• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we forget cruising in 2021?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should we forget cruising in 2021?

Should we forget cruising in 2021? Although 2 months ago see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF8erVrjk_w

I came across this by chance, I don't know if he is a respected commentator or a wild guesser.

If he is correct even cruise lines are discounting 2021. Although his views are based primarily on the American market no doubt other countries will be very similar.

Here is a more recent one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvh3BUa_M1c

A little more optimistic?

Comment

Following on from a comment I made a few mins ago on Now it begins thread, Chris Chiames, Carnival Corp. Chief Communications Officer said two days ago in an interview with John Heald

“Sometimes the answer is truly “we don’t know” and that’s the honest truth right now when anyone asks me “When will cruising resume?”

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
        Following on from a comment I made a few mins ago on Now it begins thread, Chris Chiames, Carnival Corp. Chief Communications Officer said two days ago in an interview with John Heald

“Sometimes the answer is truly “we don’t know” and that’s the honest truth right now when anyone asks me “When will cruising resume?”
        I think that's the only answer anyone can give. Even if we reach the stage where the virus is completely under control here, it doesn't follow that other countries will achieve that or that other countries will welcome cruise ships. A cruise round Britain or a cruise to nowhere has no appeal to me.

Comment

Do any of them mention the crew and how that would/could/may work?
          Will they be tested? Will they need to be vaccinated? Will they be quarantined on the ship throughout?

More questions , then answers. For now will just have to carry on decorating, gardening and watching TV.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post
            Do any of them mention the crew and how that would/could/may work?
            Will they be tested? Will they need to be vaccinated? Will they be quarantined on the ship throughout?

More questions , then answers. For now will just have to carry on decorating, gardening and watching TV.
            Royal Caribbean Will Require Crew Members To Get Coronavirus Vaccines - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

Annie

Comment

OK, so until the crews home countries get hold of the vaccine, and vaccinate the younger population (as they are ususually crew), then the cruise ships will not have any crew. Does seem to make 2021 very unlikely.

Comment

OK, so until the crews home countries get hold of the vaccine, and vaccinate the younger population (as they are ususually crew), then the cruise ships will not have any crew. Does seem to make 2021 very unlikely.
                Depends upon a country's vaccination policy?? :

Indonesia's young given vaccine first to protect economy (telegraph.co.uk)

Annie

Comment

Not necessarily.

Once their own country's government obligations are fulfilled, the world's largest vaccine producer, India, is hoping to export to the private market and in the next few months. Will cruise lines buy in if they're able to? It might be seen as queue jumping but one can't blame the private sector if they are able tio buy in to vaccinate their workers.

Plus, once various countries get their vaccines, as Annie pointed out, they might have different policies on priority groupings.

Comment

As someone whose only interest is in 'normal' cruising 2021 is almost certainly a write off. I have in mind a Cunard transatlantic plus USA/Canada cruise for September 2022 to tie in with a post cruise stay in New York but there are more questions than answers for me to book it now.

Comment

I am living in hope... I booked a fred cruise for November, ( my april one having been cancelled ) thinking that if it aint going in November then that will be the end of cruising, and of course banking on my fred xmas one this year... Was very much missed last year............ Not getting any ins. though till I know something is going, Like everybody else I paid a whole year ins. and got nothing back, How can ins. companys get away withwhat amounts to extortion, i.e if you claim you have to pay extra next year, even if you dont claim you still have to pay extra, think I am in the wrong businessHeather x

Comment

Originally posted by ev'n'clive, HENGOED View Post
                        I am living in hope... I booked a fred cruise for November, ( my april one having been cancelled ) thinking that if it aint going in November then that will be the end of cruising, and of course banking on my fred xmas one this year... Was very much missed last year............ Not getting any ins. though till I know something is going, Like everybody else I paid a whole year ins. and got nothing back, How can ins. companys get away withwhat amounts to extortion, i.e if you claim you have to pay extra next year, even if you dont claim you still have to pay extra, think I am in the wrong businessHeather x
                        It’s not extortion, it’s business. A business practice we might not like if the product isn’t used, or have to pay extra for the next renewal, but that’s insurance for you.

Comment

Originally posted by ev'n'clive, HENGOED View Post
                          I do think insurance companies should be held to account for annual holiday insurance from March last year 2020. We paid for a whole year's insurance in March 2020 and went nowhere. They cannot justify charging for 12 months when some months we were not even allowed to travel and at the moment, it is illegal to go on holiday as ministers have been saying on the daily briefings. They should recognise this and give partial refunds for the months they were insuring nothing as we were not allowed to travel. What shocked me was that the insurance company put the price up for renewal, even though they had a full year's premium out of us with no holidays to insure. So we cancelled for this year altogether. They even tried persuading us to stop and asked why we were cancelling. I told them we had paid for nothing last year and was not about to make the same mistake again.

Customers have long memories on how they are treated by organisations when things are difficult. We had a hotel booking with one company. Whilst every other holiday company gave us credit to be used at a later date, this particular company took our £100 deposit and kept it, despite the holiday/hotel not being open that month. We have decided to never book with this hotel chain ever again. This is now a long term loss to this chain as we have stayed often 3-4 times per year, every year. Over the next few years, they will have lost thousands from us. Some organisations do not consider that customers will vote with their feet and remember bad service. For those companies that were flexible and fair, we will continue to book and move our hotel bookings to them instead. Opening hotels are going to be massively difficult, money grabbing is not the way to keep long term custom.

Comment

No one has a crystal ball. At times I wish I had as we’re constantly having to cancel, rebook and cancel time and time again. The holiday companies and airlines must be as frustrated as we are. We have completely written off 2021.

Comment

I was told by someone in the cruise industry that Saga are planning to cruise again in May and have therefore started the process of getting their crews and ships ready.

Apparently, they realise that it's a big gamble because getting the crews quarantined, vaccinated and trained for the latest cruising protocol takes 3 months.

They are working on the basis that given the age demographic of their passengers, those that wanted the vaccine would have had both jabs by then.

The main problem of course will be which ports will be willing to accept cruise ships in May.

None of us know at this point, so we can all watch with interest.

I am still keeping my fingers crossed for my July cruise round the UK/Ireland with Fred. However, if they can't do their other planned itineraries elsewhere in Europe, will they want to risk bringing their crews back from their homelands for just UK/Ireland trips?

Somehow I doubt it but I am forever optimistic.
                              Jill

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X