• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your holiday spending money

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Your holiday spending money

    When we decided to go on an extended cruise/stay holiday in Australia, I asked my bank for advice on the best way to obtain money in different currencies. They advised taking a little currency and using my debit card at ATMs in Oz and South Africa. I subsequently advised the bank and my CC company which countries I would be visiting and when. Then I put the amount I thought I would need to draw from ATMs into my current account. Simples.

    Simples no. The first thing I did was to leave my credit card at home - what a plonker Rodney.

    No problem though, that was only the back-up. I had Oz dollars and my debit card. When the $A had nearly run out, I went to an ATM. Card Declined . I went in to the bank and the teller said don't worry I'll do it for you, do you have your ID? I didn't have it on me so back the next day. The next day, the teller had to ring the UK and was on the phone for 20 minutes while I waited (she was brilliant) after that I had to speak and give my ID evidence - apologies for the error and they would fix it. Luckily, they did and my wife had her credit card with her as well and the holiday went swimmingly.

    The moral of the story - always have a back-up and don't forget your credit card.

    Have you had a problem with getting cash on holiday or on a cruise?

    #2
    Originally posted by Hampshire Thorn, Fareham View Post
    When we decided to go on an extended cruise/stay holiday in Australia, I asked my bank for advice on the best way to obtain money in different currencies. They advised taking a little currency and using my debit card at ATMs in Oz and South Africa. I subsequently advised the bank and my CC company which countries I would be visiting and when. Then I put the amount I thought I would need to draw from ATMs into my current account. Simples.

    Simples no. The first thing I did was to leave my credit card at home - what a plonker Rodney.

    No problem though, that was only the back-up. I had Oz dollars and my debit card. When the $A had nearly run out, I went to an ATM. Card Declined . I went in to the bank and the teller said don't worry I'll do it for you, do you have your ID? I didn't have it on me so back the next day. The next day, the teller had to ring the UK and was on the phone for 20 minutes while I waited (she was brilliant) after that I had to speak and give my ID evidence - apologies for the error and they would fix it. Luckily, they did and my wife had her credit card with her as well and the holiday went swimmingly.

    The moral of the story - always have a back-up and don't forget your credit card.

    Have you had a problem with getting cash on holiday or on a cruise?
    Not cash, but on one of my trips to Boston, my CC was declined for some reason [I think it was because I was in the US and my husband elsewhere and we were both spending] and I only had one with me. I couldn't sort it out as it was a secondary card on my husband's account and he was out of mobile reach.

    Luckily, I was with my friend who lives out there so she became my banker until I could reach my banker to ask him to sort it pdq.

    Moral of story...I now take three cards away with me.

    Comment


      #3
      Always a tricky one this and can be a bit of a dilemma. I do take my DC for cash withdrawals and also take my credit card with me as a back up. Once I get on board ship, I split them up and try not to carry the two with me together.

      Comment


        #4
        It happened to me in Crete about 10 years ago. The only card I could get to work was my corporate credit card... I wasn't too popular with my accounts department but all sorted in the end

        Comment


          #5
          Hi HT, I have always taken cash with me and two credit cards [one is my husbands] and a debit card, thankfully no problems.CG
          sigpic

          Comment


            #6
            I take cash, leftover TCs - now not worth the hassle , 2 DCs and 2 CCs.

            Like Bradbury, I split them all up.

            Annie

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
              Always a tricky one this and can be a bit of a dilemma. I do take my DC for cash withdrawals and also take my credit card with me as a back up. Once I get on board ship, I split them up and try not to carry the two with me together.
              I try to put all my spending on my no-fee credit card, and carry a second card as a back-up, also no-fee. This acheives the best exchange rate you can achieve (as long as you are billed in the foreign currency). I do not take cash as I have never have had a problem withdrawing it from an ATM with a debit card and exchange rates for buying cash in UK are much worse than spending on a credit card. If the debit card is declined then I still have the credit cards to withdraw cash, albeit with a fee - but I have NEVER needed to get cash on a CC.

              Comment


                #8
                Once when in California they had an outage (power cut) which took out all of that state, most of Oregon and parts of Nevada. Absolutely everything went down for about 4 hours - shop checkouts, bank ATMs, the lot. Luckily we'd drawn plenty of money the previous day, but plenty got a bit worried when they couldn't access ready cash!!!

                Cheers,
                Lynn

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Mitchell Derby, Derby View Post
                  Once when in California they had an outage (power cut) which took out all of that state, most of Oregon and parts of Nevada. Absolutely everything went down for about 4 hours - shop checkouts, bank ATMs, the lot. Luckily we'd drawn plenty of money the previous day, but plenty got a bit worried when they couldn't access ready cash!!!

                  Cheers,
                  Lynn
                  We had this in Stockholm once - they would not even accept cash because the electronic tills could not issue a bill.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Mitchell Derby, Derby View Post
                    Once when in California they had an outage (power cut) which took out all of that state, most of Oregon and parts of Nevada. Absolutely everything went down for about 4 hours - shop checkouts, bank ATMs, the lot. Luckily we'd drawn plenty of money the previous day, but plenty got a bit worried when they couldn't access ready cash!!!

                    Cheers,
                    Lynn
                    The joy of living in a relatively cash-free society eh.




                    Originally posted by segedunum, Tyneside View Post
                    We had this in Stockholm once - they would not even accept cash because the electronic tills could not issue a bill.

                    That must have been interesting. Did they refuse to serve you, give it to you for free or make you wash up when you went for a meal?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post
                      Hi HT, I have always taken cash with me and two credit cards [one is my husbands] and a debit card, thankfully no problems.CG

                      Hi CG, do you take your husband as well as his credit card?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Hampshire Thorn, Fareham View Post
                        Hi CG, do you take your husband as well as his credit card?
                        That was my mistake HT.

                        Shopping is still better without the other half though if poss!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                          That was my mistake HT.

                          Shopping is still better without the other half though if poss!

                          Wot!!! Carry your own bags?????????

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Hampshire Thorn, Fareham View Post
                            Wot!!! Carry your own bags?????????
                            Yep. Better than 'Not another shop' or 'but you've got something similar'!!!!!!!!

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Having recently lost my wallet, I had to cancel all my cards (this was in the UK not abroad). My husband and I found that some banks made us cancel both our cards, I have a secondary card on his account. This made us think about what we would do if we were on holiday, as I think we would have assumed that it was only the lost card that would be unusable. I would certainly be more careful to ensure that we had another card elsewhere for emergency use, but we do usually do this on holiday anyway, leaving some cards in the safe etc.

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X