• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Change of regulations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change of regulations

I was on the 23 November sailing out of Southampton on Magnifica.

We heard about the changes requiring a PCR rather than LFT on return on Sunday, but waited for confirmation. I waited until Tuesday morning to use my mobile data when we arrived at Southampton, and luckily I had an email from Eurofins informing me that all tests would be upgraded at no extra charge Immigration officers were on board, and thankfully accepted that email as proof that I had a PCR test booked. Others had booked postal tests, so had to purchase another test.

It seems like the testing companies are very busy because of the changes. I went out for my test Wednesday morning, and have stayed in while waiting for the result. My sample arrived at the lab at around 1.30am this morning. I keep checking my emails as I have a matinee theatre ticket for this afternoon. I suppose I was being over-optimistic when I booked, and I was fully aware that the situation could change.

Fingers crossed that the result is negative, and arrives in time for me to get to Chichester.
    Last edited by Yogini, Waterlooville; 3rd December 2021, 10:45 AM. Reason: error rectified
    2018-
    Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
    NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
    Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
    Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
    Magellan - Panama Canal

Best of luck, Yogini!

Comment

Originally posted by Yogini, Waterlooville View Post
      I was on the 23 November sailing out of Southampton on Magnifica.

We heard about the changes requiring a PCR rather than LFT on return on Sunday, but waited for confirmation. I waited until Monday morning to use my mobile data when we arrived at Southampton, and luckily I had an email from Eurofins informing me that all tests would be upgraded at no extra charge Immigration officers were on board, and thankfully accepted that email as proof that I had a PCR test booked. Others had booked postal tests, so had to purchase another test.

It seems like the testing companies are very busy because of the changes. I went out for my test Wednesday morning, and have stayed in while waiting for the result. My sample arrived at the lab at around 1.30am this morning. I keep checking my emails as I have a matinee theatre ticket for this afternoon. I suppose I was being over-optimistic when I booked, and I was fully aware that the situation could change.

Fingers crossed that the result is negative, and arrives in time for me to get to Chichester.
      Curious, Immigration would appear to be more strict at Southampton than at the airports.

Fingers crossed for you

Annie

Comment

Had my LFT cancelled, booked the new ones while in port with testing for all.

Would have done LHR drive in but they close too early.

Can put up with staying at home for a few days, been away for 2 weeks while some are still hiding at home over 18 months.

Good customer service from eurofins upgrading for free they are the ones the cruise line I am on use.

I thought the change applied from 4am Tues morning not Monday

Comment

I'm just wondering what happens if you have previously had Covid, as it can show positive for 90 days, you could return home, and be stuck there for weeks, while it gets out of your system!! .................................................. ....Carol

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
            I'm just wondering what happens if you have previously had Covid, as it can show positive for 90 days, you could return home, and be stuck there for weeks, while it gets out of your system!! .................................................. ....Carol
            Senior moment on my part Carol, if a passenger still had remnants of Covid in their system would they have been permitted to board the ship?

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Senior moment on my part Carol, if a passenger still had remnants of Covid in their system would they have been permitted to board the ship?

Annie
              Apparently Covid can show up if you have had it in the past with a PCR test, but it doesn't show in a lateral flow test ......................................Carol

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post

Apparently Covid can show up if you have had it in the past with a PCR test, but it doesn't show in a lateral flow test ......................................Carol
                Thanks Carol - why use LFTs then?

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Thanks Carol - why use LFTs then?

Annie
                  As you know Annie LFT’s are only 40% accurate but I’m guessing doing them is better than doing nothing and they’re cheaper than PCR tests by the time you take in staff and lab costs.
                  don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post

As you know Annie LFT’s are only 40% accurate but I’m guessing doing them is better than doing nothing and they’re cheaper than PCR tests by the time you take in staff and lab costs.
                    So some cruise lines use the cheaper and less accurate tests to allow you to board a cruise ship ? Makes a lot of sense - not - JMO.

These testing protocols are all over the place and the sooner they are standardised to PCR the better.

Annie

Comment

Depends which bit of research you want to go with.

https://pharmaceutical-journal.com/a...covid-19-tests

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sk...-find-12433421

LFT have the advantage of being near real time which makes them quite effective at weeding out people where catching asymptomatic is important.

Anyone with symptoms should be isolating and getting PCR.

For those that have had covid there is the recovery passport that ioption buts NOT accepted for all forms of travel.

Comment

Can anybody please recommend a day 2 testing place to go ,I have been told Wren and Randox are ok .Anyone used them ?Any recommended places near Manchester or Southampton please

Comment

Originally posted by gloandgeoff, Manchester View Post
                          Can anybody please recommend a day 2 testing place to go ,I have been told Wren and Randox are ok .Anyone used them ?Any recommended places near Manchester or Southampton please
                          We used Nationwide pathology for our day 2 PCR test for several reasons, 1) great reviews on test pilot, 2) delivery a few days after buying. 3) we could just use a priority post office box, 4) next day results by test and email after posting them back. They cost £40pp.
                          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by gloandgeoff, Manchester View Post
                            Hi
                            Which side of Manchester are you on?
                            I used Eurofins drive through at Birchwood in between Warrington and Manchester,,,,,just off the M62,,,,it was £20 for a PCR test.
                            JC
                            C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                            "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

No problem with Eurofinns ,only problem is that they have some very poor reviews on trust pilot

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X