• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Least Favourite Ports of Call?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Least Favourite Ports of Call?

Hi You can visit some brilliant places on most cruise ships but some ports of you call in at are a disappointment, what ports of call did you dislike.

I hated Ensenada (Mexico) it was dirty with nothing there, Vigo in Spain has little to attract my attention (it was cold and raining when I went which didn't help its cause) and in Kingstown St Vincent I sensed hostility towards tourists and was grateful to get back on the ship

Vigo is a paradise compared to La Goulette (Tunis) and Port Said (Egypt)

Comment

Lisbon is less welcomingl since the recession. Begging has increased and I think much that I saw was not by the locals. Shops had perpetuals "sales" or had closed and on one visit, there was a rally (against the government or unemployment). Also we had a long diatribe from our guide about how badly Portugal was affected by the crash of 2008, etc. She was obviously intelligent, it was interesting, informative and thought-provoking but a tourist coach excursion was not really the right place for it.

Obviously a good thing for them is for tourists to go and spend in their country, but I feel we are being put off wanting to do so.

Comment

For us it has to be Bari in Italy.
        Jill

Comment

Agadir .....
          sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

We didn't really like Gibraltar.

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria, Aberystwyth View Post
              We didn't really like Gibraltar.
              I appreciate that we are all different, but Gibraltar does have a reasonable range of things to see, unlike Vigo.

Agadir is just not very nice!
              See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

I didn't like Izmir but maybe I should've taken an excursion there and not try and do it myself.

Comment

I don't have a least favoured port. They are all interesting in their own way, even if it's just viewing the scenery from the ship. There was one port however where I felt a little intimidated [in Guatemala] but that didn't mean I didn't enjoy it, I was just glad I was part of a large ship's tour rather than on one picked up on the quayside.

Comment

Originally posted by ROSEBASKETS, Yorkshire View Post
                    Vigo is a paradise compared to La Goulette (Tunis)
                    Ooh we are off to La Goulette in October, I didn't want to get off but the better half insists we do!

Most pointless port we ever ended up in was Brest, concrete city!
                    Aurora 2004 - Sun Princess 2005 -QE2 2006 - Oceana 2007 - Grand Princess 2007 - Oriana 2008 - QM2 2008 - Grand Princess 2009 - Voyager of the Seas 2009 - Oceana 2009 - Oriana 2010 - Star Princess 2011 - Grand Princess Dec 2012 - Oceana 2012 - Grand princess Xmas 2012 - Ruby Princess May 2013 - Ruby Princess October 2013 - Emerald Princess May 2014 - Grand Princess Nov 2014 - Anthem of the Seas June 2015 - Britannia Dec 2015

Comment

Civitavecchia (Rome) is our least favourite Port, having been there so many times, we have got fed up with travelling into the City by coach/train. I love Rome itself, but we now only visit for short breaks during the week so much better than trying to do it from a ship.
                      Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

Originally posted by Mike, West Midlands View Post
                        Ooh we are off to La Goulette in October, I didn't want to get off but the better half insists we do!

Most pointless port we ever ended up in was Brest, concrete city!
                        Oh you'll love it, don't let me put you off. I'm sure all the mosquito's are dead at that time of year and it's not 40 Degrees in the shade and don't be put off by a shopkeeper in the middle of the souk in Tunis says "please, please, get your little girl out of here as soon as you can because there are many men who will try to steal her and they like blonde ones most"

Comment

Gerona not for me...no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tenpin, Basingstoke View Post
                            Civitavecchia (Rome) is our least favourite Port, having been there so many times, we have got fed up with travelling into the City by coach/train. I love Rome itself, but we now only visit for short breaks during the week so much better than trying to do it from a ship.
                            Civitavecchia has also gone more expensive. $10 for 2 small local beers rip off

Comment

Casablanca.

The worst docks I've ever been in - absolutely filthy. When I was going to disembark the carpets on that deck were all covered in polythene. I thought they were going to do a spot of painting. Not so - it was to protect the carpets from the black sludge from the docks. It was wet when we arrived and even the buses had newspapers down the aisles. Pity anyone in a self-propelled wheelchair - their hands must have black! When we got back in the afternoon it was dry and this fine black dust was everywhere.

Casablanca itself has nothing to offer. I went on the 'Highlights of Casablanca'!!! There wasn't any.

At the Captain's reception the evening before docking he strongly recommended an excursion - any excursion as Casablanca was a pretty poor port of call. It makes one wonder why cruise lines go there knowing it's crap.

But hey - I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't been there myself.

cheers
                              Harvey

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X