• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Venice finally does it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venice finally does it.

Hi all
    Venice finally does it,,,,from August 1st all cruise ships over 25,000t will not be allowed to sail the Giudecca Canal and dock in Venice.
    Bound to happen,,,massive cruise ships are destroying the place.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...MNc4XJfh7FGDi8

JC
    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

I wonder who will replace the hundreds of millions of Euros this will cost them.

Garf

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
      I wonder who will replace the hundreds of millions of Euros this will cost them.

Garf
      Hi Garf
      The passengers will still go into Venice,just from a new purpose built port across the bridge,,,about 10 min on a shuttle bus.

Ive read cruise ship passengers spend very little in Venice.The times I’ve been I’ve spent 1 euro on a espresso in a back street cafe.
      The government say they will compensate the port workers.

JC

Comment

It's good news for the city of Venice- something had to give.
        Jill

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
          Hi Garf
          The passengers will still go into Venice,just from a new purpose built port across the bridge,,,about 10 min on a shuttle bus.
          That does not solve the problem of far too many people on the streets at peak holiday times!
          See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

I've always thought that Venice is a beautiful city, but a lousy cruise port.

We've done the big attractions on some hot, hectic, clock-watching and crowded cruise day outs. The last time we docked there we stuck to exploring back streets, churches and museums well away from the worst of the crowds.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post

That does not solve the problem of far too many people on the streets at peak holiday times!
              The small city was not designed for the benefit of the tourist. There is a solution if you find it too busy .........

I looked at the Webcams this morning - pedestrian volume OK.

I can't wait to return but quarantine regs apply.

Annie

Comment

The proposal I saw some time ago was to ban ships over 40k tonnes. We have an Azamara out of Venice in mind at some point and their R class ships weigh in at around 30k tonnes so it looks like they are toast as well. But I'm not against the ban. Venice is both unique and fragile so preservation comes first.

Comment

I am someone who spends money in Venice as a cruise passenger, as I always fly out two or three days earlier, spending in hotels, bars and restaurants prior to boarding.

Venice appeals to me as a ‘walking city’, so at the end of my stay I can wheel my suitcase to the People Mover, pay €1.50 to get to the dockside and get the feeling I have walked from hotel to ship in a matter of minutes.

The ‘Sail In and Sail Out’ along the canal has as always been a major part of Venice’s attraction for many cruise passengers, so the change to an industrial dock, must surely have a negative effect on the romanticism of what Venice is all about.

I just wonder how long this new ruling will be in place before yet another change of heart by the powers that be………..Wilba

Wilba

Comment

Hi Wilba
                    I think once they have spent the money on the new cruise terminal at Marghera and start using it,,,there will be no turning back.

JC

Comment

It was only a matter of time when the cruise companies started ordering their big ships. The big ships in my opinion are doing the same to the Caribbean and it is only a matter of time before the same happens there and other destinations. The last time we visited St Martin there were 5 ships in port and it was ridiculous well over crowded. We are so glad we saw the Caribbean years ago when it was a pleasure to be there and Venice of course.

Comment

It’s ironic, but generally when they show a view of a huge cruise ship passing by (as if it’s at the end of the street) it’s an Italian vessel!

I shall now appreciate even more the couple of cruises from the UK that included Venice and that wonderful sail in and out of the city.....even when it’s raining!

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                          Hi Wilba
                          I think once they have spent the money on the new cruise terminal at Marghera and start using it,,,there will be no turning back.

JC

Is this a hammer to crack a nut approach?

I have boarded in Venice with 8 cruise ships in dock. That’s a possibility of 16 movements, 8 in, 8 out in a 24 hour period. At peak times that could be taking place every day of the week.

I agree on banning the floating theme parks totally, but why not just dramatically reduce the amount of movements in any one day for ‘normal’ sized ships?..............Wilba
                          Wilba

Comment

I've been lucky enough to have enjoyed 3 cruises that ended in Venice with a 3 or 4 day stay, and loved getting around on the vaporettos and being able to visit the sights 'off peak', where possible.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

The small city was not designed for the benefit of the tourist. There is a solution if you find it too busy .........
                              Not me! I believe the locals find it too busy, day after day, in the holiday season.
                              Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 14th July 2021, 07:38 PM.
                              See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X