• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ballroom Dancing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballroom Dancing

Hi all
    On my Ventura cruise a couple of weeks ago they had Ballroom dancing in the Atrium every day,,the dance hosts held dance classes in the afternoon then dancing in two spots in the evening.

I can shuffle about or enjoy a Jive but Ballroom dancing is beyond me,,,although we had dancing lessons in school they went straight over my head,,,,,I was more into the biff bosh of outdoor sports.

Now every night after dinner my wife and me would grab a seat in the Atrium order a Macchiato from the Costa plus a large Irish and watch the dancers,,,some were novice some were very good some were really intense,,the last ones brought their dancing shoes.

One really good couple in their 80’s took no prisoners,,,god help a non dancer who inadvertently walked across the dance floor during a dance,,,usually a young person.

They had an early session at 8:15 - 9:00 and a longer session at 9:15-11:30.

My wife and I now regret not taking dance lessons 40 yrs ago when we were thinking of it.

Are any members good dancers,do you partake in the ballroom dancing on the ship.
    It amazes me how people remember the moves of so many dances.

JC
    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

I love dancing, any kind of dancing, and would go to the dance classes onboard but hubby doesn’t dance. 🙁 my daddy was a lovely ballroom dancer.

I did go to one line dance class when I was onboard in Oct but the girl didn’t know the dances as she had to keep looking at her wee bit of paper. She didn’t know her four count from her shimmy, her stroll from her grapevine. There were a few other line dancers in the crowd who were not happy either. Needless to say I didn’t go back.
    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

My late husband and I learned to dance at the renowned Frank and Peggy Spencer’s Dance School at the Royston Ballroom in Penge south London. Latin and ballroom classes twice a week, followed by the Saturday night dance with a live band. All our group of friends learned to ballroom dance and we spent our weekends dancing at one of the many ballrooms in the London area. We loved it!

As a solo cruise passenger, I have many happy memories of being whisked around the dance floor by one of the male dance hosts on board Cunard and Fred Olsen. The Queen’s ballroom on Cunard is the largest ballroom at sea.

After having three joint replacements, I fear my ballroom dancing is a thing of the past. Far too conscious of falling on the dance floor and making a total fool of myself.

I now love watching other couples dancing while watching from the sidelines.

Comment

I went to ballroom dancing lessons when I was a teenager. I love all forms of dance and yet I married someone who couldn't dance, apart from a jig to some pop music.
        I now have a partner who can't /won't dance.

I do however enjoy dancing with a dance host on a cruise with Fred.

I'm obviously a big fan of Strictly.
        Jill

Comment

I am definitely not an accomplished ballroom dancer, but one of the more unusual events of my teaching career involved teaching ballroom dancing with a nun. My school had reduced numbers, so as last in I was reassigned to a boys' Catholic school. I taught maths and was the only female on the staff. The neighbouring girls' school wanted dance lessons, so I 'volunteered'. It was that or football. I was assured that the teacher from the girls' school could do most of the instruction. I was very surprised to meet Sister Madeline in the gym. Luckily (and surprisingly) she was an excellent dancer, so all I really had to do was crowd control.

Sheila

Comment

Love the story Sheila 😀

Comment

When we were first married 38 years ago we went to dance classes above a pub in Altrincham. Our teacher would spend about 20 minutes on each dance before we had a break for refreshments. The. It would be a recap followed by sequence dancing. Needless to say we never became truly confident or competent in any of these dances. It didn’t help that my hubby also known as “Billy Banter” at work larked about all the time. The parents of some of our friends were wonderful ballroom dancers. At a celebration I saw them glide around the dance floor even though Mrs C was crippled with arthritis when walking. Somehow dancing transported her back in time! When it was time for a quickstep Mr C took me out on the dance floor and led me through it effortlessly. It was wonderful fun, just wish we could learn properly one of these days before my arthritis gets too bad.

Take care. Helen💃🕺

Comment

Many, many years ago in my teens I use to go with a few friends (male & female)) to ballroom dancing lessons, the girl I partnered lead me around the floor rather than the other way round, however I never kept it up, wish I had..

My wife and I did go to ballroom lessons prior to our first cruise especially so we could dance whilst on board, however my wife found her ankles could not take the strain, she was at the early stages of arthritis in her ankles.

We did win a twist competition at a holiday camp on our first holiday away together before we were married and I have since been known to throw a few shapes together but to more popular music, not ballroom. .
                Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

I love to watch, can probably just about do a waltz, but wish I had learned properly. OH and I have tried the classes on board a couple of times, but we are hopeless, and just end up laughing ............................Carol

Comment

I was young in the fifties , there was lots of dance halls then . I was happy to dance every night , Most of my generation met their partners at the dance , Have danced at Barrowland in Glasgow and Tower Ballroom in Blackpool . Until a couple of years ago we were at our local club sequence dancing every Saturday night .Covid of course put an end to that ,
                    We did once win a jive competition at a holiday camp years ago .
                    Love the ballrooms on Cunard ships but sadly our cruising days are now over , Love Strictly ,

Comment

We are not dancers.

We went to one ballroom class on QM2 thinking that as we would be on board for 4 months we might get the hang of it sufficiently to shuffle round the floor now and then. It was a waltz class, the first of a series covering different dances. As I said, we went to one, end of.

There were beginners like us, at whom the class was aimed, but the Queens Room, the largest ballroom at sea, was packed. It was obvious that some there were experienced dancers who had turned up to get some practice and tips from the professionals.
                      That evening in conversation with our table companions the class was mentioned. One couple were keen dancers and always excused themselves when food was finished to get to the QR. It turned out that they had also been to the waltz class for beginners although they took ballroom lessons at home and danced regularly. The lady said clearly rather disgusted, did you see all those women in trainers. Yes I said, thats what I wore. Her husband joined in, oh how could you possibly dance in those, you cant do it properly, and more. It was explained that you couldnt get the right bounce, rise and fall and whatnot. I am sure that they were right, but we decided that maybe we were happy to continue to sit and watch.

Comment

I could give John Sargent a run for his money.........Just!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Wilba
                        Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by mags, cardiff View Post
                          We are not dancers.

We went to one ballroom class on QM2 thinking that as we would be on board for 4 months we might get the hang of it sufficiently to shuffle round the floor now and then. It was a waltz class, the first of a series covering different dances. As I said, we went to one, end of.

There were beginners like us, at whom the class was aimed, but the Queens Room, the largest ballroom at sea, was packed. It was obvious that some there were experienced dancers who had turned up to get some practice and tips from the professionals.
                          That evening in conversation with our table companions the class was mentioned. One couple were keen dancers and always excused themselves when food was finished to get to the QR. It turned out that they had also been to the waltz class for beginners although they took ballroom lessons at home and danced regularly. The lady said clearly rather disgusted, did you see all those women in trainers. Yes I said, thats what I wore. Her husband joined in, oh how could you possibly dance in those, you cant do it properly, and more. It was explained that you couldnt get the right bounce, rise and fall and whatnot. I am sure that they were right, but we decided that maybe we were happy to continue to sit and watch.
                          We don't go to the lessons unless it is a dance we do t know. When we're were learning g it was annoying g to see the classes full of those who obviously could ready dance.

We are pleased our local dances have resumed post covid. We have been to 3 this week. We enjoy the monthly tea dance at Bridlington Spa. Scones and cream at half time!

Comment

When I was 15 my close friends were into ballroom dancing. I was coerced into taking part and competing at a junior level. It scarred me for life.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                            X