• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World cruise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World cruise

So far we have resisted looking at any cruises, brochures arrive almost daily and gone straight in the bin But with a vaccine in sight we are starting to consider our plans for future holidays
    We are in the fortunate position that we could book a world cruise if we wanted to but not sure we do.
    My first concern is will cruising be the same as it was by January. I really would not enjoy being tied to ships excursions or having lots of restrictios on board for such a long cruise.
    Insurance is a concern too. Our annual insurance is not suitable and the companies we have contacted are saying that if we book now with the current travel restrictions we wont be covered even though we wouldn't be going until January.
    The 2 cruises we are considering are P&O Aurora and Fred Olsen Boliaris. The travel agent said only one cabin left on FO so i expect it will be full anyway although i am sure tbere will be some cancellations near the time.
    Still not sure if we really want to do a world cruise or have 2 or 3 shorter ones.
    We have seen ońe to the Carribean on Seabourn wheich looks good and several on Regent we are considering.
    What would be your chouce. One long or several shorter on better ships?

Forget a world cruise they won't be normal or what they are advertising for early 2022, might be back to normal 2023.,
    A lot of the places on the itineraries won't be ready to accept ships even if everyone on the ship is vaccinated.

They are probably not sold out just holding back cabins but keeping a few available so they come up in searches(a lot only show cruises with cabins)

Shorter but long distance are a till park till the picture is clearer where will be open.

There may be some visibility for Q4/Q1 end of Q2 that is where I am starting to look(want to be away Xmas this year) at but not expecting to book unless there is a silly good deal(low deposit) that I can move later or I have some confidence what I am booking has a decent chance of running.

Comment

Morning ILS

JMO far too early to consider a WC.

I doubt NZ/Oz will be fully opened by Q!/2022 and that part of the world has the virus under better control.

I4 day cruises may be possible in 2022.

Annie

Comment

Certainly wouldn't consider it at the moment. Also, even under normal circumstances, I don't
        think I would like to be away from home for that length of time. On reading various world cruise
        itineraries, except for a couple of ports, I HAVE completed one, but in dribs and drabs.

Comment

TD has summed it up. Not on my radar and I don’t think it ever will be tbh. I’ll wait until I see the feedback from the first departing cruises and see what issues arise in regards to ports, on board experiences, entertainment, stage productions etc. We just know it’s not going to be plain sailing, is it ? That said, the cruise lines have had plenty of time to get their protocols in place. However, dealing with real life scenarios and passengers will be the challenge.

Comment

A world cruise would be very problematic, with endless possibilities for itinerary changes, plus being allowed back into this country if they cock it up.

my choice would be Seabourn every time, although Regent have a good product.

Comment

I wouldn’t mind doing segments of a world cruise as I wouldn’t want to be away from home for so long. After a while I get fed up with rich food and just want something simple and normal to eat. Apart from anything else there is no way I would be able to get my prescriptions for that length of time. There is also the fact that we would be suffering from “Super Sammy “ withdrawal symptoms 😂 if we were away for that long.

Take care and stay well. Helen😁

Comment

For me, a world cruise would be too long and I suspect that the different places would become a blur. We have sailed around the world but in many separate cruises, so we had time to savour the individual ports.
                Until I really know what to expect on a post COVID cruise I will not be booking anything. I have managed to get away from paper brochures, but I realize that the many emails I get from cruise companies are going into the trash without reading these days.
                Sheila

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I know you are right but we really need something to look forward to. We were so lucky not having anything booked dont want to blow it now snd have a lot of hassle if things dont go to plan. But what is the alternative?
                  We normally go to India for winter but obviously out of the question now.
                  I am not even sure i will be able to go anywhere after reading the morning paper. Saying the vaccine might not work on people with blood cancer which i have. What a mess we are in.

Comment

ILS if I were you in this present time I’d stick to longer cruises on smaller ships.

I agree we all need something to look forward too.
                    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

I have been asked a few times why we don't complete a whole worldie. My reply is always the same ''Never ever, thank you'' and now, if nothing else, the lockdowns have confirmed how important friends and family are to our well-being.The idea of spending so long away from home is not to be contemplated.

We stick to segments and more cruises throughout the year. I recommend it.

Comment

It is not known yet how long the vaccine will give us protection. There are suggestions we will need a regular jab, as with flu.

I read today that the Oxford/AZ team are working on a new formulation of the vaccine to take account of the virus variants that have emerged. How many more variants will there be?

I have no plans to book a cruise until the situation has been resolved. There would be no pleasure in spending a lot of money on a world cruise, only to be confined to your cabin after an outbreak, and not allowed off the ship.

Comment

For you ILS

Fred. Olsen launches 79-night Chilean Fjords cruise (seatrade-cruise.com)

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                            Some interesting ports there, some we have visited but many new ones. 79 nights is too long for us though. In South America you can experience a whole year's worth of weather in one cruise - sweltering in Buenos Aires and freezing in Ushuaia, with everything in between.

Comment

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post

Some interesting ports there, some we have visited but many new ones. 79 nights is too long for us though. In South America you can experience a whole year's worth of weather in one cruise - sweltering in Buenos Aires and freezing in Ushuaia, with everything in between.
                              I agree re the temperature range. When I visited Ushuaia, it was a balmy 54F - I commented on how warm it was to the local guide and the cruisers, from San Diego, thought I was mad.

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X