• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A good book to read

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    A good book to read

    Hi Guys ive just finished reading a good cruise based novel written by Milly Johnson .the book is titled "Here come the girls" and its about 4 Former School friends who meet up aged around 40 to go on a Cruise to fulfill a School girl pledge.The Cruise is around the Adriatic Sea taking in Dubrovnik Venice Etc and the Author Very cleverly puts in lots of Informaion about the Destinations and life in General on a Cruise Ship.
    Kind regards Quizzer

    #2
    Is the ship and cruise line fictional?
    See my cruise blog: HERE

    Comment


      #3
      Hi malcolm. i have passed the book onto another cruise friend and to be honest i cannot remember the Ships Name in the Story or the Cruise line its from,so my guess is that its fictional .but the Information about visiting certain Ports of call is very factual and the Author brings out all the best cliches of Cruising, Meeting your fellow Diners , Towels left on Sunbeds ,Dinner with the Captain,The book certainly had me smiling in the "Been there done that " mode
      Kind regards Quizzer

      Comment


        #4
        I have just read this book too,it was recommended to me by someone on another forum, I loved it, and I couldn't put it down, it said in her thankyou section that it was based on her cruises on P&O ships if I remember rightly. Showed her obvious love/experience in cruising, and made you smile in places about certain things, as mentioned above by Quizzer. It had a funny love story to it too, tho a little far fetched in places, a true fairytale type ending, but I really enjoyed it.

        Comment


          #5
          And I think the ship was a made up name, something like "Mermaidia" but I can't remember now.

          Comment


            #6
            Some fictional books do use the name of the company. I read a book not long ago and it was about working on one of Cunard's ships as a cabin steward. Back in the days when the English got those kind of jobs and the tips were good. But I think they had to provide their own uniforms?

            Comment


              #7
              The author actually did her research on Azura I believe.

              Comment


                #8
                Thanks Quizzer, something appropriate to take on our cruise very soon. I'm an avid reader!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Many thanks Quizzer, just checked on Amazon reduced to £3.91! It will be on order shortly! Here is the link:

                  Here Come the Girls: Amazon.co.uk: Milly Johnson: Books
                  Lizzie sigpic

                  Comment


                    #10
                    That sounds like a bit of fun for the summer! I'll go to Amazon- thanks, all!
                    Jo.
                    Jo.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      One of my favourite books was written by a doctor who sailed on Cunard. He called it C-Six which was the deck and cabin he was very appropriately allocated ( SeaSick). It told of his life on board and the antics of fellow passengers and crew.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Quizzer, Bradford View Post
                        Hi Guys ive just finished reading a good cruise based novel written by Milly Johnson .the book is titled "Here come the girls" and its about 4 Former School friends who meet up aged around 40 to go on a Cruise to fulfill a School girl pledge.The Cruise is around the Adriatic Sea taking in Dubrovnik Venice Etc and the Author Very cleverly puts in lots of Informaion about the Destinations and life in General on a Cruise Ship.
                        Kind regards Quizzer
                        Quizzer, thank you for that recommendation. As a result, I reserved it from my local library (50p charge), it arrived within 2 weeks and I have just finished it. Very enjoyable and well very researched. A must for female cruisers and also recommended for males who wish to learn more on the workings of the female mind! Talk about Mars and Venus! Incidentally the author, Milly Johnson, credits P & O for their help and the Captain (Phil Bown) of Azura, in particular.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          thanks amazon

                          Thanks to all shall enjoy the recommended read. Like others really enjoyed A thousand splendid suns. Very harrowing but a compulsive read. Changing tack anyone got any ideas in DIY Norway. Have been many times and love it buy looking for something other than the FLamsbanna railway. Very beautiful I know but been there got the t shirts as it were!! We are going late August

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
                            One of my favourite books was written by a doctor who sailed on Cunard. He called it C-Six which was the deck and cabin he was very appropriately allocated ( SeaSick). It told of his life on board and the antics of fellow passengers and crew.
                            Glad you posted this again Bradbury, I couldn't remember how you spelt it! Have just done a search & found it 'used' on Amazon for 1p!! Plus £2.80 postage, can't be bad!
                            Lizzie sigpic

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by DarbyRN, Lee-on-the-Solent View Post
                              Quizzer, thank you for that recommendation. As a result, I reserved it from my local library (50p charge), it arrived within 2 weeks and I have just finished it. Very enjoyable and well very researched. A must for female cruisers and also recommended for males who wish to learn more on the workings of the female mind! Talk about Mars and Venus! Incidentally the author, Milly Johnson, credits P & O for their help and the Captain (Phil Bown) of Azura, in particular.
                              It came in a package of 3 of her books-new- from Amazon; around £12, including postage. I've started one, and it's light relief after my last, rather dismal, novel!
                              Jo.
                              Jo.

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X