• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Big Decision and Life is Too Short

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith7
    started a topic A Big Decision and Life is Too Short

A Big Decision and Life is Too Short

I have been mulling over a decision regarding an itinerary that I REALLY want to do so would appreciate input from fellow cruisers.

The cruise is called 'The Intrepid Beauty of Africa and the Indian Ocean' and is for 93 days departing Southampton in November 2023.

I have covered a big part of itinerary before and loved every second of it. When I first saw the cruise posted on Fred's website, I wanted to book it there and then but thought better of it and decided to wait.

I will be travelling alone for the first time but that doesn't worry me very much. What I would really like to happen is for Fred to break the cruise into sectors, enabling me to miss the first part, which sails through the Med and the Suez, which I don't particularly want to do again. I do however want to do the rest of it because I have never visited India or The Maldives. I would also be more than happy to revisit all the other Indian Ocean ports of call and those in Africa again.

The problem is that Fred says they have no plans to divide up this cruise. When speaking to my agent. he thinks that it is very difficult for them to plan sectors with the uncertainty of all things Covid still out there.

The cruise is proving to be popular and lots of cabins have already sold. So do I book the full 93 days or risk missing the adventure of a lifetime?
    Last edited by Smith7; 6th May 2022, 09:58 PM.

• Lawnmowerman, Tain
    replied
    Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

It's too late to run a book- I booked the cruise this morning. I'm really happy with the fare, especially as I have an ocean view cabin, £350 OBC, door to door transport to the ship and my discount as a Platinum member of Fred's Oceans Club.

I'll tackle the visas much nearer the time. Apparently I have to arrange them myself for Saudi Arabia, India and Benin (Cotonou).
    Fantastic - well done. Oh the anticipation .

LMM

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    Originally posted by Rosycider, Weston - super - Mare View Post
    The visa application looks straightforward for India and Benin on the respective countries website. Also you will need some vaccinations including yellow fever. I have had that one and can say the after effects of a sore arm are not an exaggeration. It hurts like hell, but don't let that put you off! https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/ is a good website for vaccination advice.
    Fortunately I've already had a yellow fever jab and although it was in 2010, the NHS website said that they are valid for life. Fred Olsen have provided a link to a company they recommend to sort the visas out.

Leave a comment:

• smtcan, Scarborough
    replied
    Originally posted by Rosycider, Weston - super - Mare View Post
    The visa application looks straightforward for India and Benin on the respective countries website. Also you will need some vaccinations including yellow fever. I have had that one and can say the after effects of a sore arm are not an exaggeration. It hurts like hell, but don't let that put you off! https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/ is a good website for vaccination advice.
    Indian visa wasn’t too difficult here in Toronto, we went to the office and handed in the paperwork we had printed from their website. I don’t know your age Jill, but yellow fever vaccines are not recommended for over 65 years. We got an exemption letter from our doctor when we went to Tanzania.
    I am glad you made your decision, now you really have something to look forward to.
    Sheila

Leave a comment:

• Rosycider, Weston - super - Mare
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
    a

Fantastic, I'm looking forward to hearing all about it, it sounds wonderful. Especially the Maldives bit
    The Maldives was not covered on out last Round Africa/Indian Ocean cruise Carol, so a new port of call for me. As with many of the ports of call, I'm looking forward to returning and doing something different because there was so much to see.

Leave a comment:

• carol, welwyn garden city
    replied
    a

It's too late to run a book- I booked the cruise this morning. I'm really happy with the fare, especially as I have an ocean view cabin, £350 OBC, door to door transport to the ship and my discount as a Platinum member of Fred's Oceans Club.

I'll tackle the visas much nearer the time. Apparently I have to arrange them myself for Saudi Arabia, India and Benin (Cotonou).
    Fantastic, I'm looking forward to hearing all about it, it sounds wonderful. Especially the Maldives bit

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Well done Jill - when I read last night that your children gave their blessing - I said to myself - Jill will book tomorrow.

I missed the Saudi port from the itinerary - that would have been a deal breaker for me.

Enjoy your SKI trip

Annie
    I'm not sure that I will even get off the ship in Saudi Arabia Annie but no doubt I will still need a visa. I will check nearer the time.

I am also getting mixed messages from FB telling me to use an agent for the Indian visa because it such a pain. I will probably have a go myself before I go down route though.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied

Well done Jill - when I read last night that your children gave their blessing - I said to myself - Jill will book tomorrow.

I missed the Saudi port from the itinerary - that would have been a deal breaker for me.

Enjoy your SKI trip

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
    Who is opening a book on the date we see a confirmed booking from Jill

LMM

Leave a comment:

• philhar, wallasey
    replied
    Hi Jill, such a long cruise wouldn't suit me either a shame that segments aren't on offer as you say.My parents never did a full world cruise but did segments and got some really good deals.Like others have said though if you fancy it go for it!

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
    Having just done 10 days then 93 would send me crackers so it's a no from the Garfield household.
    Good thing we're not all the same and I admire you to even think about going it alone for so long.
    As my old dad used to say...this is real life and not a practice run so go for it gal..

Garf
    Thanks Garf. I've had the thumbs up from my kids, so there's nothing to stop me now.

Leave a comment:

• Garfield, Waterlooville
    replied
    Having just done 10 days then 93 would send me crackers so it's a no from the Garfield household.
    Good thing we're not all the same and I admire you to even think about going it alone for so long.
    As my old dad used to say...this is real life and not a practice run so go for it gal..

Garf

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post

Like me, you prefer a more independent travel plan, with a cruise being only a part. We like to see some places in more depth than a cruise allows. However, I think we are in a minority on these boards, in that most people are happy with many one day port visits in interesting locations.

I think the important thing is to do what gives you the biggest 'bang for your buck' (to use an Americanism), which is different for each one of us.

Sheila
    One of the reasons I really want to do this cruise is the opportunity to revisit some of the ports of call and to get just get a taste of India, which was never really on my bucket list.

I also love life on board Fred ships so the whole experience appeals. I wouldn't want to fly anymore if I can help it.

Leave a comment:

• smtcan, Scarborough
    replied
    Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Such a long cruise wouldn't suit me either especially as I have lucky enough to have visited several ports before.

Approx £20,000 is a lot of money for very little time in India, which I have been fortunate to have visited, and Maldives which hold little interest.

I would set myself the challenge of where could I visit using the same budget even it required long haul business class flights - NZ and Japan would be top of the list - I know I am opportunity costing but we all evaluate cruises differently. You could probably cover India in depth within the same budget.

Good luck in deciding.

Annie
    Like me, you prefer a more independent travel plan, with a cruise being only a part. We like to see some places in more depth than a cruise allows. However, I think we are in a minority on these boards, in that most people are happy with many one day port visits in interesting locations.

I think the important thing is to do what gives you the biggest 'bang for your buck' (to use an Americanism), which is different for each one of us.

Sheila

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X