• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Big Decision and Life is Too Short

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Big Decision and Life is Too Short

I have been mulling over a decision regarding an itinerary that I REALLY want to do so would appreciate input from fellow cruisers.

The cruise is called 'The Intrepid Beauty of Africa and the Indian Ocean' and is for 93 days departing Southampton in November 2023.

I have covered a big part of itinerary before and loved every second of it. When I first saw the cruise posted on Fred's website, I wanted to book it there and then but thought better of it and decided to wait.

I will be travelling alone for the first time but that doesn't worry me very much. What I would really like to happen is for Fred to break the cruise into sectors, enabling me to miss the first part, which sails through the Med and the Suez, which I don't particularly want to do again. I do however want to do the rest of it because I have never visited India or The Maldives. I would also be more than happy to revisit all the other Indian Ocean ports of call and those in Africa again.

The problem is that Fred says they have no plans to divide up this cruise. When speaking to my agent. he thinks that it is very difficult for them to plan sectors with the uncertainty of all things Covid still out there.

The cruise is proving to be popular and lots of cabins have already sold. So do I book the full 93 days or risk missing the adventure of a lifetime?
    Last edited by Smith7; 6th May 2022, 09:58 PM.
    Jill

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
    I So do I book the full 93 days or risk missing the adventure of a lifetime?
    Jill, I think your language expresses what you preference is. You have already decided.

How could I argue with that? For example, how could I say "Jill, yes you should miss the adventure of a lifetime"
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Do it Jill, it sounds amazing, and you can always just relax and enjoy the ship on the first part of the cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
        Do it Jill, it sounds amazing, and you can always just relax and enjoy the ship on the first part of the cruise.
        Thanks Carol. It is a big decision and obviously a big expense. I will have to check out the insurance cost too of course.

My agent said that there is a chance that prices might drop much nearer the time. However at the moment, the cost of a an outside cabin with obstructed view for sole occupancy is working out cheaper than an inside single cabin or an inside twin for sole occupancy. If I leave it a few more months, that offer might not be available.

Jill

Comment

Thanks Carol. It is a big decision and obviously a big expense. I will have to check out the insurance cost too of course.

My agent said that there is a chance that prices might drop much nearer the time. However at the moment, the cost of a an outside cabin with obstructed view for sole occupancy is working out cheaper than an inside single cabin or an inside twin for sole occupancy. If I leave it a few more months, that offer might not be available.
          Good Morning Jill

This is one of the retired HAL vessels - nice size JMO.

If I may chime in, the HAL Obstructed View cabins on HAL had a bath instead of a shower. As I get older, I find the shower is more practical. Do you know what deck the obstructed OV was on?? I have sailed in one of those and the obstruction was minimal.

I know the insurance costs would snooker me.

Good luck.

Annie

Comment

Go for it, Jill! You never know what is around the corner so do everything you can, while you can!
            If the ports on the first section don't appeal, you can just enjoy being on board, and anticipate the
            exciting ports to come. There is a very wise saying that you more regret the things you didn't do,
            than those you did. And you seem to have a bargain price-wise, which may well be snapped oup
            if you procrastinate. Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Good Morning Jill

This is one of the retired HAL vessels - nice size JMO.

If I may chime in, the HAL Obstructed View cabins on HAL had a bath instead of a shower. As I get older, I find the shower is more practical. Do you know what deck the obstructed OV was on?? I have sailed in one of those and the obstruction was minimal.

I know the insurance costs would snooker me.

Good luck.

Annie
              Hi Annie. Yes, I've been on Bolette twice and going on her again next week. Apparently, Fred removed all the baths from standard cabins during the refit.

The obstructed view cabins are on deck 3. I'm not bothered about the view anyway because I would have opted for an inside cabin had it been cheaper.
              Jill

Comment

I am of the mind that if you really want to do this, you should. If there is a price offer on as well - even better. If the insurance is OK, then nothing should be stopping you. The outside cabins you speak about are a better option for a long cruise, than inside, on a cruise such as this and may have gone if you delay.

In order to decide on things such as this, the way I look at it is - if the cabins had all sold out, how would it make you feel? If the answer is disappointed and wishing you had booked, then that means you really want to go.

If you consider it a good price, then book it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gill Nickson, Albox View Post
                  Go for it, Jill! You never know what is around the corner so do everything you can, while you can!
                  If the ports on the first section don't appeal, you can just enjoy being on board, and anticipate the
                  exciting ports to come. There is a very wise saying that you more regret the things you didn't do,
                  than those you did. And you seem to have a bargain price-wise, which may well be snapped oup
                  if you procrastinate. Best of luck!
                  Thanks Gill.
                  Jill

Comment

Hi Annie. Yes, I've been on Bolette twice and going on her again next week. Apparently, Fred removed all the baths from standard cabins during the refit.

The obstructed view cabins are on deck 3. I'm not bothered about the view anyway because I would have opted for an inside cabin had it been cheaper.
                    Hi Jill

I have stayed on deck 3 a couple of times on her sister ships - I like that deck - it has the teak promenade.

Annie

Comment

Hi Jill

I have stayed on deck 3 a couple of times on her sister ships - I like that deck - it has the teak promenade.

Annie
                      Yes, my friend and I were on deck 3 on the Christmas/New Year cruise. We had a sliding door on to the deck and had our own reserved sun loungers.
                      Jill

Comment

Go for it! I won't do anything too long at the moment, because I share my home with a cat. It would add too much to the cost of the cruise to board her.
                        2018-
                        Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                        NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                        Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                        Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                        Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Yes, my friend and I were on deck 3 on the Christmas/New Year cruise. We had a sliding door on to the deck and had our own reserved sun loungers.
                          HAL called them Lanai cabins - the top grade of their OV category. I never sailed in one of those.

Annie

Comment

HAL called them Lanai cabins - the top grade of their OV category. I never sailed in one of those.

Annie
                            Fred call them terrace balconies, which is an odd name. I've just had a quote for the insurance which only amounts to £249 extra. Our travel insurance is with our bank.

I am so relieved that the insurance is not the deal breaker.
                            Jill

Comment

Nice itinerary.

probably unique to cover what it does a one off in the 2 year window..

there are the odd cruise that does bits can't see anything close.

Go for it.

at £210pn that is quite expensive (before the drinks bill)
                              i see inside at 18,700 the OV is 19,500

With a 3k deposit it would need a healthy price drop or a solo deal to pop up to consider rebooking.

FOC312638AfricaIndianOceansMapsT23301222x474pxmin.jpg

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X