• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gifts for the crew

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gifts for the crew

Hi Everyone

According to a lot of posts on the P&O Facebook page a fair few passengers are taking gifts on for the crew.

P&O now include tips in their fares, but I would think the crew would still rather money than a gift! Would you take a gift? What would you give? .................................................. ...Carol

Hi Carol

We've taken little gifts for our stewards before, a selection box at Christmas or some local sweet treats which seemed to go down well. Mind you, that's only when we sail from.Southampton.
    BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

Simple answer from me is no to giving staff a gift.
      don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Give them the bottles we win in quizzes, etc. Think they take them down for the crew parties

Comment

No gifts, but cash tip on top of the ordinary gratuity.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post
            Give them the bottles we win in quizzes, etc. Think they take them down for the crew parties
            I think you'll find the crew parties are a thing of the past. There's a strict 2 drink limit now on both Cunard and P&O.

Comment

I remember all the Christmas and end of year gifts I've received over my teaching career, many of which went to the hospice tombola at best and in the bin at worst. The tiny grand piano ash tray was a treasure to behold, doubly so as I don't smoke!

If you're going to gift anything on top of the service charges to the crew, make it be 100% useful, and for them, that means hard cash.

Comment

No we have never taken gifts on board either. I agree the only gift the crew want is hard cash. That’s the only reason they are doing the job in the first place to save money and fund a better life in their homelands 🚢

Comment

At the moment the crew can't leave the ships. I have bought some sweet treats, and will get some more in the morning. A friend always takes sweets, and the crew seem to love them.
                  2018-
                  Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                  NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                  Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                  Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                  Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Originally posted by Yogini, Waterlooville View Post
                    At the moment the crew can't leave the ships. I have bought some sweet treats, and will get some more in the morning. A friend always takes sweets, and the crew seem to love them.
                    To be fair, I would like sweets too .................................................. .........Carol

Comment

On Caribbean itineraries we tend to take a few packs of shortbread, primarily for our cabin attendant. I always follow it up by stating the cash tip will follow too. Don’t want them panicking 🤣

Comment

I always take lots of bars of chocolate and just give them to............. the person who cleans the toilets, the stairs and anywhere else.. While chatting to one of our waiters he mentioned that toothpaste was always good but i would feel a bit iffy about giving stuff like that in case they worried then about their own personal hygiene, so I stick with chocolate and always a big box for our cabin steward ( obvs with tips too)

Comment

Trouble with giving gifts [as well as grats on top of the service charge] is where do you stop?

The only actual gift we've ever given whilst on holiday was a football strip for one of the members of staff we saw every trip and whose baby son we have seen, through photographs, grow up over the years. Both my husband and the member of staff and his son are avid football fans and we were in a position to source some rather good football memorabilia of their favourite team.

I have no interest in football but it's definitely a subject which overcomes cultural and language barriers so I have to concede it has some merits.

Comment

When I’m going on shore I usually ask do they want any brought back.
                            one steward asked for toothpaste and another chips and another a souvenir, fridge magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post

To be fair, I would like sweets too .................................................. .........Carol
                              I have eaten some of the honeycomb kit kats though ...
                              2018-
                              Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                              NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                              Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                              Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                              Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you