• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the Excitement Return

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the Excitement Return

Hi Everyone

Part of booking a cruise is the excitement I get into the lead up to going. Looking up all the ports and seeing where I want to go, or whether I'd rather do an organised excursion.
    I love all the shopping for new clothes etc.

I'm just wondering if this will ever return. I have 3 cruises booked, one for the end of this year, which has already had a ship change, one for Feb next year, which I have no idea whether that will be going, and one for the end of next year, so hopefully that one will be ok.

I wish I hadn't booked them, but hey ho, it's done, I can summon no enthusiasm, can't even be bothered to look at the personaliser and fill all my details in

Even a little trip to Brighton was cancelled because they extended the freedom day, and we had to many going to share the house and taxi!!

So have you stopped booking until you can be certain you can go? Or are you booking if you see a good deal, and hoping for the best? ........................................Carol

I got 2 cruises booked, 1 for nov and 1 for xmas&NY, but like you, cant be bothered to do my personaliser, in fact I havent even got insurance yet!!! Will have to look at that tomorrow, just dreading trying to get covid cover as it seems mandatory this year, has anybody had any problem ( or joy ) getting full insurance? Not opened my cruise wardrobe for 18 months!!! just hope the moths aint got there before me!

Comment

Never been keen on early booking, done it to make sure we can go with people that don't have our flexibility (even when working).

​​​​​​The issue with booking anything speculative is no matter how good the deal you have at time the of booking that deal may not be so good when you have to move it.

Just wait there is no rush to be booking anything.

Comment

Originally posted by ev'n'clive, HENGOED View Post
        I got 2 cruises booked, 1 for nov and 1 for xmas&NY, but like you, cant be bothered to do my personaliser, in fact I havent even got insurance yet!!! Will have to look at that tomorrow, just dreading trying to get covid cover as it seems mandatory this year, has anybody had any problem ( or joy ) getting full insurance? Not opened my cruise wardrobe for 18 months!!! just hope the moths aint got there before me!
        I spoke to my insurers recently. They will only give Covid cover for travel to "green" countries.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post

I spoke to my insurers recently. They will only give Covid cover for travel to "green" countries.
          thank you peter x I look forward to trawling the ins. companies tomorrow x

Comment

I wanted to book a cottage for 2 weeks in England, but the company I was booking with wanted £60 insurance on top of the cost of the cottage to cover just if we had to cancel which was very high. I therefore decided not to book and will probably look a few days before we are due to go. That way cancellation cover will not be needed and I will save myself £60 and know that we can either go, or not, if we have been put down in another lockdown leading up to winter.

Comment

We had 3 holidays booked. Kos was cancelled by Tui so we replaced it with Jersey which we really enjoyed last week. Next was supposed to be Cornwall, staying in St Ives with a trip to Scilly Isles. Reluctantly we have cancelled. After reading about all the hotel and restaurant closures in St Ives after the G7 we really didn't fancy going.
              we still have Virgin Scarket lady booked for August. Fingers crossed we go.
              Still wanting to go to Kos but I can't see it happening.
              Not sure if we will be booking anything else any time soon.
              Not even thinking about our world cruise in 2023. Can't really look forward to it as everything is so unpredictable

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post
                I wanted to book a cottage for 2 weeks in England, but the company I was booking with wanted £60 insurance on top of the cost of the cottage to cover just if we had to cancel which was very high. I therefore decided not to book and will probably look a few days before we are due to go. That way cancellation cover will not be needed and I will save myself £60 and know that we can either go, or not, if we have been put down in another lockdown leading up to winter.
                That sounds very heavy Lucy. I havent come across that.

We booked a cottage in England last year, one in Wales and another in England this year, all through companies (2 different ones). We were never asked to pay extra insurance.

Certainly not all companies do this. Perhaps try another one?

Comment

Carol Part of booking a cruise is the excitement I get into the lead up to going. Looking up all the ports and seeing where I want to go, or whether I'd rather do an organised excursion.
                  I love all the shopping for new clothes etc.

I'm just wondering if this will ever return. I have 3 cruises booked, one for the end of this year, which has already had a ship change, one for Feb next year, which I have no idea whether that will be going, and one for the end of next year, so hopefully that one will be ok.

I wish I hadn't booked them, but hey ho, it's done, I can summon no enthusiasm, can't even be bothered to look at the personaliser and fill all my details in

You have summed up my feelings entirely. We have had 4 cruises cancelled and have 2 to go, in 22 and 23.
                  sually I would be doing lots of research. Having had others cancelled and it is all looking so unpredictable even now, I just cant be bothered to plan or get enthused.

Comment

Originally posted by ev'n'clive, HENGOED View Post
                    Try Staysure when you make your enquiries. That's who we are using.

​​​

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post
                      We recently used cottages.com. They offer refunds or date changes if you can't travel because you have Covid or have to self-isolate etc or if national or local restrictions mean you cannot travel. No extra charge for that.

If you want single trip insurance for a UK break to cover other scenarios, maybe try Compare the Market. It usually returns some very reasonable quotes and has the bonus of a year's worth of two-for-one cinema tickets (once per week) and two-for-one meals at participating restaurants. No minimum spend to get that perk.

​​​​​​​If you access Compare the Market via Top Cashback you can often get a few pounds back too.

Comment

To be honest, I rarely get excited at the prospect of a holiday, and tend not to even think about it until a day or two before we go. Now though, I'm in a state of total lethargy where holidays are concerned. I have just had a demand for the payment for our cruise round Japan in September. Who do they think they are kidding? Japan won't let us in, we won't allow travel to Japan without quarantine on return, and our cruise agent hasn't even attempted to contact us about booking flights anyway. Celebrity are still advertising the cruise. I have simply replied that I'm surprised they have asked for the money in the circumstances. My OH is badgering about a Caribbean cruise in Feb. next year. I'm so far going selectively deaf when it's mentioned!

Comment

To be honest, I rarely get excited at the prospect of a holiday, and tend not to even think about it until a day or two before we go. Now though, I'm in a state of total lethargy where holidays are concerned. I have just had a demand for the payment for our cruise round Japan in September. Who do they think they are kidding? Japan won't let us in, we won't allow travel to Japan without quarantine on return, and our cruise agent hasn't even attempted to contact us about booking flights anyway. Celebrity are still advertising the cruise. I have simply replied that I'm surprised they have asked for the money in the circumstances. My OH is badgering about a Caribbean cruise in Feb. next year. I'm so far going selectively deaf when it's mentioned!

Comment

I'm both excited and a tad nervous about my forthcoming cruise in August. I am looking forward to getting back out to sea on one of Fred's 'new' ships.
                            I am a little nervous though that despite having both jabs, the covid test at the terminal might be positive or inconclusive, in which case I won't be allowed to board the ship.
                            Jill

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
                              With you on the excitement.
                              The only holiday I've got 'excited' about in the last few years was the holiday which was cancelled this coming October. We had a Northern Lights trip booked and I was so looking forward to it for the pure reason it was so different from the usual.
                              Hey ho, can't be helped. Plenty more cruises on the seas in years to come when the world recognises this virus isn't going away so deal with it sensibly instead of with paranoia.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X