• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we forget cruising in 2022?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should we forget cruising in 2022?

As a follow up to the 2021 thread which I still update occasionally

https://www.cruise.co.uk/forum/forum...uising-in-2021

We had one of our 2022 watch list pulled from under us by Marella last week

Just before lockdown(March 2020) we had been following the far east options by Marella they get great reviews and were great value often getting down to £1,500pp 14n AI including flights to Asia.

They had put them back on the schedules for 2022

https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/t...cruises-update

Due to the ongoing uncertainty with international cruising, Marella Cruises has unfortunately cancelled its planned sailings on Marella Discovery 2, from 1st November 2021 to 30th April 2022 inclusive. This includes all Asia sailings and Ancient Affair and Mediterranean Islands sailings from Cyprus.
    For now they have Med, Canaries and Caribbean on the schedules

As already reported some lines have pulled their early 2022 extended voyages as it is unlikely they will be able to operate.

Such a shame!

Comment

I'm hoping to cruise to the Med late this year.

No idea if I will.

​​​​​I now try not to get my hopes up too much.

Comment

Should we forget cruising in '22?

Short answer

NO

Comment

I think cruising/ travelling could be single country only in 2022

I love sailing between continents visiting multiple countries and I have one late Dec 22 on my watch list. Mentally I am now moving it to 2023. Pessimistic - no but just being practical.

The whole world needs to achieve a minimum level of vaccination before it can be truly opened up - heck most of Europe will quarantine UK travellers. The U.K. Has kindly exported the Delta variant to Portugal

Hey ho

Annie
          Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 27th June 2021, 10:40 AM.

Comment

I’m not. 2022 is our big cruise year 🤞It is what it is. We can moan, groan and grumble. If it’s not safe, we won’t be going. February 2022 Caribbean cruise will be the first test for us.

Comment

9/11 changed the way we fly, possibly forever, and I do wonder if Covid will change the way we cruise forever if the scientists are correct in saying that Covid is here to stay and it’s up to us to live with it in some form or other.

I can well see those of us of a certain age will continue with social distancing in some form or other and mask wearing has already proved to reduce the amount of cold and flu epidemics, and from a personal view I am feeling more comfortable wearing a mask as a norm in supermarkets, shops and crowded places.

But this does leave me with a problem regarding cruising. By the mid 1970’s I was bored with the limitations of cruising ex UK (Southampton) and only ever now consider it for a few days (forum) jolly. A cruise for me starts with a flight to somewhere far more exciting than Southampton and a trawl through the Bay of Biscay.

After 9/11 flying became a PITA whereby we are all treated as potential terrorists, arriving three hours before a long haul flight to go through body scanners, luggage scanners and OMG if your after shave bottle is one millilitre over size it’s taken from you probably to be subjected to a controlled explosion somewhere on Salisbury Plain. (Joke).

Now we have the added testing for Covid on top of all that palaver, and as much as I have loved flying, both as a profession and a pastime, I just cannot bring myself to consider flying to join a cruise ship, only then to be faced with yet another set of rules, regulations and restrictions.

At the moment I am happy to wait and read of the trials and tribulations of those who do manage to complete a cruise and can convince me that the enjoyment/experience has now doubly increased in line with the prices………Wilba
              Wilba

Comment

I think we view Cruising with Covid in a slightly different light Wilba.

Like you, we have visited a large percentage of our world and but we've been content to let the shop be our destination on many a cruise over the past few years of cruising. I know we're very lucky with the amount of days at sea we normally pack in each year, and ignoring any new Covid constraints, apart from long haul being off the menu next year, by cruise ship at any rate not a lot has changed for us.

I've lived in constant heat and sunshine so the tropics and Med are great to visit [and we will be visiting S.E.Asia again] but not a requirement and so really, add masks [which I'm happy to wear] and a spot of social distancing and it's a case of plus ça change plus c'est la même chose.

Comment

I hope not, as I have cruises booked into early 2023.

The first next year is a round trip out of Cape Town, which I booked last summer as it is a brand new itinerary.
                  2018-
                  Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                  NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                  Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                  Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                  Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

I think cruising will/should/need to be up and running by Spring 2022. I have two cruises booked for next year, May and Sept, both of which are Med cruises and one takes in Cyprus and Israel which we haven’t visited before. I don’t think I’d like to cruise outwith Europe next year. I’ve not cruised as far afield as some forum members but I would like to someday………..if I can get hubby to fly more than 10hours.

We will need to learn to live with the virus and do whatever personally makes you feel safe which may be to continue wearing masks, social distance and hand gel or keep doing one or two of those or not doing any.
                    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                      As a follow up to the 2021 thread which I still update occasionally

https://www.cruise.co.uk/forum/forum...uising-in-2021

We had one of our 2022 watch list pulled from under us by Marella last week

Just before lockdown(March 2020) we had been following the far east options by Marella they get great reviews and were great value often getting down to £1,500pp 14n AI including flights to Asia.

They had put them back on the schedules for 2022

https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/t...cruises-update

For now they have Med, Canaries and Caribbean on the schedules

As already reported some lines have pulled their early 2022 extended voyages as it is unlikely they will be able to operate.
                      I have one booked with RCL, they haven't updated their policy yet. My agent rang me the other day to book the flights, so we shall see ......................................Carol

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
                        I’m not. 2022 is our big cruise year 🤞It is what it is. We can moan, groan and grumble. If it’s not safe, we won’t be going. February 2022 Caribbean cruise will be the first test for us.
                        Oh I think cruising will be safe. Whether the Rest of the World will want foreign nationals and cruise ships to enter their territories is another question.

Annie

Comment

I have most definitely not given up on Cruising for 2022. I have one booked for May and I'm still looking for others later in the year.

I gave up on flying for the reasons Wilba highlighted. I never did enjoy the hanging around at airports before the added security checks so now I've resigned myself to cruises from the UK or holidays within these shores.

Life is too short to sit and wait for Covid to go away, if it ever does.
                          Jill

Comment

I wont be booking any cruises that far in advance with the uncertainty whether they will go ahead or not or still go ahead but to ports deviated from the original itinerary. By leaving it last minute it gives more certainty.
                            But one thing I will say - we are doing a 3night seacation and NEVER have I been so stressed out about a cruise holiday.
                            Making sure the Travel Ins fits their criteria, getting hold of the Covid status form
                            Worrying if we will pass the covid test - there is no reason why we shouldnt but you never know!
                            Stressing over embarkation with a paperfree app that doesnt work!
                            The thought of turning up with no embarkation papers, nothing tangible fills me with anxiety.
                            The data on Princess from cruise personaliser to app has been scrambled, wrong DOB's, My husband now has my name!, Hes no longer travelling with me - according to the app anyway!
                            I fear turning up and them saying well this name and this DOB is not whats on the booking and how can I prove it with nothing to print off!

And this is just 3 nights local cruise.

No I will wait it out and book last minute when things have hopefully settled for longer and further afield cruises

Comment

I have always believed in Value for Money whatever I am buying into, and looking at the prices for ‘22/’23 cruises I consider it no longer the case.

If cruise prices remained at pre Covid levels, I could be tempted to take a punt on a 7 nighter for late next year and live with the additional hassle, but I can’t get my head around the prices being asked.

If I am paying double money, I expect double the quality experience, and that is never going to happen with all the restrictions in place………Wilba

Wilba

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X