• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gifts for the crew

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
    I remember all the Christmas and end of year gifts I've received over my teaching career, many of which went to the hospice tombola at best and in the bin at worst. The tiny grand piano ash tray was a treasure to behold, doubly so as I don't smoke!

If you're going to gift anything on top of the service charges to the crew, make it be 100% useful, and for them, that means hard cash.
    Or whisky. 110% useful. .

Comment

Cash, over and above auto or included gratuities always seems the most appropriate to us. In addition to gifts to cabin stewards and wait staff, I get some dollar bills from customer service for the women who keep the ladies' rooms so fresh and clean on our Celebrity cruises. That always seems like one of the worst jobs on a ship.

Sheila

Comment

Cruise a lot and you will see "these are my kids" from multiple crew members the cute pics get passed around.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
          That's presuming staff members involved drink alcohol and like whisky.

Comment

I remember all the Christmas and end of year gifts I've received over my teaching career, many of which went to the hospice tombola at best and in the bin at worst. The tiny grand piano ash tray was a treasure to behold, doubly so as I don't smoke!

If you're going to gift anything on top of the service charges to the crew, make it be 100% useful, and for them, that means hard cash.
            A friend of mine is a teaching assistant at a private school, and the parents always club together to buy her vouchers, and then all give a little gift too. She does incredibly well, at both Xmas and the end of year!! .................................................. .........Carol

Comment

Most of the gifts I received while nursing were chocolates, biscuits and cake this is the reason I started nursing as a size 8 and ended as a size………well a few sizes bigger!

In my last post we received so many boxes of chocolates and tins of biscuits we used to give them to the security guard, other patients who lived alone and the blood uplift guy.
              don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post

A friend of mine is a teaching assistant at a private school, and the parents always club together to buy her vouchers, and then all give a little gift too. She does incredibly well, at both Xmas and the end of year!! .................................................. .........Carol
                Yes, that happened to me when I did a stint in a private school. I have been given very expensive presents in the past, a gold bangle springs to mind but I know the parent would just have picked it up from their shop with no particular thought behind it. I gave it to the hospice tombola.

I think the tradition of giving teachers presents is a shame in a way as it puts those who can't afford much, in a difficult position. I still have a hand made card given to me by the family of a child who I like to think, I made a difference for.

They were an asylum family from Iran and they literally had not a penny to spare. That card meant so much to me, far more than any actual gift. I also have a card given which was made up of a photo of myself and the child which must have been taken on a school trip as I don't recall it being taken. The sentiments inside were wonderful.
                As a teacher, it was nice to be given gifts especially those with thought behind them but it's so much nicer to be appreciated with something personal that cost a bit of time but no money as such.

Comment

This ass-u-mes the whisky will not be confiscated on embarkation.

How many bottles would you plan to give?

Dollar bills are far easier to pack

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

This ass-u-mes the whisky will not be confiscated on embarkation.

How many bottles would you plan to give?

Dollar bills are far easier to pack

Annie
                    You ass-u-me the bottle was brought onboard. It might have been purchased/ won or given onboard. I say that as any of our left over onboard sourced bottles are given to crew.

Comment

Yes, that happened to me when I did a stint in a private school. I have been given very expensive presents in the past, a gold bangle springs to mind but I know the parent would just have picked it up from their shop with no particular thought behind it. I gave it to the hospice tombola.

I think the tradition of giving teachers presents is a shame in a way as it puts those who can't afford much, in a difficult position. I still have a hand made card given to me by the family of a child who I like to think, I made a difference for.

They were an asylum family from Iran and they literally had not a penny to spare. That card meant so much to me, far more than any actual gift. I also have a card given which was made up of a photo of myself and the child which must have been taken on a school trip as I don't recall it being taken. The sentiments inside were wonderful.
                      As a teacher, it was nice to be given gifts especially those with thought behind them but it's so much nicer to be appreciated with something personal that cost a bit of time but no money as such.
                      You were lucky Mrs M! My husband taught in various, shall we say socio-economically and intellectually challenged secondary schools here and in the surrounding area for over 30 years. In all that time he only had one gift, not that he was complaining. A yuck pair of nylon socks but I have no doubt that it expressed the donors gratitude.

Comment

We took goodie bags of chocolates and sweet things on a Christmas cruise for waiters and room stewards and one memeber of staff whom we had come to know well. They seem to have been well received.
                        The only other time I have bought for staff was for a brilliant room steward who served us well on a long cruise. She happened to say that she liked to get commemorative crested spoons from ports. In one place she was disappointed not to be able to get ashore and was thrilled when we gave her a spoon for her collection.

Comment

Originally posted by mags, cardiff View Post

You were lucky Mrs M! My husband taught in various, shall we say socio-economically and intellectually challenged secondary schools here and in the surrounding area for over 30 years. In all that time he only had one gift, not that he was complaining. A yuck pair of nylon socks but I have no doubt that it expressed the donors gratitude.
                          I think the teacher gift custom is more Primary school than Secondary. I have taught international school and English prep to inner city 'sink' and the mementos I cherished were hand made cards.

Comment

No gifts accept phone cards, even if tips are included I give a brown envelope to those who have looked after me, the new Ambassadore cruise line literature says they add £6pppd which I feel is a tax subsidising their wages bill as this is split among all of the crew so I suppose the captain gets a good slice and the laundry boy an extra tenner :-(

Comment

That's presuming staff members involved drink alcohol and like whisky.
                              I guess you haven’t seen the crew guys in the duty free shop in the cruise terminal in Gibraltar.

Comment

I guess you haven’t seen the crew guys in the duty free shop in the cruise terminal in Gibraltar.
                                No I haven't. I know though for instance, at least two staff members we show our appreciation to, don't drink alcohol.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X