• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruise Lottery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise Lottery

Hi Everyone,

Hope you have all had a lovely Xmas, how ever you chose to spend it.

My little cruise was cancelled on the day we were due to sail, very upsetting at the time, but these things happen, All monies paid out have been paid back, and a few days spent with the grandchildren, so all was well.

Then I read about someone on a cruise with her 2 children, tested positive for covid and has been off loaded to quarantine in a hotel in Tenerife. This is a picture of her Xmas day dinner.

They say there is always someone worse off than yourself! (The lady said the food has now improved)

But then I read of people who have gone on their cruise, had a fantastic time, and had no problems at all. So is it a gamble you want to take at the moment? ..........................................Carol

Cruising is a lottery at the moment. See below the list of ships that have positive cases. I believe there’s 86

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruis...or-status.html

Comment

What is surprising to me is how little prepared some are.

Of loading to quarantine prison in a foreign country seems to be a big surprise to most that it is happening to and many it's not.

They are posting on FB groups where this has been in discussion for quite a few weeks now since international ops started back in Sept.

I think I mentioned that omicron was a game changer for us as early indications were it spreads very easily.

This increases the risk of becoming a positive, as as much as you can be safe on the ship avoiding people your travel is much less certain.
      You may turn up to a busy airport or full flight.
      Another change is the return test and more testing on the ship.

its watch this space for more data,

My 2022 search for trips is starting, I will probably put more UK only on the short list, for now you are allowed to try to get home rather than get locked up.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
        Cruising is a lottery at the moment. See below the list of ships that have positive cases. I believe there’s 86

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruis...or-status.html
        That's just USA Europe are keeping a lid on the numbers and some ships operating the Caribbean are not covered by CDC.

what is interesting CDC VSP reports only one gastro event in 2021 that hit the trigger of 3% (ok a few days left and surprise none in 2020)
        Cruise Line: Viking Cruises
        Cruise Ship: Viking Sea
        Voyage Dates: November 29–December 13, 2021
        Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 114 of 640 (17.8%)
        Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 4 of 404 (1.0%)

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
          Hi Everyone,

Hope you have all had a lovely Xmas, how ever you chose to spend it.

My little cruise was cancelled on the day we were due to sail, very upsetting at the time, but these things happen, All monies paid out have been paid back, and a few days spent with the grandchildren, so all was well.

Then I read about someone on a cruise with her 2 children, tested positive for covid and has been off loaded to quarantine in a hotel in Tenerife. This is a picture of her Xmas day dinner.

They say there is always someone worse off than yourself! (The lady said the food has now improved)

But then I read of people who have gone on their cruise, had a fantastic time, and had no problems at all. So is it a gamble you want to take at the moment? ..........................................Carol
          The answer to that is surely how desperate are you to cruise for leisure reasons during a pandemic??

Annie

Comment

To be fair to some of the passengers, they have rung P&O to ask what happens if they test positive while on board and have been told they will be quarantined on the ship. There has been no mention of Spain insisting they are off loaded into a hotel.

On a separate note, I'm amazed at the amount of people who don't know what paperwork or tests they need to enter any of the Countries they are travelling too. ...........................................Carol

Comment

To be fair to some of the passengers, they have rung P&O to ask what happens if they test positive while on board and have been told they will be quarantined on the ship. There has been no mention of Spain insisting they are off loaded into a hotel.

On a separate note, I'm amazed at the amount of people who don't know what paperwork or tests they need to enter any of the Countries they are travelling too. ...........................................Carol
              When will people wake up ?? P&O has no control over a country's quarantine protocols If P&O did indeed give out that information, at best they are economical with the truth or just plain incompetent.

Annie
              Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 29th December 2021, 09:42 PM.

Comment

I would dearly love some winter sun like a lot of people. However until Omicron has settled down I am not prepared to risk going abroad at all. Not because I am scared of being unwell. It’s the thought of testing positive and having to quarantine. I think it’s going to be a week in Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 In mid January and a lot of walking for us. On the plus side we can take the dog and no flying. Our first cruise is middle of May I am hoping things will be back to normal by then . 😀

Comment

To be fair . . .

It is a fast moving situation. The requirements to re-enter the U.K. on our “cruise from hell” on Iona changed twice whilst we were away. No one expected that when we left Southampton.

Comment

Can't believe people still believe anything a cruise line tell you.

Quarantine on the ship until.........

It's not just spain..........

Comment

It is not a chance I am prepared to take at the moment. Much as I would like a holiday I don’t think this is the right time when conditions are changing so quickly. Who could have anticipated the effect of Omicron a month or so ago. I would prefer to stay close to home rather than book a cruise or land vacation only to have it cancelled, or worse substantially changed, from what I anticipated. Holidays can wait for the time being.

Sheila

Comment

Hi all
                        Hopefully those quarantined in Tenerife will be able to come home tomorrow as Spain has now dropped its quarantine time from 10 days to 7 days.
                        Hope they have Negative tests.

JC
                        C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                        "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Flintshirelady, Rhyl View Post
                          I would dearly love some winter sun like a lot of people. However until Omicron has settled down I am not prepared to risk going abroad at all. Not because I am scared of being unwell. It’s the thought of testing positive and having to quarantine. I think it’s going to be a week in Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 In mid January and a lot of walking for us. On the plus side we can take the dog and no flying. Our first cruise is middle of May I am hoping things will be back to normal by then . 😀
                          All I can say is we are having a fabulous time in the Spanish sunshine. We consider we have made the right decision to come. England is so dreary in the winter and we are fed up of the same routine every day. We have our tests for coming home tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a negative result.

Comment

I've only sailed on UK cruises so far, with no real problems. It was a nuisance when the rules changed on morning that we docked back in Southampton, but at least that was nothing that couldn't be sorted reasonably easily.

My first long haul booking is in March, so who knows what things will be like by then.
                            2018-
                            Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                            NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                            Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                            Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                            Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post
                              It is not a chance I am prepared to take at the moment. Much as I would like a holiday I don’t think this is the right time when conditions are changing so quickly. Who could have anticipated the effect of Omicron a month or so ago. I would prefer to stay close to home rather than book a cruise or land vacation only to have it cancelled, or worse substantially changed, from what I anticipated. Holidays can wait for the time being.

Sheila
                              Trouble is how long is the time being. We could all be dead by the time this thing is over.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X