? Choice of food? Competence of waiters bar staff?
      • Entertainment/Enrichment?
      • Cabins?
      • Does the air-con/heating work?
      • Vibration? Etc.

I'm not too interested that the passengers visited a medieval church!

(I do accept different readers my require different information).
      Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 16th May 2014, 10:51 AM.
      See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Hi Carol

I know what you mean

WC is not for me. 5 weeks away from home is long enough and I usually combine a land trip with a cruise. As a solo, I also have to think of house security and in addition I have some carer duties.

I am paraphrasing JC here I think when he said a couple of gems amidst a fair bit of dross (IMHO) during a WC.

I actually cancelled a 33 day cruise because the bucket list content was not high enough. However I cruise for the itinerary and not the vessel.

So on a long cruise, I purchase a laundry package. Back to your OP, an outline of the ships facilities, activities and ports of call is sufficient. Food is subjective issue and I speed read through that section of any blog I read. Dressing for dinner - frankly I am not interested - I am on holiday. But hey if you enjoy that, go for it.

So to summarise if blogs are heavy on fashion and food, I tend to skip them.

Annie
        Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 16th May 2014, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
          Hi Carol, iIf Maggie's blog has put you off a world cruise is of course NOT a failure of the blog, but it may well have informed you that the experience is just not for you.

I have written some very long cruise reviews (and blogs on other sites) as I like to include lots of detail. HOWEVER I do not tend to write about the ports of call much.

When I read a review/blog I want to know about the ship, it's public rooms, it's facilities, entertainment and food and service.

Rome is Rome - I want to know how the P&O experience (for example) differs from say the Royal Caribbean experience. OR I want to know how the Azura experience differs from the Oriana one.

I don't generally give details of the menus or pictures of the food. I just try to provide an overview of the quality and service.

I have been researching river cruises lately, especially the cheaper ones. Many reviews (including cruise.dot staff ones) focus on the ports and excursiosn. I'm more interested in the Hardware (boat) and Software (crew). Writing the boat was "nice" and food "good" is NOT very informative. I want to know:
          • On-board atmosphere?
          • Food and service? Queue's for food? Choice of food? Competence of waiters bar staff?
          • Cabins?
          • Vibration? Etc.

I totally agree with you Malcolm. Ports are ports. Cruise blogs need to be heavy on the ship info and the ship experience and whilst port info is great as an additional extra, it shouldn't be in place of the main area of blogging...the boat/ship.

The only caveat I'd add is info regarding the ship/ambiance/food/dress code/fellow passengers/cabin layout and facilities etc is finite and when all these points have been covered or are being covered, that's when the personal touch, such as MM's comes in and THEN the medieval church and photos of beautiful outfits DEFINITELY adds an extra fillip.

Comment

Hi Every one

Firstly let me say, I enjoy reading peoples blogs very much, either over breakfast or with a coffee when I get in at the end of the day. However, do you think sometimes there is just to much information.

Do you prefer an outline of the ships facilities, the food, the ports of call, entertainment, or would you rather read about everything. I'm sorry to say, Maggie, that whilst I am really pleased you had a good time and I'm thankful you gave such an in depth description, you have put me off trying a World Cruise.

The thought of missing dinner more often than not because the ports were so tiring.
            Having to think about dressing for dinner every night for 3 months if you did go.
            The room in a permanent mess because of all the things you have to take with you.

So do some blogs put you off trying things or are you glad to know about everything before you cruise? .................................................. ....................Carol
            There is NO way I could manage a worldie. I have neither the time to spend or the inclination, at the moment.

BUT, having sailed on a world sector for a month, I have to say missing dinner occasionally, doing laundry, dressing for dinner every night isn't an issue.
            A worldie is a totally different cruise to a one/two week cruise. It's laid back, there's always tomorrow. No-one rushes anything.
            Miss dinner? Fine, supper in the Lido.
            Can't be bothered dressing for dinner? Fine, supper in the Lido, or the cabin or miss out the meal.

It is a whole new ambiance. Mañana covered it for our 'whole worldie' table companions and it definitely worked for us too.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post

• On-board atmosphere?
              • Cabins?
              • Vibration? Etc.

Point taken Malcolm but if you asked a cross section of passengers on any cruise, what was the service/food/ambience etc like , you will receive a range of answers.

Passengers who post videos of their ocean cruise and river cruises on You Tube can be very helpful too.

Annie

Comment

Hi Every one

I reckon that if MM's blog put you off a Wordlie, might that not suggest that a Wordlie just isn't for you? I'm not sure it would be for me, but MM's blog might have saved you from making a VERY expensive mistake (if you were thinking about it).

Personally I blog mainly for myself, and am happy to try and help answer questions where possible. I enjoy reading blogs, and the more detail the better (reading other's blogs is partly why I started my own).

I find that port information can be really useful, as can ship information. I like to be able to skip bits that aren't interesting to me (which is why I try to split my blogs with headers, so others can do the same). I also love food, so good photos are something I include (and enjoy seeing).

One of the most important things on a blog for me (and something MM does very well) is the photography. They say a picture says a thousand words, and photos really get the message across to me.

I know how much time goes into a blog and I don't expect any thanks for it as I do it for me (though the comments I do get are very much appreciated!) so I appreciate all efforts and, like Annie said, just skip or ignore the bits that don't interest me as much.
                Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Blog is short for "web-log" which is an online journal or newsletter

Don't start confusing a blog with a review. There will be plenty of time to hear about the ship and other trivial things when the writer returns.
                  A good blog will be an account of the daily experiences by the person writing it.
                  Duncan's blog is a prime example which has a good mixture of everything. If you consider he is giving up his time and money then his efforts should be applauded. It takes a considerable amount of effort to produce a live blog while you are away.
                  I would appear its very easy to fall into the whinging brigade by those who have never made the effort.
                  www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Comment

I enjoy reading all blogs,and have picked up loads of good tips from the blogger(s).I now know some places i thought i wanted to visit and now would not bother with,other side of the coin is i now want to go to places i never fancied before. Jan.
                    Last edited by JamesBrown, Bromsgrove; 19th May 2014, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Like Duncan, I started my blogs for my own purposes to let family and friends know how we were getting on, and also to help (my dodgy memory) remember the cruise afterwards. Having then also religiously followed others blogs, I started to look on doing my own ones as "doing my bit" for the blog section of the forums.

Where I differ from Duncan however, is the photos. I'll be careful here as a small group of people closed ranks on me on another forum when I dared say something similar, but what I mean is that photo's are great where they add value to the blog. But when overused, repeatedly show the same thing/person, or include the same generic shots everyone has seen a dozen times before, then there is a danger the opposite becomes true, which is a shame after all that work and effort.

Yes, there's a well worn saying about a photo says a thousand words etc, but equally there's also a quote from a famous author basically suggesting if you need pictures maybe consider a children's book next time. I wouldn't go that far - as I say, some photos can add real value - but, ultimately, a well written blog (of which we get a plethora on here) can stand alone unaided by the modern obsession to photo everything from your barely covered anatomy to your Brussel sprouts.

To me, a good blog should leave the reader wanting to experience what you have because you have sufficiently aroused their interest and imagination - not leave them with so much detail and unnecessary photographs that they feel they needn't bother. That said, what does or doesn't go into a blog is up to the author. God knows there are people who avoid mine at all costs, and very occasionally others blogs that leave me uninterested. It's their choice in the same way that it's our choice whether to follow them.

now what was the question again Carol ? ;)
                      Last edited by Dennis the Menace, Wiltshire; 16th May 2014, 01:35 PM.

Comment

P.s. I should also add that I would happily page-through/ignore dozens of unnecessary photos if the alternative was to not have the blog at all

Comment

Cruising is like everything else in life, we all have our likes and dislikes, what appeals to one, may not appeal to the other, even in the same household.

Personally a World cruise would not be for us, thankfully not for any financial aspects, but there is no way I would be able to drag Lorraine away from the family for that amount of time.

I have a job to get her to take a holiday for more than a week at a time. The longest we have been on a cruise is 3 weeks, and that was just about right. Even then I had to get our daughter to talk her into going. Three months away would scare the life out of her.

I like reading blogs and have even considered blogging myself, just a general blog not just about cruising, but mainly for adding description to some of the photo's I have taken, but then again I am one of those people who when buying a magazine, often skips the print to look at the pictures :-). Same with blogs I tend to look at the photo's first then read the print.

I don't like blogs or reviews which are like long monologues, I prefer small paragraphs with a photo as an illustration. I also like those blogs (reviews) which include some humour into them, Dennis and Wilba's blogs come to mind.

In regards to cruising, as well as details of the ship, I also like details of ports of call or excursions, especially to places I have not personally visited, sometimes I enjoy these more the ship.

I am in no way a foodie, so pictures of food hold very little interest to me, they tend to put me off rather than entice me. Very often because it is very difficult to make a plate of food look other than cold in a photo, different with puddings which are often meant to be served cold.

Also as I saw someone else once post on the forum, they prefer their plate of food to look like a meal, not a minimalistic work of art.

Sent from my iPad
                          Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 16th May 2014, 11:08 PM. Reason: Changed the world in last paragraph from something to someone.
                          Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Carol
                            Had Maggie not gone into so much detail you may never have realised that a World Cruise was not for you. I personally like the detail. I think I said on another thread detail, detail, detail.

I have to admit that I didnt read all of Maggies Blog (and I'm only using this as an example, not singling it out for any other reason) purley because it was long, I skimmed over, picking out the bits that interested me.

When blogs are long lines of text, I do think its much better to break it up with images - much the same as Duncans Blog. For me Duncan has the perfect balance.

As I have said before 'Blogs' that make sweeping statements such as we are having a wonderful time, the ship is great, the foods fantastic mean nothing to me. Detail why; Detail why the cabin is lovley; detail why the food is fantastic; Detail why you enjoy the entertainment. For example someone may be enjoying the entertainment because its all clasical music and unless they say that we wouldnt know any different. so someone else may go thinking the entertainment is great but they hate classical music and was expecting 70's disco music or something else if you get my drift.

So Detail is the answer for me, the more the better, then read what you need...leave what doesnt interest you.

Comment

Personally I love reading blogs, but do agree that the ship info is much more important than the ports; I can see those some other way if I want to (and probably will with the more interesting ones) but for me the ship's still very much the thing

Not sure about a worldie - maybe one day, but can't help feeling several month long ones would be just as nice somehow, and if the area is attractive, it means you can get to know it in more depth

Cheers,
                              Lynn

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X