• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Now The Time?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Now The Time?

Is now the time to consider a fly cruise let alone book one?

With air travel in the UK, the United States and much of Europe fraught with delays and cancellations the chances of getting to the ship before it sails or getting home on time after seem pretty slim.

Even travelling on a cruise company booked flight does not guarantee it will not be affected. Yes, you might get your money back but that won't make up for the loss of your cruise.

We were speaking to 2 women on Edge last week and they were on a fly cruise. Flight was delayed and they missed the first 2 days of their cruise.. Others on the same flight decided to take the refund.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
      Is now the time to consider a fly cruise let alone book one?

With air travel in the UK, the United States and much of Europe fraught with delays and cancellations the chances of getting to the ship before it sails or getting home on time after seem pretty slim.

Even travelling on a cruise company booked flight does not guarantee it will not be affected. Yes, you might get your money back but that won't make up for the loss of your cruise.
      Some of us would have to fly-cruise within the UK.

I have flown domestically within the UK (hand luggage only) last month and the flights were on schedule.

My next flight will be an overseas flight and I am seriously considering hand luggage only.

Annie
      Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 6th July 2022, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
        We were speaking to 2 women on Edge last week and they were on a fly cruise. Flight was delayed and they missed the first 2 days of their cruise.. Others on the same flight decided to take the refund.
        I would have taken the refund too as the ports on your itinerary IIRC were repeat ports.

Annie

Comment

I would not consider flights from Heathrow, Gatwick or Manchester at any cost, but my last flight out of Birmingham left and returned bang on time, admittedly it was not a bank holiday or weekend.

Birmingham did have its problems, but these appear to have been well managed ever since.

I have booked another fly cruise out of Brum, a Wednesday departure, and feel quite relaxed about it………….Wilba
          Wilba

Comment

I have just returned from our fly cruise, and it will be known from my previous posts that there was a good deal of anxiety pre cruise wondering if our flight would be cancelled. In the event it wasn't, and our experience at LHR T5 couldn't have been better with immediate automatic bag drop, and no queue at all at security. In fact the only queue was at 'spoons for breakfast. FCO was similarly quiet. Our return flight was cancelled and we were put on another 4 hours later than the original. Again, no queues at either end, and no wait for baggage. The ship did wait for around 45 mins for a delayed flight with around 25 pax on it. Perhaps T5 is better than others, and I'd avoid Manchester and Gatwick like the plague. In BA's favour, there was a t least some notice of cancellations. I guess we were very lucky compared to some, and knowing what we now know, I'd be very hesitant to book another fly cruise at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Some of us would have to fly-cruise within the UK.

I have flown domestically within the UK (hand luggage only) last month and the flights were on schedule.

My next flight will be an overseas flight and I am seriously considering hand luggage only.

Annie
              It must be the luck of the draw. What day, time, place.

Our daughter also flew internal UK last week with hand luggage, single passenger.
              That return flight was badly delayed at the airport, then once loaded the plane sat on the tarmac for some considerable time.

A few days after return home she became very unwell with Covid and an app meassage informed that she had been close to an infected person on the date and time of the airport wait and flight. She said that the airport was total chaos and tge rturn plane not much better.
              The outward journey from LHR had been troublefree.

Comment

Done 2 fly cruises out of LHR both worked fine though T5, delay on return from Copenhagen.

The trick is to put contingency into the plans(most cruise air can be changed to accommodate and retain full package)

Pick an airline with multiple flight options a day
                Pick the first flight out the day before the cruise
                Look at all airport options but consider the implication of alternate routing needing an airport change
                Book refundable hotel at destination.
                Pick a late flight home or next day(cruises can get delayed).

Consider Marella/TUI they have incentives to get their pax to the ship.

Having said that we are trying 1 flight a day from Stansted not with a cruise deadline hanging over us

Comment

My other half's taxi runs to Stansted, Heathrow and Luton have picked up considerably. There have been a few delayed outward journeys and a few inward (from the people he has taken), no cancellations (as yet) he won't do Gatwicks now as there are more problems getting to the airport on the roads!!

My friend has just booked with Tui for Tenerife, but her flights are with EasyJet, all protected, so she said if the worst comes to the worst they will just have to re-book. Nothing is guaranteed these days!!

Comment

I thought when I read the headline ,this was a political post😁
                    People have been unlucky , but generally get notice of cancellations.Not putting me off,but just crossing my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
                      I thought when I read the headline ,this was a political post😁.
                      You might appreciate this Phil, what a time for the PM to become a Remainer

Annie

Comment

Hi Annie
                        Naughty naughty..this is in cruise chat not politics..

Garf

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                          Hi Annie
                          Naughty naughty..this is in cruise chat not politics..

Garf
                          Naughty headline prompted Phil's post and I responded

Annie

Comment

We have flights with BA to Rome in September for 4 nights pre cruise so I’m not that worried about delays or flight change but hubby’s a different kettle of fish! 🙄🙈😂
                            We’re the 2nd flight out of 10 flights but 2 x 2 flights leave Glasgow at the same time but have different layovers in Heathrow.
                            we are the 5th flight home out of ten flights and again 4 x 2 flights are at the same time.

Fingers crossed that everything goes to plan as I’ll never hear the end of it from Mr Pessimist. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻
                            don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
                              We have flights with BA to Rome in September for 4 nights pre cruise so I’m not that worried about delays or flight change but hubby’s a different kettle of fish! 🙄🙈😂
                              We’re the 2nd flight out of 10 flights but 2 x 2 flights leave Glasgow at the same time but have different layovers in Heathrow.
                              we are the 5th flight home out of ten flights and again 4 x 2 flights are at the same time.

Fingers crossed that everything goes to plan as I’ll never hear the end of it from Mr Pessimist. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻
                              Good news Issy that a proposed strike by BA check in staff has been called off.

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X